Welcome to week three of 黒い森の記憶!
Home thread for announcements, wiki, etc
We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):
|Week 3 - Feb 12
|Read up until chapter 2, section 3
I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread
Law and Order
- Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
- Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
- You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
- Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses
- Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
To gauge participation - a poll!
Are you reading week 3 of 黒い森の記憶?
- Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
- I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
- I’m just following the discussion
Caught up to this week as well, and now I’m back on schedule!
Weirdly this was the most boring week for me despite there being a dangerous man in the house. I am inclined to think our dear doctor is actually much more dangerous, although why he is taking such time to act is a bit lost on me. Also clear that the wounded man is not the sender of the doll and other items. I think he’s just a distraction? Another ‘thing’ that happens to annoy our old man doctor MC.
I agree, taking the time to describe all the old man’s everyday actions in detail is starting to get old. That said, I’m convinced the dangerous man has been in the house all along, and it’s not the fugitive. However, the old man is clearly afraid of someone, hence the broken glass under the windows and the knife under the mattress. Who, though?
double personality and the old man is afraid of himself
Though that wouldn’t really make sense for the knife.
This is actually quite likely
I found this week’s reading very chill, and I probably managed to fully sink into a Japanese (!) story (with losing track of time and place and all) for the first time or so? I mean, without noticing that I’m actually reading or something. I guess that glass of wine helped as well
Anyways, our doctor’s dream was a bit scary, although my very first association was that of an operating room, what with the white light and all. But then the flowing blood and the dying person and the teeth that came out, that did not really feel like a surgeon’s story any more I also believe that our doctor has done or know wayyyyy more than he wants everybody to believe.
I thought it was very kind of him to help our fugitive, probably that’s the doctor’s instinct in him though? I can also relate to the sentiment that the older one gets, the less afraid one becomes. I mean, the end is nigh anyway, no? So no need to get overly excited about mundane things.
I will say that the more of this author I read the more I think he’s just good at writing things which are simply enjoyable. His plots have never wowed me, and I’ve never considered his characters to be all that deep, and yet somehow most of the stories are satisfying and I keep going back.
I felt the way you described with a couple of his books now where I just…forgot I was reading in Japanese
Just caught up with this part.
Hope the stakes get higher soon
I know there is a serial killer loose and all but all the people we have been with so far don’t care much. Even the violent hobo seems like chill dude after eating a snickers.
Maybe the killer is hiding behind a SEP field.