Week 4 👻 Medium 🔮

Welcome to the fourth week of Medium 霊媒探偵城塚翡翠!

Home thread for announcements, wiki, etc
See all posts for this club

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Up to Approximate Pages Percent Paperback page
Week 1 * - last sentence ending 最後になった 31 8% 40
Week 2 * - last sentence ending 視ていたのだろう 26 14% 67
Week 3 * - last sentence ending 明かしてください 26 19% 94
Week 4 end of 第一話 24 24% 118
Week 5 * - last sentence ending じいぅと見つめていた 28 31% 155
Week 6 * - last sentence ending 席に立った 25 37% 181
Week 7 end of 第二話 29 43% 210
Week 8 * - last sentence ending 女の子です 29 49%
Week 9 * - last sentence ending 見つかったそうです 33 56%
Week 10 * - last sentence ending 愛しげに抱きしめた 33 64%
Week 11 * - last sentence ending はそう判断した 26 70%
Week 12 English sentence containing “Iced coffee” 29 76%
Week 13 English sentence containing “Grimoire” 29 81%
Week 14 * - last sentence ending その経緯を知りたいです 44 90%
Week 15 until 解説 29 96%

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 4 of Medium?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

1 Like

So I think I’ve finished this week’s reading - just to double check, we’re not reading the interlude after the story ends?

As for the mystery I found it quite disappointing. Mai was the only female suspect mentioned, and we knew the killer was a woman, so there wasn’t really a twist there? I also think an obvious change in glasses frames after a murder is silly, it would have made sense to pick up a similar pair and assume no one would notice…

7 Likes

Correct

Same. I think they set us up for more maybe by suggesting maybe something was pushing Mai to kill her? Like an evil spirit? But it was such a light suggestion and honestly just kinda of ‘meh’ either way. The solving of the case felt very sudden, and not very satisfying.

6 Likes

I wonder if the mysteries are going to be more focused on how they find the proof using Hisui’s powers, rather than who is responsible for the murders. But it wasn’t the most amazing chain of deduction either way. The last book of mystery short stories I read was 謎解きはディナーのあとで 2 | L30 (learnnatively.com) which not only had a much better mystery linked to glasses but also was a lot tighter in how the mysteries were plotted and resolved. Curious to see how the book develops as it got great recommendations from some blogs I respect highly!

7 Likes

And I can’t believe he confirmed this at her place of work? At my workplace nobody would ever be able to pinpoint a change in glasses on a day, my last glasses change (gold frames to blue transparent ones) wasn’t even noticed for like a month :laughing:

6 Likes

More thoughts after finishing this weeks reading:

• I hope this is just some kind of setup, like making the first “case” really simple and one dimensional to either get back to it later to add some more context or to surprise readers more when they expect very straight forward cases but from now on they’re more complex :smiley:

• The characters feel really off to me. I find it really weird that 香月 simply believes in everything 翡翠 says/does regarding her abilities from the get-go and I find it a bit exhausting that she is so timid and unsure of herself. The motive of 舞衣 was also really simple and very unsatisfying. I read a lot of Agatha Christie books in the last year and this feels a bit lacking in comparison, although I don’t even think Christie (looking at it from today’s view, since many works built on what she wrote) made the most compelling crime stories either.

• The deduction bored me a bit :laughing: It was hard for me to get through this part with my full attention.

6 Likes

Actually that’s a fair point, I once cut 30cm off my hair, taking it from waist length to shoulder length, and a week later a colleague asked me if I’d dyed my hair :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, it was a bit odd that they made a big deal of getting her to be the medium for the victim’s ghost but then it didn’t actually produce any more information than we had right at the start – the killer was a woman, she was looking for something, the place was in the area of the floor with the broken glass.

I wonder if the author is struggling to balance the supernatural evidence side here with wanting a “fair” mystery story where readers have a chance at figuring out whodunnit as they go along? A storyline where all the key evidence only turns up at the end by getting it from the ghost would perhaps not feel fair in that sense.

Anyway, I’m enjoying reading this overall though I do agree that the book so far has some weaknesses. (This also seems a bit light-novel-like to me :slightly_smiling_face: )

7 Likes

OK I finished and the dull motivation and lack of any tensions aside, the pace also bothered me. The narrative was very patient with the build up and introduction but then jumped to the conclusion all of a sudden.
Besides, some concepts were left under developed I guess, like the crying woman.
This case went so smoothly and straightforward. Almost TOO straightforward. So much that makes me believe there has to be sth more.
If the rest of the stories turn out to be like this one I really expect a final twist which ties the stories together (like, imagine there’s a bigger mystery beyond Yuika’s murder, and we are missing the hints now).If not, I’d also think this feels more like a light novel.

8 Likes

some mysterious water droplets showed up on my desk today :melting_face:

8 Likes

It’s been nice knowing you. o7

6 Likes

My personal experience with Japanese is that they notice more details about someone’s appearance than people in my own country do. So, this wasn’t too unbelievable to me. :sweat_smile:

Overall, I though this “case” was a bit anti-climactic… and kinda too long for my taste. The book has very good ratings, so I am not losing hope yet, but it’s a tad disappointing right now. :face_holding_back_tears:

8 Likes

Still, a random guy calling/showing up at your workplace (it’s not like he’s a policeman) and asking you about the glasses of your co worker seems very weird to me :smiley: I would call the police on him or at least check in with my co worker before I answer weird specific questions from strangers :thinking: But now I can’t remember if he was maybe already familiar with her workplace. But I hadn’t such a huge problem with it, I just think it’s a bit unrealistic that people would knew the exact same day someone changes something little about their appearance, even if they noticed it :thinking:

5 Likes

IIRC he had met her before and they knew each other to some degree.

4 Likes

They were in the same university photo club. She was also a close friend of 結香 and he was close with her…

It seems like a lot of people were negative about this part, but I actually enjoyed it :sweat_smile: It might be because I went through it in a single seating instead of having time to think about it, though.

7 Likes

Same! I understand the points made about the weaknesses in the story and characterizations so far, but I still found it to be an enjoyable read.

I read the interlude from week 5’s part, but I think I’ll hold off on the rest of chapter 2 for now so I can read all of it together next week. :slight_smile:

5 Likes