Audiovisual initial feedback and requests

I think the audiovisual release broke the “rate to save as finished” behavior for books. Previously, if I rated a book that wasn’t on my list yet (I do this for all manga) it automatically got marked as finished, which was very convenient. I suspect something in the new “mark as finished?” popup that appears when rating a video broke this.

2 Likes

Yeah I realized last night that accessing the video search page is pretty impossible for mobile… the only way is to click the header dropdown menu, hit the ‘browse’ sub menu and hit ‘all video’.

Needless to say, should have a toggle between books and movies :slight_smile:

Noted on the search bug.

Oh awesome! I will try to fetch soon, i’ll let you know.

They are equal yes.

Hmm… it should be prompting you with the nearest item in difficulty first. Do note that it has to be the same type (Movie/TV series) and same sub setting. If you do spot an issue, let me know… although I know it can be hard to tell.

Oh great, I’m glad you’re enjoying ^.^

Duly noted on that issue… on to the TODO.

Yeah I agree about the redesign, not sure when or how. As for the Movie / TV split, there’s no real reason. I just did it because they’re fundamentally different objects on the backend, unlike the book types.

I will note that I have a "Favorite Textbook’ and ‘Favorite Graded Readers’ as separate lanes too, because those aren’t included in your book types. Basically, not consistent at all :joy:

I will say too that Content Tags and Favoriting are the two next big initiatives, so may leave these issues until tackle Favorites.

Yeah it’s on the list, hopefully done today.

Oh really? I thought I tested that and it worked. I can double check. You’re right that component was touched in the update for the reason you thought.

Thanks everyone for taking all the time to write this feedback! It really does speed everything up :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s what it was doing I think. I just worried it would lead to some items getting far more gradings that others, but I guess it probably works out in aggregate.

:tada:

Right now my profile is just me listing my actual favorites since the auto-favorites includes too much, so looking forward to this one.

It’s possible it was just a rendering issue. When I rated the manga on the manga’s page it didn’t change to “Finished”. But I didn’t think to refresh before just manually setting it, so I don’t know if it updated but didn’t rerender, or if it didn’t update to “Finished” even on the backend.

By the way, is the bug regarding not being able to edit shows/movies because “subs” are required on the list to fix today? I ended up changing my mind and want to move all my “Wish List” items to “Owned” and I can’t because of that bug. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll check it again

Right, that actually is only an issue for movies, not tv shows. But it’s a big usability issue, so I’ll fix right now. Out of curiosity, why the change of heart on ‘Owned’? I thought you didn’t even want it for video :slight_smile:

1 Like

Evangelion is so confusing that the universe couldn’t define its difficulty.

7 Likes

Ah, hadn’t noticed that.

As for the change of heart… it’s more that I decided to repurpose the lists since they exist rather than create custom lists. I’m going to treat “Owned” as “I have immediate access to this and can watch it whenever I want” and “Wish List” as “I’ll need to figure out how to get access to this”. Not as clean as with books where if I literally own the physical copy or bought the ebook already it’s “Owned” and otherwise it’s “Wish List”.

3 Likes

AUDIOVISUAL UPDATE

• [Fixed] Individual gradings section on Movie/TV pages sometimes show wrong book compared
  • [Fixed] Can’t edit Wish List → Owned because it thinks subs are required
  • [FIxed] ‘+ Wish List’ text on button cut off
  • [Fixed] Viewing a use’s reviews on their public profile via Mobile was styled poorly
  • [Fixed] Contributor links on video page goes too book search
  • [Fixed] TV season page ‘people watching’ count may be wrong
  • [Fixed] Book type on search page seems to be a backend tag (‘Childrens_Book’)
  • [Fixed] TV/Book Filters for activity feed
    • Add ‘title’ attribute
    • Increase Opacity
10 Likes

Seems like there’s no add activity button for shows/movies yet. Kinda wanted to go back and add the time for every show/movie I’ve watched, but currently it seems like there’s no way to do that for shows/movies you aren’t currently watching.

1 Like

Yeah I’m sorry I haven’t implemented that yet, I hope to get to it in the next week or two, just a lot to right now. I’ll let you know!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s fine. Considering this thread already has 109 posts in just a couple days, I can tell you probably have a lot of things to work on right now with audiovisual. I respect all the work you’ve been doing to fix things and keep up with the community.

Anyways, I think the grading requirements for TV shows should be changed. Currently, you can only grade something if you’ve finished it, which makes sense for books and movies, since they typically come out all at once, but it doesn’t make as much sense for TV shows, which can often come out over a longer period of time. Most seasons of anime will air over a period of 3-6 months, which means that it can stay at it’s temporary rating for several months, even if it’s not accurate at all. For example, お兄ちゃんはおしまい! S1 | L23 is currently rated at L30, but I would personally say it’s around L22. This is probably just because the rating wasn’t specified when it was added, but that doesn’t change the fact that the rating doesn’t properly reflect the difficulty, and can’t be properly graded for around a month.

I don’t think it’s super urgent, especially considering the current anime season ends at the end of this month, but I definitely think it’s something that should be looked at in the future. Maybe requiring only 3-4 episodes finished for you to grade it, or maybe even just the first episode, although maybe that’s going a bit too far, because it might be difficult to judge difficulty based solely off the first episode.

3 Likes

You know that’s a really interesting point. I’m not entirely sure what’s the best approach.

It’s also probably a big issue with the whole nonsense around TMDB’s season groupings.

Yeah, allowing you to grade after 4 episodes seems right. There are probably smart ways to handle in the future around keeping the grade temporary until the first season finishes… but we’ll see. Let’s actually log a product request for that, if you don’t mind @DancoreDanny :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there a way to filter out genres? I was trying to browse live-action shows but all I got was anime :melting_face:. Something like so would be cool: (quick mockup, you get the minus by clicking again)

6 Likes

Yeah, I know that’s an issue right now, especially since there’s no live action genre! I like that mockup, i’ll add to the list.

2 Likes

Made the product request here. This is my first time making a product request here (or a thread in general) so I hope I did it well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got another bug here:
I want to add The World Ends With You to Natively, but searching for it doesn’t bring it back on Natively’s search:

Edit: Ah, might be related to the server issue I mentioned in the main Natively thread.

1 Like

Landing page is broken! :see_no_evil:

Server issue here as well: seanblue's videos | Natively

1 Like

How long does it take for the order to update?

Also, how long will the ratings stay temporary? Based on the “exclude temporary ratings” checkbox in search still showing a bunch of shows, is the ?? just always shown even though most of these aren’t actually temporary anymore?

1 Like

@brandon I think there’s a flaw in the finish dates for episode tracking… When you added the entries for us you set the finished date as that date, March 6th. I then went back and changed all the series start and finish dates to be accurate, but the episode dates still show the original March 6th date. I think the same is true if we just mark a show as Finished (e.g. from the rate-to-finish-automatically feature) and then change the date immediately afterward (granted this shouldn’t happen much now that I backfilled all my data).

You had mentioned something about stats being derived from the episodes, though on the stats page itself it seems to use the season dates to show the correct information. So hopefully the episode dates being wrong has no negative effect, but at a minimum it’s still a bit awkward.

3 Likes

Bug: some video pages, when viewed logged out, redirect me to a prompt to sign up immediately after they load instead of letting me view the page like normal. It’s not happening on all of them, but here are some examples where it consistently happens for me:

2 Likes

Bug:

firefox_2023-03-09 01.18.13.585
stays persistent through reloads and refreshs, but is reset once you go to any other part of the page and come back by clicking on “Dashboard”.

firefox_2023-03-09 01.18.30.565
however stays persistent all the time.

2 Likes