What are you reading today?

I didn’t know this existed! I just got a one year LingQ subscription for over 100€, and this is less than half the price :melting_face:

4 Likes

:sob: Maybe they’ll refund you? FWIW I think this parses better

4 Likes

I finished 영어 잘하는 사람들의 작은 습관. It was great and now I’ve officially finished my first book in Korean! I’d recommend it to upper beginner/lower intermediate learners since there’s a lot of repeated vocabulary around a specific topic, making it much easier than a novel imo.

If anyone has non-fiction recs, please let me know! I’d love to read more.

5 Likes

Just finished 할머니의 비밀 일기 | L17, which I can’t recommend for the story, but is good reading practice.

5 Likes

Wow, just going off of your review but the plot of that book sounds very similar to 엄마를 부탁해 | L30?? except perhaps not as good. :laughing:

2 Likes

I finished 너의 유니버스 | L21 a couple of days ago, and today I read through 4(!) children’s books: 하멜른의 아이들 | L16, 이 세상에서 제일 예쁜 못난이 | L14, 이게 뭘까? | L13, and 어른 세계에 온 걸 환영해 | L15. I’ve written reviews for all of them, but in a nutshell, they were all “meh”. :expressionless:

I think I read most of my easier children’s books (<L12) last year, so I may try to plough through the rest of the ones I have that seem to be <L20. :triumph:

4 Likes

The books I’ve finished over the past couple of days, with emoticon reviews:

:smiley: 파벨 아저씨의 개 | L15
:neutral_face: 세상을 비추는 아이들 | L10
:face_exhaling: 눈 오는 날 | L18 (in 강원도 사투리)
:disappointed: 펭귄이랑 받아쓰기 | L16

They all have actual reviews as well that go into detail.

I made a list that I’m planning to work through, and I’ve just started 꿈에서 만나 | L25??, which so far has lots of new vocab related to epidemics… Maybe not the quick read I was hoping for! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Finished the second book in the list:

I’ve started the third, 일 퍼센트 | L22??, which is about a meteor heading towards earth. I’m expecting something like Deep Impact.

I’m also about halfway through 간니닌니 마법의 도서관 1 | L18?? which has been really cute and fun so far!

5 Likes

I started reading 마녀를 잡아라 | L22??, the translation of Roald Dahl’s The witches. I bought it for Christmas on a whim, thinking that it would make for an easier read since I’ve read it many many times. Apparently I forgot everything.

However, it’s still a great book to read! The fact that I have the physical book forces me to not do as many lookups as usual, and I’m surprised at how much I can actually read without those! Plus, a lot of the vocab is repeated multiple times. My edition also has a couple illustrations which actually help a lot.

One subject is introduced, then talked about for the next few paragraphs/pages, and then again with a related topic with new vocab. So that means that once I look up the necessary vocab in that opening paragraph, I can mostly breeze through the next part without lookups. Plus, unlike a certain book club pick, once you accept the whole witches are among us thing, the sentences aren’t too weird. I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s predictable either, but it all makes sense in context.

5 Likes

I ended up finishing 이상한 과자 가게 전천당 1 | L24 which I loved! I’m planning to listen to the audiobook on storytel, although I’m not sure if I’ll reread at the same time or just work on my listening. :thinking:

4 Likes

I just finished reading https://learnnatively.com/book/4408606ff0/. I’m so proud. It’s the first physical Korean book I read. It’s also the first Korean book I ever bought. It was sitting on my shelf for 3 years and finally achieved its purpose as of this week. I’m going to start my next physical book 오리 부리 이야기 tomorrow. Hehe

5 Likes

Another very long review of a very short book! :laughing:

3 Likes

I liked this review! It sounds like an intriguing story; much more mature than the typical children’s book I feel like I tend to see reviewed.

2 Likes

After the heavy subject matter of the previous book, I finished something a bit more lighthearted:

I also sped through 아저씨와 고양이 1 | L17 - I’ve read the series in English and started it in Japanese, so it was an easy read.

I noticed this video on the Yes24 page - worlds colliding! :rofl:

I’ve started another book from my short story list: 명 바꾸기 | L30??, which is about trying to escape a family curse! :skull:

2 Likes