What are you reading today?

@brandon is it possible for you to get affiliate links with audiobook.jp for you to add next to books like how you do with the Amazon links? :thinking: Or will the audiovisual section strictly be things that are considered watching materials?

2 Likes

I believe @cat looked into this and there wasnā€™t really an affiliate program unfortunatelyā€¦ no access to an api. I know audiobook.jp is the go to place for audiobooks, so itā€™s probably worthwhile to spend more time on it.

It seems that audible does continue to improve their selection thankfully and those should be easy to add.

I donā€™t think audiovisual will include audiobooks. Frankly, Iā€™m a little confused as how I should handle audiobooks, but itā€™s something Iā€™ll think on (with everyoneā€™s input) after the launch of audiovisual.

5 Likes

Iā€™m gonna start digging and seeing if any Japanese Youtubers who recommend audio books might have an affiliate link with something that isnā€™t region-locked.

I wonder if thereā€™s a university that might have one? Like how some universities get discounts from specific stores if they show that theyā€™re a student? I wonder if theyā€™d agree to a similar concept since this is a website dedicated to learning resources.

probably for now, it might be our best bet to just have an Audiobooks category or topic where people can suggest and discuss?

2 Likes

Although I do sometimes listen to them standalone, frequently I listen along to what Iā€™m reading with the audiobook. I think doing something like the proposed ā€œwatched with Japanese subs vs watched withoutā€ from the audiovisual post could be applied to novels. Listened to audiobook vs read alongside audiobook vs read only and just link the audiobook alongside the other links in the novelā€™s page

2 Likes

They have an affiliate program but it was unclear to me if you could participate with a bank outside of Japan :sweat_smile:
Edit: here are the links I sent forever ago if anyone wants to take a look. Link 1, Link 2

And Audible definitely has an affiliate program.

Currently already done, although not yet searchable.

1 Like

Personally, I had no issue following the story. Do you know what exactly was causing you issues?
The characters donā€™t get much depth, but I donā€™t expect them from a LN. As far as LN goes, I think this has more actual story than a lot of other long-running series (looking at you Oregairu :upside_down_face:). Like I said, I was engaged and thatā€™s all I really want when I read. :smiling_face:

(btw. there is also an audiobook for 夏ćøć®ćƒˆćƒ³ćƒćƒ«)

3 Likes

I see! I think it was the fact that they didnā€™t really get to the ā€œpointā€ a few pages in. Iā€™m the type that wants to get to the main climax as fast as possible :rofl:

1 Like

TIL 10 different books win the ęœ¬å±‹å¤§č³ž every year.

1 Like

That being said, they are ranked.
Itā€™s only based on sales, though, so it doesnā€™t have much merit. The top entry is just the one with the best advertisement, I feel.

2 Likes

I noticed, which honestly just made me even more confused, considering theyā€™re all considered winners.

Is it really just based on sales? I thought the staff actually voted on them.

If I remember correctly, the staff pick the 10, then they get ordered through their sales in the next few weeks? months?

Edit: hmm the wikipedia page seems to indicate that itā€™s also staff voting on the 10 nominated to rank them. Technically only the first rank gets the ā€œgrand prizeā€.

1 Like

Another benefit is that you actually own the audiobooks you buy.* As mentioned, they do have an app, and itā€™s pretty good from the bit Iā€™ve used it. But most important to me was that they let me download DRM-free mp3 files that I can use however I want.

(I assume Audible doesnā€™t allow this since itā€™s Amazon, but happy to be told otherwise.)

* Iā€™m not 100% this is the case for every book, but it was the case for 恋恌ćæć®å­¤åŸŽ.

6 Likes

They donā€™t but itā€™s pretty easy to work around. I only buy Audible exclusive works but I make a point to really own them. Brandon would have my head if I linked how on the forums but I trust you can find out :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

If their DRM protection for audiobooks is as robust as it is for ebooks Iā€™m sure itā€™s easy to get around. :joy:

3 Likes

You just need to up your reading speed. A book isnā€™t long if you read fast enough. :rofl: (I am just joking!) But true, the actual ā€˜climaxā€™ isnā€™t until probably 2/3 through, which is why the ending felt lackluster to me. But I enjoy a good setupā€¦ and I enjoy sad stories. So, for me that worked well. :smiley:

3 Likes

Has anybody read å¤©å›½ć®ęœ¬å±‹ by ę¾ä¹…ę·³? If you have, did you enjoy it?

1 Like

I started 恋恌ćæć®å­¤åŸŽ yesterday and I find the MC really annoying. Which is bad, because so far, you spend most of your time in her head. :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

:joy: now Iā€™m a bit scared because Iā€™m planning on reading it since it looked interesting. Whatā€™s annoying about her? so i can mentally prepare lol

The MC (äø­å­¦1幓ē”Ÿ) is very anxious and weak and shy and being in the head of someone like this is justā€¦ not pleasant. Her ā€œinner voiceā€ just irks meā€¦ Iā€™ll put it behind spoilers, but itā€™s stuff you read about her in the first chapter: She was bullied at school, but the bullying really only was a girl she liked that didnā€™t want to be friends with her, and the popular girl laughing at her. Like, as far as bullying goes, thatā€™s harmless. But because of this, she was traumatised and gets psychosomatic stomachaches and thus isnā€™t going to schoolā€¦ but she wonā€™t tell her parents why.
The story so far is interesting, though. And I am curious to learn more about the other characters. They seem much more interesting than the MC. (Also: I am hoping for character development.)

For the record, I didnā€™t find the MC annoying at any point. There were times I couldnā€™t relate to her decisions, but itā€™s not exactly easy for me to relate to a middle school girl in general. :joy: Also, Iā€™ll just say that itā€™s not as simple as @Biblio is making it out to be. (After all, thereā€™s still a lot of book left!)

4 Likes