🥳 Children's Book Club 📚 Next: 魔女の宅急便 1

As there’s a Korean translation, it will be a multilingual book club. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Worth noting this pick is on Kindle Unlimited (for now) so if you have that you can also find it there…

2 Likes

Hmm, I wasn’t particularly planning on joining this one but I do have the first volume of Zenitendou. I ended up dropping it, but perhaps with a club I could read it to the end.

4 Likes

I’m going to have to pass after all.
I’m reading wayyy too many other things right now :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Nope I’m joining in after all, I just did weeks 1 to 3 in about half an hour :rofl:

9 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Nominations List :cherry_blossom:

5 Likes

There’s only a couple of weeks left of our current read, so let’s start thinking about our next book! :smiley:

You can see the current nominations above - we’ll be accepting nominations for the next week or two and then we’ll have a vote.

5 Likes

Title: ふしぎな声のする町で: ものだま探偵団 | L26??
Available formats: physical / ebook

Summary - Japanese

「活版印刷三日月堂」のほしおさなえが描く、
ちょっぴりふしぎで、あたたかい物語。

小学校5年生の七子が両親と一緒に引っ越してきたのは、坂木町にある古い一戸建て。
夜中に、部屋でだれかが話している声が聞こえたり、ふしぎなことが起こったり…。
そんなある日、七子は、クラスメイトの鳥羽が、公園でひとりでしゃべっているのを見かけた。
そばにはだれもいないのに、男の糸の声も聞こえる。
話し相手は、なんとカサ立てのツボ。
この町では、ものに宿った魂=「ものだま」の声が聞こえるらしい…。
七子のまわりで起こるふしぎなできごとを、「ものだま探偵」桜井鳥羽が挑む!
表題作と「駅のふしぎな伝言板」の2話をおさめました。
心がほっこりあたたかくなると評判のほしおさなえによる、少女探偵物語です。

Summary - English

DeepL translation
Illustrated by Hoshio Sanae of Letterpress Crescent,
A slightly strange and warm story.

Fifth-grader Nanako and her parents move into an old house in Sakaki-machi.
In the middle of the night, she hears someone talking in her room and strange things happen.
One day, Nanako sees her classmate Toba talking alone in the park.
No one was nearby, but she could hear a man’s string voice.
The person he is talking to is, to her surprise, a crusty urn.
In this town, it seems that the voices of Monodama, the spirits that reside in things, can be heard…
The Monodama Detective, Toba Sakurai, takes up the challenge of investigating the mysterious things that happen around Nanako!
Contains two stories: the title story and “The mysterious message board at the station”.
A girls’ detective story by Hoshiosane, who has a reputation for making people’s hearts warm and fuzzy.

Content Warnings

Not that I know of.

Reason(s) for nominating: I bought this one on a whim because I like supernatural detective kid’s stories and the art in this is really cute! There’s no furigana though, so that might be off putting to some. But I think the writing style is pretty easy (I have only read a few pages, though) and the Kanji aren’t too out there – It is part of a series, so there are more books.

5 Likes

Title: 星の王子さま | L23
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook / partial furigana

Summary - Japanese

砂漠のまっただ中に不時着した飛行士の前に現れた不思議な金髪の少年。少年の話から、彼の存在の神秘が次第に明らかに……生きる意味を問いかける永遠の名作、斬新な新訳で登場。

Summary - English

A pilot crashes in the Sahara Desert and encounters a strange young boy who calls himself the Little Prince. The Little Prince has traveled there from his home on a lonely, distant asteroid with a single rose. The story that follows is a beautiful and at times heartbreaking meditation on human nature.

Content Warnings

Spaceship crash

Reason(s) for nominating: This is a classic, that has been translated in multiple languages. There have been several editions, with the one above having mostly furigana according to the reviews, and others such as 星の王子さま | L25 , so everyone should be able to find one that matches their preferred way of reading.

3 Likes

This book has an aozora bunko version that even contains the drawings.

2 Likes

I’ll open the poll at the end of the week (Fri/Sat), so if there are any books you want to nominate, get them in quick! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Title:

Available formats: physical / ebook / full furigana

Summary - Japanese

あれ? キミ、ふしぎアイテム博物館に用があるの?

悩みがある子の前に、博物館につながる扉はあらわれる。 扉の向こうは、心ときめく魅惑の空間! とっておきのアイテムがたくさん展示されてて、 謎めいた美しい館長・宝野ヤカタと、 元気いっぱいな助手のメイが出迎えてくれる。

どんなに難しい計算でも、答えをすぐ教えてくれる「計算鬼」、 過去をうつす「過去カメラ」、好きな人との縁を繋ぐ「縁ジェルちゃん」――。

どれも、すごく便利そうだけど、使う時には気をつけて。 良いことばかりが起こるとはかぎらないからね――。

Summary - English (DeepL)

What’s that? You want to go to the Museum of Mysterious Items?

The door leading to the museum appears in front of a child with a problem. Beyond the door is an enchanting and fascinating space! Many special items are on display, The mysterious and beautiful curator, Yakata Takarano, and her energetic assistant, Mei, are on hand to help, Yakata Hono, the enigmatic and beautiful curator, and her energetic assistant, Mei, welcome you.

The “Calculation Demon” will tell you the answer to even the most difficult calculations, The “Past Camera,” which captures the past, and “En-Geru-chan,” which connects you to the person you love.

They all sound very useful, but be careful when using them. Not all good things can happen to you.

Content Warnings

Not aware of any. Supposedly “scary” and the publisher recommends reading during morning for children so they don’t get nightmares, but that’s about it. Still aimed for 小学校中学年から

Reason(s) for nominating: Recently released, I usually like these Tsubasa Bunko that have the こわい話 tag

4 Likes

BTW @bibliothecary, 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (角川つばさ文庫) 「涼宮ハルヒ」シリーズ(角川つばさ文庫) | L36?? now has a natively link. Previusly the Tsubasa Bunko edition didn’t have one, and it redirected to the normal version.

1 Like

Great! I’ll update it. :grin:

1 Like

And also I’ll edit the nomination post, seems like the tsubasa bunko is in stock in Amazon for those who rather have physical

It has the wrong cover though, so take with a grain of salt, maybe is the wrong book.

1 Like

pretty sure it’s not actually the つばさ version. The ISBN is wrong. Should be: 4046310286

1 Like

Yeah just cross-referenced with my physical I bought in 2021, still the title is wrong, but the ISBN is a strong indication it might just be a title error, as Amazon uses ISBNs as ASIN for physical books.

Title:

Available formats: physical / ebook / full furigana

Summary - Japanese

第1巻の内容紹介: 昭和58年初夏。寒村・雛見沢村で、都会から引越してきた前原圭一は楽しい仲間に囲まれ充実の日々を送っていた。ところが……「嫌な事件だったね。…腕が一本、まだ見つかってないんだろ?」――かけがえのない日々に、惨劇の足音が忍び寄る。一時代を築いた傑作ホラーの金字塔がジュニア文庫に登場。さぁ、惨劇に挑め。 ※小・中学生に読みやすいよう総ルビ&イラスト満載のジュニア文庫として再編集したものです。 ※本書は、2000年発表の同人ゲーム『ひぐらしのなく頃に 鬼隠し編』のシナリオをもとに、著者である竜騎士07氏自らが全面改稿し、2007年に講談社BOX、2011年に星海社文庫より、小説として刊行されたものを、加筆修正のうえ双葉社ジュニア文庫化したものです。(2020年11月現在)

Introduction to Volume 1: Early summer of 1983. In the cold village of Hinamizawa, Keiichi Maehara, who had moved here from the city, was living a full life surrounded by happy friends. However, … “It was an unpleasant incident, wasn’t it? …You still haven’t found one of his arms, have you?” --The footsteps of tragedy creep up on these irreplaceable days. The golden age of horror masterpieces is now available in the Junior Bunko collection. Now, challenge the tragedy. This book has been re-edited as a junior bunko with full-illustrations and full-illustrations to make it easy to read for elementary and junior high school students. This book is based on the scenario of the doujin game “Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Onikakuroni-hen” published in 2000, which was completely revised by the author Ryuunishi 07 himself and published as a novel by Kodansha BOX in 2007 and Seikaisha Bunko in 2011. (As of November 2020)

Content Warnings

For what I have read around, is toned down version, but still possibly contains torture and murder.

Reason(s) for nominating: Found this on my last trip to Japan on a book-off. Didn’t know there was a Junior version of the light novels. There’s currently on-going in the VN club, so it might overlap for some, although there aren’t that many participants over the VN Club, for most it won’t be an issue.

1 Like

Title: 魔女の宅急便 1 | L25
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook

Summary - Japanese

ひとり立ちするために初めての街にやってきた13歳の魔女キキが、新しい街で始めた商売宅急便屋さん。相棒の黒猫ジジと喜び哀しみをともにしながら街の人たちに受け入れられるようになるまでの1年を描く。

Kiki, a 13-year-old witch who has come to her first town to be on her own, starts a business, a courier service, in her new town. The film depicts a year in which she and her black cat Gigi, her partner, share joys and sorrows as they become accepted by the people of the town.

Content Warnings

None known

Reason(s) for nominating: Often held up as the first Japanese book you should read (terrible advice, but I digress), I’ve had this on my shelf forever and started it a few times before. I love the movie and would like to actually get through the book.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that the Korean version is on Storytel. So, about the level, do you think it would still be L25 without accounting for the lack of kanji that I saw a lot of people mentionning, or if it’s relatively simple and that’s the thing that bumps its level up? I’m wondering if I should try to listen to this audiobook, but that’s just not gonna go well if it’s actually L25 and I can’t use the text as a reference, as my listening comprehension is still behind my reading comprehension level.

1 Like