Audiovisual initial feedback and requests

long, loooooooooong liiiiiiiine...

Long Man GIF - Long Man Sakeru GIFs

:rofl:

5 Likes

There’s still something weird going on with season titles not matching anything on TMDB.

Take é­”æł•ć°‘ć„łăƒȘăƒȘă‚«ăƒ«ăȘたは Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A`s | L25

Why does it have both Japanese and English in the title? The Japanese title on TMDB is simply é­”æł•ć°‘ć„łăƒȘăƒȘă‚«ăƒ«ăȘたはA’s, which is correct. This type of thing is happening for all the seasons for Nanoha, but it’s also a problem for both seasons of K-On, which makes me think there might be a general bug in how the data is pulled or saved.

When will we be able to search video on mobile? Or is there already some hidden way to do that?

Also, I think unifying the search would be nice. Meaning just a single input with both book and video results shown immediately and also when hitting Enter. Right now it’s annoying having to constantly switch back and forth, not to mention when you don’t notice and have to retype the search term (since switching search mode clears the input).

2 Likes

Oh my :joy:

Marked down, will investigate.

it’s technically underneath the second browse dropdown on mobile, but yeah you should be able to toggle between book & video search pages. I will hopefully get to that soon.

As for unifying search, I’m not sure when i’ll do it tbh. I know it’d be nice.

1 Like

I search for videos on mobile by following this link from the original announcement at the top of this thread.

OK. I was just about to post a long discussion/rant about where to put videos that I’ve watched w/ENG subs and how the categories don’t make sense and that there’s still value in watching with ENG subs, and then

I just realized there is a category for “watched with ENG subs”, but it wasn’t showing up in my left-hand-side list until after I put a show into that category. (I decided to try to play with the menus more before posting an uninformed rant. :sweat_smile: ) I’ve been confused for two weeks.
→ @brandon Can you check that users get a refresh to make sure that category shows up? (Maybe the category only shows after touching it? But coming from the book side, it didn’t occur to me to look for it.)

That wasn’t there a minute ago. :confused:

On a somewhat related note, I think the names of the categories with videos could be revisited
 Contrary to books, I’m more likely to stream videos instead of own them, because there’s a much lower cost to watching videos, so it’s easier to consume lots of videos. (I only consume physical books.)

Watching | Finished | Owned | Wish list | English Subs | Stopped
– What does “Owned” mean anymore? Unless I make efforts to download a video, the streaming services will eventually delete the video from their rotation without any decision on my part. So did I really own it?
– What’s the difference with “Wish List”? I can easily put videos in my netflix list with a click. Is it on my wish list? Do I own it?
– Maybe: Wish List → Never Seen
– Maybe: Owned → Queued, Ready to Watch Natively

I’d love to hear other thoughts on how to best use this.

I also think the “L” in “Wish list” should be capitalized, since it’s a title and to be consistent. Sorry, grammar police, guilty.

Edit: One more: If I take a video from Finished to Wish List to English Subs, I get an error “Must input positive number”. But if I switch it back to Finished and then English Subs, there’s no error.

2 Likes

That’s how it works for all the lists/statuses. If you don’t have any entries in a list it doesn’t appear. That’s not specific to the English subs section.

Ha, I had the same confusion/conflict when I first saw this. I decided to use Owned close to its literal meaning, so for things I have non-steaming access to that I can watch whenever I want without risk of streaming services removing them. Then for Wish List I’m putting on shows I may want to get copies of later or are available via streaming services.

It is all a bit confusing though. I’m not sure what I’ve done is even that logical
 I just wanted a clear separation between the two groups and that was the best I could come up with.

3 Likes

What’s the reason for doing it that way? Is it for organizing your library, do they have different viewing priorities?

2 Likes

Same as @seanblue, I’ve been listing stuff I physically own in this space and wishlisting stuff I want see and: know is available to stream or don’t know how to watch it yet.

It’s not ideal, granted.

3 Likes

Just an arbitrary way to organize my library, not really for prioritization.

3 Likes

I use Owned for dvds I own and Wishlist for streaming services and for my dvd wishlist. But even though I prefer physical media, I do usually use streaming services, and I agree that the Wishlist/Owned isn’t the best distinction here (although I’m fine with it). For books, I definitely want a distinction between Wishlist and Owned since people are more likely to actually own their books, but with tv/movies I’d be fine with a simple Watchlist and using a custom list for my dvds.

3 Likes

Hm. That’s not quite true. I don’t have anything in Stopped or Finished, but those two show up in the left-hand list.
Also, if that were true, I’d rather have everything show up anyway and then behave as it does with Stopped or Finished where I click it and it shows “No resources”:

2 Likes

I swear Stopped didn’t appear until I added one. Maybe I’m going crazy. :joy:

2 Likes

Seems like it’s the normal behaviour to not display lists that have no content.

My books list:

My videos list (I’m not using Owned or Stopped here):

4 Likes

I’m actually quite interested on how you’ve been adding videos to your library, as I tried quite hard to make the English Subs category be visible. Have you been adding things via the big popup? Setting a default status and adding a lot of things with one click? Or with the popup below?

It’d be very helpful feedback to hear.

Interesting. Will investigate.

Do we think I should just get rid of it? It may just be simpler to have wish list alone. Can also change to ‘To Watch’

So this is a little dumb, but I believe the behavior is if you’ve ever had an item in a list, then the list filter will appear in your library. I think it should behave as @seanblue described though.

I think a single list just for “Plan to Watch” / “To Watch” / “Planning” (whatever) is pretty reasonable. Anyone who wants to distinguish between how they plan to watch can easily add a custom list.

Ha, yes please. It feels silly to take up space on the left side for empty lists.

1 Like

Understanding now what I should’ve done, I’ll explain how my brain processed everything

First, I’ve been adding videos through Search and Browse. When I found something I wanted, I clicked on Wish List, partly because it’s the default setting and partly because I figured I’d sort it later.
After it was in my Wish List, I used the gear on the right side to change the status. I clicked on Your Status, and with a quick glance my brain thought, along with everything else on the video side, “ah, this is setup the same way as the book side. these categories are the same as the book side”, missing that there’s an extra category at the bottom, also knowing that there’s a separate pull-down for subtitles. Then I clicked on Subtitles to choose ENG subs, but
 “not allowed, use English subs status”
 but
 I’m choosing English Subs
 I don’t get it
 I guess if I watched it with ENG subs then it doesn’t count? I guess that makes sense, since the idea is to consume everything natively. :man_shrugging:
From then on, I gave up on tracking anything with ENG subs (btw, I’m typing ENG to distinguish from the menu). That said, I’m not saying that I want videos with ENG subs to be tracked in my stats or anything. But eventually, as I collected more videos in my library, it started getting messy. Then I wrote a post. :slight_smile:

screen shots

As I just figured out how this works today, I’m inclined to keep separate categories: one for videos that I’m ready to watch next (Owned, To Watch), and one for videos that I’ve never seen, never bought, or never downloaded (and haven’t decided how I’m going to watch, JPN or ENG subs) (Wish List). Just a name change.

Please don’t. It was exactly because I assumed the list was the same as for books, and because I didn’t see another option, and because I assumed the left side list was static, that I didn’t look for another category. Why have a category that’s on the “secret menu”? I know it’s popular to hide lots of things to give a ‘clean’ look, but I hate having to spend 20min on sites clicking on every pixel just to figure out what’s available. I’m a fan of obvious design. My two cents.

2 Likes

So I think this is the key problem area. I added that disallowed option “not allowed use English subs status” explicitly to direct people to use the status for English subs, but I think i’ve worded that option poorly. I think some people just read it as “not allowed”.

Do you think if the option read “Eng subs - use status Eng subs instead” that would’ve made more sense to you?

Yeah, I think I need to ditch owned for videos, agreed.

I can see your point, but it can be unnecessarily noisy and if we were to always enable all the status lists, then we’d need to add extra logic to make it sensible. For instance, if you only add ‘Finished’ books, you shouldn’t see ‘In Progress’ filter listed above ‘Finished’. It’d also be somewhat confusing to have all the list filters, but only items in ‘Finished’. We’d have to have item counts in the lists at the very least.

All’s that to say, in the current system of no item counts and a set order for the lists, I think it’s less intuitive to have all lists show up.

But i’ll keep that thought in mind, those list filters definitely can be improved.

Two thoughts:

1. Maybe it should read: “For Eng subs, return to Status, choose English Subs”
  2. Instead of offering an unclickable option, allow people to click “English Subs” but then change the Status for them
 In other words, the option simply reads: “English subs” 
but when you click on it, it opens a message box explaining something like: This site encourages enjoying material in the native language, so watching in English is not tracked in the stats. Only material in Japanese is tracked. We will change the Status for this video to “Watched with English”. [OK][Cancel] 
And then it’s automatically changed. After 1 or 2 times through this, people will catch on. This way, it doesn’t look like there’s a broken option. (Maybe those steps are not possible to do?)

I’m not sure I follow this. Compared to how it was originally envisioned, I can see that it might be confusing, but the current system has empty lists, and I haven’t seen any complaints about it. It doesn’t break the functionality of the site. And then if you change it to where lists disappear, then for users who have empty lists, won’t it seem like a bug on the site?
Also, for noise on the left side, there’s already 20+ genres
 so
 6 lists is too much but 26 genres is okay? :thinking:
To be clear, it doesn’t bother me either way, really – I just think the site’s behavior should be consistent.

And yes, an item count next to the lists would be cool. :slight_smile:

Edit: to your earlier comment, it’s more the fact that the option is grayed out that made me think that it’s not allowed, not the words.

AUDIOVISUAL UPDATE

FIXED

• @seanblue fixed issues with items in library that were autogenerated by season splits (dates, issues with series volume count)
  • @seanblue disable autocomplete in search
  • Now we update user tv sessions & activities when processing a season split. Backfilled previous splits as well, so all tv session activities should have the right episode numbers and seasons (applies mostly to @Megumin)
  • Added ‘approved’ emails to send when season split request is accepted

UP NEXT:

• More bugs

• Syncing with TMDB. I think season splits are mostly done now.
3 Likes