Would anyone be interested in a Chainsawman Book Club?

Ideally we’d start sometime in Feb, maybe have a discord server dedicated to it too, as well as a spreadsheet with some vocab. I’ve read 1-12 in Japanese so I already got a good idea of the series, but I wouldn’t mind rereading them, especially in a group!

The L25 rating is pretty accurate, and it’s def harder than some other “beginner manga” out there, but honestly it gets easier the more books you go, I’m studying for the N3 and I can knock down one of these books in around an hour.

So, would anyone be interested? : )

2 Likes

Iii already have too many things I’m reading, but Chainsaw Man has been on my list after watching the anime (with English subs) - tentatively interested but may join late. It looks like it has full furigana (?), that would help a lot.

1 Like

Depending on the speed of reading and how intensively we read it. I didn’t finish the anime (moving got in the way and I haven’t gotten back to it) but really liked what I did watch. I’d be interested in especially getting help with reading sound effects because that’s somewhere I def see lacking in my manga literacy…

1 Like

Yep, full furi! Really helpful. There is a fair bit of slang terms occasionally and the MC does speak in a rough, slang-y way, but nothing that dictionaries don’t have ;pp

IMO the manga is better than the anime, and also moves a bit quicker. The anime only goes up to half way of the 5th book and cuts down on some plotlines, more details can be found https://www.reddit.com/r/ChainsawMan/comments/zwlym7/the_i_have_finished_the_anime_which_manga_chapter/!

It’s alright if you join late :slight_smile: I don’t plan to read too intensively either.

2 Likes

As mentioned in my other reply, the manga and anime do differ a bit in content, and the anime only goes up to half of volume 5, so expect to see some cool changes here and there! And same, I def lack in SFX, but websites like this help me!

I’ve picked up a fair bit of slang and sfx from csm. It’s really easy to read the fight scenes too!

2 Likes