黒い森の記憶 🌳 Home Thread 🧠

Welcome to the home thread for 黒い森の記憶!:deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree: :brain: :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree:

Week Up to Approximate Pages Approx. Percent Paperback page
Week 1 - Jan 29 Read up until chapter 1, section 4 33 13% 38
Week 2 - Feb 5 Read through end of chapter 1 33 25% 71
Week 3 - Feb 12 Read up until chapter 2, section 3 26 34% 98
Week 4 - Feb 19 Read up until chapter 2, section 5 30 45% 128
Week 5 - Feb 26 Read up until chapter 3, section 2 29 55% 157
Week 6 - Mar 4 Read through end of chapter 3 50 73% 207
Week 7 - Mar 11 Read through end of book (not inclusive of 解読) 66 97% 275

The page counts are based on the paperback, my copy was published in 1984. I normally wouldn’t push over 60 pages but the other cuts I tried felt more awkward and since this book looks pretty dialogue heavy (so less dense pages) I think it should still work. I did my best to approximate percentages, but they likely won’t match your ereader perfectly.

Will you be reading along when the club starts on January 29th?

• Yes
  • No, but I want to click a poll
  • I’ll read it but at my own pace
0 voters

Which version of the book will you be reading

• Physical copy
  • eBook
0 voters

This post will be made a wiki, :arrow_down_small: please put characters notes below :arrow_down_small:

Character notes

田中太郎 is here as an example

漢字 ふりがな ノート
田中太郎 たなか・たろう サラリーマン、30代、殺人犯
新条幸造 しんじょうくぞう 老人
宮里久仁子 みやさとくにこ 幸造の娘
美子 よしこ 久仁子の娘
板谷広樹 いたやひろき 新条の知り合い
町田 まちだ 警部
千田 昌和 せんだまさかす 被害者の母
千田克子 せんだかつこ 被害者
3 Likes

Thanks for the schedule! Looking forward to it :blush:

Just to make sure, when you say „until“ you mean „until the start“ i.e. „not including“, is that correct?

2 Likes

I say I’ll be reading along when the club starts, but this book is in the same order as セーラー服と機関銃, and cdjapan didn’t have that immediately in stock, so the whole order is a bit delayed. Still, it’s an Akagawa Jirou and the pace is pretty lenient so I should be able to catch up if it hasn’t arrived by the start date…

6 Likes

Yep. Up until. Not inclusive. Treat the one listed as a stop sign.

3 Likes

Gotcha, thanks! :+1:

2 Likes

I will be checking in probably every other week as I prefer to read a full chapter at once so I will be on pace every second week. :clown_face:

5 Likes

A few hours later than I usually try to post these - sorry about that!

Week 1 is open! :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree:

6 Likes

week 2

heading out the door, sorry for any typos

4 Likes

Week 3 is open :dolls:

4 Likes

Week 4 is open :syringe:

3 Likes

Week 5 is open :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

5 Likes

Week 6 is open :shower:

3 Likes

FINAL WEEK IS OPEN :hole: :stethoscope:

6 Likes

Since this book is back on Kindle unlimited again right now, I was wondering if I should read it. How did you all like it and would you recommend it?

5 Likes

I liked it a lot! The writing was a lot more serious than あなたも殺人犯になれる in case you read that one over at WK, but every now and then we still got some slapstick moments. The story was gripping (to the extent of me missing my train over it :woman_facepalming:) and while we (the readers) had some gripes with it here and there, it was largely plausible, I‘d say. Also a lot of guessing and re-guessing on our ends, which was entertaining in and of itself :grin: Moreover, it’s a super quick read (low level plus a fair bit of dialogue further in) so even if you dislike it, you won’t suffer for long :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

While I wouldn’t say it’s a book you shouldn’t miss, it was enjoyable and kept me guessing till the end. It’s also a fast, easy read, apart from some atmospheric descriptions at the start of chapters (which I liked and wanted more of). If you have ready access to it through Kindle Unlimited, I see no reason not to give it a try :slight_smile:

5 Likes