šŸ‡©šŸ‡Ŗ Beginner Book Club šŸ“š NOW VOTING!

German doesnā€™t currently have any book clubs in the forums, so letā€™s change that! :grin:

As a book club for beginners, we would probably be reading fiction up to about L26. Since German Natively is still in beta, there arenā€™t many books that have a non-temporary level, but generally most childrenā€™s books should fall into this level, as well as easier YA and perhaps even some novels aimed at adults.

Nomination List

Nomination Template

Copy and paste the text below into a reply, and fill out the information for your nomination.

Cover image (optional)
**Title**: Put the Natively link here.
**Book type**: (novel, children's book, etc)
**Available formats**: physical / ebook / audiobook (delete as appropriate)
[details="Summary - German"]
Copy and paste the German summary from whichever source you prefer. 
[/details]
[details="Summary - English"]
There may be an English summary on the Natively page; if not, you can use a machine translator like DeepL or Google Translate.
[/details]
[details="Content Warnings"]
If you know whether the book contains adult content or potentially triggering topics, include the information here.
[/details]
**Reason(s) for nominating:** Share the reason you are nominating this book - it might persuade others to vote for it!

Poll

The number of German learners on Natively is still quite small, but hopefully we can gather a handful of people and start reading together. :smiling_face:

Will you be joining us?
  • Yes! :heart_eyes:
  • Maybeā€¦ :thinking:
  • No :sob:
0 voters
6 Likes

I would definitely join as well!
But not as learner, since I am a native speaker. But I would like to help everyone who wants to learn the language :blush:
I am not sure whether I should vote in the poll anyways? :thinking:

8 Likes

Yay, weā€™d be happy to have you! :partying_face:

You can totally vote on the poll - anyone can participate, regardless of whether theyā€™re a native speaker or not. :grin:

5 Likes

Since there are already a number of people showing interest, letā€™s open up the nominations! :smile:

Nomination Template

Copy and paste the text below into a reply, and fill out the information for your nomination.

Cover image (optional)
**Title**: Put the Natively link here.
**Book type**: (novel, children's book, etc)
**Available formats**: physical / ebook / audiobook (delete as appropriate)
[details="Summary - German"]
Copy and paste the German summary from whichever source you prefer. 
[/details]
[details="Summary - English"]
There may be an English summary on the Natively page; if not, you can use a machine translator like DeepL or Google Translate.
[/details]
[details="Content Warnings"]
If you know whether the book contains adult content or potentially triggering topics, include the information here.
[/details]
**Reason(s) for nominating:** Share the reason you are nominating this book - it might persuade others to vote for it!

:cherry_blossom: Nomination List :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

I suppose I will go ahead and make a nomination then. :thinking: (Is it time for the one German book that I read per year?! :laughing: Maybeā€¦)

Title: Tschick: Buch (Deutsch ā€“ leichter lesen) | L15??
Book type: YA novel?
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook

Summary - German

Zwei Jungs. Ein geknackter Lada. Eine Reise voller Umwege durch ein unbekanntes Deutschland.
Mutter in der Entzugsklinik, Vater mit Assistentin auf GeschƤftsreise: Maik Klingenberg wird die groƟen Ferien allein am Pool der elterlichen Villa verbringen. Doch dann kreuzt Tschick auf. Tschick, eigentlich Andrej Tschichatschow, kommt aus einem der Asi-HochhƤuser in Hellersdorf, hat es von der Fƶrderschule irgendwie bis aufs Gymnasium geschafft und wirkt doch nicht gerade wie das Musterbeispiel der Integration. AuƟerdem hat er einen geklauten Wagen zur Hand. Und damit beginnt eine unvergessliche Reise ohne Karte und Kompass durch die sommerglĆ¼hende deutsche Provinz.

Summary - English

Automatically translated:

Two boys. A cracked Lada. A journey full of detours through an unknown Germany.
Mother in rehab, father away on a business trip with his assistant: Maik Klingenberg will spend the big summer holidays alone by the pool of his parentsā€™ villa. But then Tschick shows up. Tschick, actually Andrej Tschichatschow, comes from one of the rough high-rise buildings in Hellersdorf, somehow made it from special school to high school, yet doesnā€™t exactly seem like the epitome of integration. Plus, he has a stolen car at hand. And thus begins an unforgettable journey without a map or compass through the summer-glazed German province.

Content Warnings

Not sureā€¦maybe someone who may have read this knows? :thinking:

Reason(s) for nominating: This is a classic recommendation for German learners that Iā€™ve just never gotten around to reading. Iā€™ve heard from some people that they had to read it in Gymnasium, so it seems like one of those books everyone would know (someone please confirm or deny :joy:). It looks like there is a graded reader version that is easier that I linked above, but there is also a normal version that doesnā€™t appear to be on natively yetā€¦ That would make it accessible for a lot of different level learners, since there are two difficulty modes available.

5 Likes

never heard of it, never read it, but I have access to the audiobook. :eyes:

Is the one you linked a ā€œgekĆ¼rzte Fassungā€? :thinking:

3 Likes

You own all the audiobooks :laughing:

It has 127 pages vs the 257 of the original. :thinking: On second thought that may be difficult for a book club, but there could just be two schedules?

2 Likes

Actually, itā€™s available through my US library via Hoopla. :sparkles:

3 Likes

Something funny about getting a German book through your US library hoopla account :rofl:

3 Likes

2a

Title: Die kleine Hexe: Die kleine Hexe: Kinderbuch-Klassiker ab 6, bunt illustriert | L20??
Book type: Childrenā€™s book
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook

Summary - German

Die kleine Hexe ist mit ihren 127 Jahren viel zu jung, um mit den groƟen Hexen in der Walpurgisnacht auf dem Blocksberg zu tanzen. Doch das ist ihr egal: Sie springt auf ihren Besen und feiert den Hexentanz mit. Dass sie dabei erwischt werden kƶnnte, damit hat sie allerdings nicht gerechnet. Zur Strafe muss sie alle ZaubersprĆ¼che auswendig lernen und versprechen, eine gute Hexe zu werden. Aber wie soll sie das nur schaffen? Zum GlĆ¼ck hilft ihr der Rabe Abraxas, ihr bester Freund.

Summary - English

At 127 years old, the little witch is far too young to dance with the big witches on Walpurgis Night on the Blocksberg. But she doesnā€™t care: she jumps on her broom and joins in the witchesā€™ dance. However, she didnā€™t expect to be caught. As punishment, she has to memorize all the spells and promise to become a good witch. But how is she supposed to do that? Fortunately, her best friend Abraxas the raven helps her.

Content Warnings

None known.

Reason(s) for nominating: This seems to be a well-known childrenā€™s book, and having an audiobook available is a big plus. Thereā€™s also a simplified version: Die kleine Hexe: Deutsch - leichter lesen | L15??

9 Likes

Nostalgie :face_holding_back_tears:

9 Likes

There are actually a lot of German audiobooks on Spotify for free. Weirdly.

3 Likes

510zk4ActsL.SY1000

Title: https://learnnatively.com/book/0335fc5777/
Book type: Graded reader
Available formats: physical / ebook

Summary - German

N/A

Summary - English

Anton just moved to Berlin. He is new in school and doesnā€™t know anyone. He has a problem. Who can help him? He sees Heidi ā€“ a girl from biology class. He is nervous, but he walks over and asks her for help.
With Heidiā€™s help and friendship, Anton adjusts to his new school. As he meets new classmates, he is befriended by Felix and Lena ā€“ but what are their true intentions? As their relationships grow and change, Anton and his new friends face new realities and challenging decisionsā€¦

Content Warnings

None

Reason(s) for nominating: I read this series a while back. Theyā€™re very well done and definitely worth reading as a beginner. The only read downside is that thereā€™s no audiobook.

6 Likes

I will join especially if a kids book is chosen, Iā€™m not a beginner but I enjoy kids books. Iā€™d like to recommend some but most from my childhood donā€™t seem to be easily availableā€¦

8 Likes

I think Iā€™ll leave the nominations open for a couple of weeks so people that donā€™t visit the forum as often get a chance to add their suggestions, and we can start voting at the end of the month. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Would Die Verwandlung | L29 (learnnatively.com) not be a valid nomination then? What do you think?

Iā€™m also thinking of maybe nominating Momo | L27 (learnnatively.com) or Emil und die Detektive | L22?? (learnnatively.com), but what Iā€™m more interested in reading is Krimis and contemporary fiction, which would probably be more of an advanced club? Of course I have no idea if we have enough German learners (we do native speakers, I think) for two book clubs, nor whether I should even be considering this on top of my multiple Japanese book clubs, but here I am :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If itā€™s indeed a L29, then itā€™s a bit difficult for a beginners. If the level isnā€™t accurate (since German is still in beta and lacks enough gradings), then itā€™s fine to nominate if it seems to really be L26 or below. :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™d probably attempt higher level books if you are planning to make an intermediate/advanced club. More book clubs are always good! :rofl:

ETA: I think Momo and Emil are probably fine to nominate, since theyā€™re childrenā€™s books.

4 Likes

I read Die Verwandlung a few years ago and found it to be surprisingly simple language wise, I feel like itā€™s current 29 is a bit too high. But as I am not a traditional learner I hesitate to say for sure, especially without a reread

4 Likes

I have no idea what consitutes a L26 in German to be honest, neither whether Die Verwandlung would be a 26 or higher (Iā€™ve read it and didnā€™t find it hard, but this was ages ago). However itā€™s free and short. Itā€™s also been widely translated, and there are even editions of parallel text I think.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll leave it up to your discretion. :smile:

2 Likes