初心者のライトノベル読書会 📚 Beginner's Light Novel Book Club L20-29

You should be able to get a refund, though it might take some effort. When you opt for no signature, you release DHL from liability assuming they deliver it in accordance with your instructions. And your instructions presumably did not include sending it to the wrong address. That said, can you prove they sent it to the wrong address rather than them leaving it at your place and it getting snatched? That’ll probably determine whether you can get a refund and I don’t know how hard they try to deny screwing up.

Either way that really sucks. I’ve gotten DHL deliveries from Amazon and CD Japan for years and have always gone no signature without issue. Hope you can get it resolved!

2 Likes

Thanks. I didn’t have a choice afaik, it was the Amazon seller who opted for no signature. I did triple check that the address was correct though, including on all the emails from DHL.

It should be pretty easy to prove. DHL has a “proof of delivery” photo that shows an apartment door that doesn’t look anything remotely like the ones in my building (like entirely different hallways, door colors, etc)

I’ve only had a few orders from Japan so far, and this was only time I’ve had an issue with DHL (though I did once order a set of zabuton that mysteriously never showed up - the seller refunded). Human error is always possible though, regardless of the company. Anyway, I don’t wanna take up more space on the thread than I already have, so I’ll update later if, it all turns out well in the end. Thx for the advice :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hmmm, looks like it’s probably gonna be また、同じ夢を見ていた. I’m really torn on that one. After reading this review, I definitely want to read it, but it sounds like it would be much too soon for me, despite it seemingly being only L26:

I wonder if reading it with a book club would help with that. The chasm between my level and “solid n2/n1 level” seems a bit big, and even if we have more experienced readers explaining things, almost getting no subtext on my own might be similar in enjoyment to reading a joke book where I need explanations for all the jokes? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think that’s fine tbh. It’s already one of the lower-level picks in this batch, and I don’t really think there’s anything wrong with explaining wordplay when the intent here is to learn/understand things. It’s like a Douglas Adams or Pratchett book (or even the Simpsons), you’ll go back years later and be like ‘oh, that was the joke’! but it won’t really detract from the original read probably.

6 Likes

I think that’s actually fine (if you already get at least enough jokes originally to get enjoyment out of them), but getting none of them and then having someone explain pretty much all the jokes to me doesn’t sound too enjoyable.

(Also e.g. a Douglas Adams or a Pratchett would probably be a terrible beginner book for that reason, independently of the language level required to get the basic meanings of the sentences. I feel like wordplay is a much more advanced concept in the journey of language learning.)

But hey, maybe I should just try and see where it goes if it gets picked.

3 Likes

If it helps at all, I went into 本好き thinking there was no chance to I’d be able to keep up and read comfortably, but now that I’m on the second to last week I’m really glad that I took the challenge.

If you still have doubts, I’d recommend reading electronically in some form, and having access to the JMDict because it has a lot of set phases and literal + word for word translations for them.

Just some food for thought. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

The author writes pop fiction and afai remember the book was pretty much in your face with the themes it wanted to present to you. It really depends on what you want to get out of a book. If you enjoy analyzing every sentence and paragraph and look for possible hidden meanings - then sure, higher level is better. If you just want to read a book for its story, また、同じ夢を見ていた is pretty accessible. It’s 100% character driven, i.e. very little actually happens and it’s all about thoughts, feelings and slice of life. If you don’t like such books, then you’ll hate また、同じ夢を見ていた but I had a good time with it.

6 Likes

Just popping in to say I’ve also read the book before and agree with this + everything else @Biblio wrote. :point_up_2:t2:It is pretty accessible, so if you’re interested at all it’s worth giving it a try! It’s a fun book! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Haha. I usually don’t; that makes me less interested, but also less worried for the difficulty :laughing:

Thanks!

3 Likes

To DHL’s credit, they found it and delivered it to me today!!

14 Likes

7 hrs until voting closes - so get your votes in, if you haven’t already!

4 Likes

Congrats to our first winnner: また、同じ夢を見ていた / 또다시 같은 꿈을 꾸었어 (노블판)!! The home thread is here: Home Thread for また、同じ夢を見ていた / 또다시 같은 꿈을 꾸었어 (노블판)

Based on the earlier poll, I’m sticking with the start date of Jan 28, 2024, if that’s alright with everyone. (Or should I do a new poll?)

If anyone can help me with figuring out reading schedule, physical page numbers, etc, that would be really appreciated!

4 Likes

Chapters:
1: 2-32
2: 32-47
3: 47-77
4: 77-90
5: 90-118
6: 118-164
7: 164-182
8: 182-215
9: 215-260
10: 260-291
11: 291-300
Expect for the first, chapters start in the middle of a page.

4 Likes

Thx so much!! If anyone knows the Korean pg numbers, please share!

As Amazon writes that the book has 304 pages, but mine only has 300 pages, there may be different versions.

1 Like

They’re probably counting like the cover and title page or something… I’ve noticed that all of my eBooks are usually off by about 4 pgs… so I don’t think that’s an issue.

However, it appears there’s a paperback bunko and a tankobon softcover. The paperback is 300/304 pgs, the tankobon is 264 pages… Natively links to the paperback, and hopefully everyone will stick with that :pray: otherwise, idk how to figure out the chapters that are (tentatively) being split, due to length.

1 Like

When chapters get split, the end of the line you’re reading to gets put in the table, so people know where to read to. So even if page numbers are different due to different versions or settings, everyone still knows exactly where to leave off

1 Like

Hmmm, interesting. Are there any clubs on here with tables that did that, by any chance? just wondering what it ends up looking like

I don’t know if any on here have, but there’s this one with such a table over on WK. It doesn’t look very pretty on mobile, granted, but the last line could be cut down to the last few words so it’s not as long

3 Likes

medium’s table does

4 Likes