๐Ÿญ ใตใ—ใŽ้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ ้Šญๅคฉๅ ‚ ๐Ÿ‘ต ์ด์ƒํ•œ ๊ณผ์ž ๊ฐ€๊ฒŒ ์ „์ฒœ๋‹น ๐Ÿฌ Home Thread

Welcome to the first Childrenโ€™s Book Club read!

Book Club Links

Book Info

Summary - Japanese

้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ใŒใ‚ใฃใŸใ€‚่ทฏๅœฐใฎๅฃใซใฏใ‚Šใคใใ‚ˆใ†ใชๅฝขใฎๅบ—ใงใ€ใพใ‚‹ใงๅ•†ๅบ—่ก—ใ‹ใ‚‰่บซใ‚’ใ‹ใใ—ใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ‚ˆใ†ใ ใ€‚ใ ใŒใ€ๅบ—ๅ…ˆใซใฏใ€่‰ฒใจใ‚Šใฉใ‚Šใฎ่“ๅญใŒใชใ‚‰ใ‚“ใงใ„ใ‚‹ใฎใŒ่ฆ‹ใˆใ‚‹ใ€‚็œŸ็”ฑ็พŽใฏ้ฆ–ใ‚’ใ‹ใ—ใ’ใŸใ€‚ใ‚ใ‚“ใชใจใ“ใ‚ใซใ€้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใชใ‚“ใฆใ‚ใฃใŸใฃใ‘๏ผŸใ“ใฎ้“ใฏใ€ใ‚‚ใ†ไฝ•็™พๅ›žใจ้€šใฃใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ‘ใฉใ€ใ‚ใ‚“ใชๅบ—ใ€่ฆ‹ใŸใ“ใจใชใ„โ€ฆใ€‚ใใฎ้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ใฏๅนธใ›ใจไธๅนธใฎใ‚ใ‹ใ‚Œ้“ใ€‚

Summary - Korean

๊ณจ๋ชฉ ํ›„๋ฏธ์ง„ ๊ณณ์— ์œ„์น˜ํ•œ ๋‚ก์€ ๊ณผ์ž ๊ฐ€๊ฒŒ [์ „์ฒœ๋‹น]. ์šฐ์—ฐํžˆ ๊ฐ€๊ฒŒ๋ฅผ ๋ฐœ๊ฒฌํ•œ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์€ ๋ฌด์—‡์— ํ™€๋ฆฐ ๋“ฏ ์ด๊ณณ์— ๋น ์ ธ๋“ ๋‹ค. [์ „์ฒœ๋‹น]์—๋Š” ๊ธฐ์ƒ์ฒœ์™ธํ•˜๊ฑฐ๋‚˜ ์„ฌ๋œฉํ•œ ๋ถ„์œ„๊ธฐ๋ฅผ ํ’๊ธฐ๋Š” ์ด์ƒํ•œ ๊ณผ์ž๋“ค์ด ์ง„์—ด๋˜์–ด ์žˆ๋‹ค. [๊ณ ์–‘์ด ๋ˆˆ๊น”์‚ฌํƒ•], [๋ผˆ๋‹ค๊ท€ ์บ”๋””], [์š”๊ดด ๊ปŒ], [์ €์ฃผ ์ธํ˜• ์ฟ ํ‚ค] ๋“ฑ ์ด๋ฆ„๋„ ์ƒ‰๋‹ค๋ฅด๋‹ค. ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์„ ์‚ฌ๋กœ์žก๋Š” ์ด ์ด์ƒํ•œ ๊ณผ์ž๋“ค์€ ๊ธฐ๋ฌ˜ํ•œ ํž˜์„ ๊ฐ–๊ณ  ์žˆ์–ด ์†๋‹˜๋“ค์˜ ๊ณ ๋ฏผ์„ ํ•ด๊ฒฐํ•ด ์ค€๋‹ค๋Š”๋ฐโ€ฆโ€ฆ. ๊ณผ์—ฐ [์ „์ฒœ๋‹น]์˜ ์†๋‹˜๋“ค์€ ๊ณ ๋ฏผ์„ ํ•ด๊ฒฐํ•˜๊ณ  ํ–‰์šด์„ ์–ป์—ˆ์„๊นŒ? ๊ณผ์ž๋ฅผ ๋จน๊ณ  ํ–‰์šด๊ณผ ๋ถˆํ–‰์˜ ๊ฐˆ๋ฆผ๊ธธ์— ๋†“์ธ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์˜ ์šด๋ช…, ๊ทธ ๊ฒฐ๋ง์€?!

Summary - English

There was a candy shop. The shop seems to be hidden from the shopping street, as if it is clinging to the wall of an alleyway. However, a colourful array of sweets can be seen in front of the shop. Mayumi tilted her head. Was there ever a candy shop there? Iโ€™ve been down this road hundreds of times, but Iโ€™ve never seen a shop like thatโ€ฆ That candy shop was the dividing line between happiness and unhappiness. (DeepL.)

Reading Schedule

Week Start
Date
Ch. :jp:
End
page
:jp:
No. of
pages
Digital
(epub/
BW)
Audio-
book
Notes
:kr:
End
page
No. of
pages
Notes
Week 1 22 Jan 1 14 9 4.22%
8%
9:05 line ending: โ€ฆใŠใฎใžใฟใง๏ผŸใ€ 12 6 line ending: โ€ฆ์–ด๋–ค ๊ณ ๋ฏผ์„ ํ•ด๊ฒฐํ•˜๊ณ  ์‹ถ์œผ์‹œ์ฃ ?โ€
Week 2 29 Jan 1 23 9 11.63%
15%
20:33 line ending: โ€ฆใฉใ†ใ—ใŸใ‚‰ใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใ ใ‚ใ†๏ผŸใ€ 19 7 line ending: โ€ฆ์ •๋ง๋กœ ๊ทธ๋ ‡๊ฒŒ ๋ผ ๋ฒ„๋ฆฌ๋ฉด ์–ด๋–กํ•ด์•ผ ํ• ๊นŒ?
Week 3 5 Feb 1 31 8 16.45%
20%
29:36 end of chapter 26 7 end of chapter
Week 4 12 Feb 2 41 10 23%
?
39:20 line ending: โ€ฆไธญ่บซใฏใฉใ‚“ใ‚ใฎใชใ‚“ใ ใ‚ใ†๏ผŸ 35 9 line ending: โ€ฆ์•Œ๋งน์ด๋Š” ์–ด๋–จ๊นŒ?โ€™
Week 5 19 Feb 2 52 11 end of chapter 45 10 end of chapter
Week 6 26 Feb 3 62 10 line ending: โ€ฆใจ็•™ๅฎˆ้›ปใŒๅ…ฅใฃใฆใใ‚‹ 55 10 line ending: โ€ฆ๊ธฐ๋ถ„ ๋‚˜์œ ๋ชฉ์†Œ๋ฆฌ๊ฐ€ ๋“ค๋ ธ๋‹ค
Week 7 4 Mar 3 72 10 end of chapter 63 8 end of chapter
Week 8 11 Mar 4 83 11 line ending: โ€ฆใชใซใ‹ใจใ•ใใ‚Šใ‚’ๅ…ฅใ‚Œๅง‹ใ‚ใŸใฎใ ใ€‚ 74 11 line ending: ๊ฒŒ์ด์ง€๊ฐ€ ๋ญ”๊ฐ€ ๊ฐ์ถ”๋Š” ๊ฒŒ ์žˆ๋‹ค๋Š” ๊ฑธ ๋Š๊ผˆ๋Š”์ง€ ์ž๊พธ ์บ๋‚ด๋ ค๊ณ  ํ–ˆ๋‹ค.
Week 9 18 Mar 4 94 11 end of chapter 84 10 end of chapter
Week 10 25 Mar 5 106 12 line ending: ๅคง็น็››ใ ใ€‚ 95 11 line ending: ๋Œ€์„ฑํ™ฉ์ด์—ˆ๋‹ค.
Week 11 1 Apr 5 117 11 end of chapter 106 11 end of chapter
Week 12 8 Apr 6 127 10 line ending: โ€ฆใจใ‚Šใ ใ—ใŸใ€‚ 115 9 line ending: โ€ฆ๋นจ๊ฐ„ ๋ˆˆ๊น”์‚ฌํƒ• ๊ฐ™์€ ๊ฒƒ์„ ํ•œ ์•Œ ๊บผ๋ƒˆ๋‹ค.
Week 13 15 Apr 6 137 10 line ending: โ€ฆใใ‚‹ใ‚ŠใจๅฅณใฎไบบใŒใตใ‚Šใ‚€ใ„ใŸใ€‚ 123 8 line ending: โ€ฆ์—ฌ์ž๊ฐ€ ๋น™๊ทธ๋ฅด ๋ชธ์„ ๋Œ๋ ธ๋‹ค.
Week 14 22 Apr 6+7 149 10 end of chapter 132 9 end of chapter

:jp: page numbers from physical book; digital percentages are approximate (BW=Bookwalker)
:kr: page numbers from Google Play ebook

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if itโ€™s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! Thatโ€™s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.

Resources

:jp: Wanikani Book Club
:jp: Wanikani Vocabulary List
:jp: JPDB Vocabulary List

Polls

Will you be reading along with us?
  • Yes! :star_struck:
  • Maybeโ€ฆ :thinking:
  • No, just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
Which language will you be reading in?
  • :jp: Japanese
  • :kr: Korean
  • :jp: :kr: Both!
0 voters
Which version(s) will you be reading?
  • Physical book :open_book:
  • Ebook :computer:
  • Audiobook :headphones:
0 voters
6 Likes

Reading Pace

The book has 150 pages, so here are estimates of the time it will take to read depending on how many pages we read per week:

Pages per week Number of weeks
<10 15+
10 15
15 10
20 8
21+ <8
How many pages per week would you feel comfortable reading?
  • Fewer than 10
  • More than 20
0 voters

Start Date

When would you like to start reading?
  • late December
  • early January
  • late January
  • early February
  • late February
0 voters
4 Likes

The poll results show that most people want to start at the end of January and read 10 pages a week, so Iโ€™ve updated the reading schedule accordingly.

Iโ€™ve matched the Japanese and Korean finishing lines, so weโ€™ll finish at the same point in the story; Japanese readers will finish the page every week, while Korean readers will stop mid-page.

If anyone has access to other editions - particularly the Japanese ebook - feel free to leave the page/percentage details so I can add it to the table. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Thanks so much for organising! It looks like I joined just in time :slight_smile:

Did anyone see this guide book to the series?

It has a map of the shop and an overview of the sweets in each chapter (so potential spoilers, if you want to avoid that donโ€™t open the sample!). Iโ€™m kind of torn between โ€œthis could be a fun support to make the reading easierโ€ and โ€œwill I be disappointed if there are massive spoilers?โ€

11 Likes

Ooo, this looks interesting! I especially love the cute floorplanโ€ฆ I may have to get this as a supplement to the main reading. :grin:

4 Likes

yes! Thatโ€™s whatโ€™s getting me, too. I think Iโ€™ll just get it and find out after Chapter one whether the overview is really much of a spoiler and then decide based on that whether to read those before or after each chapter. .

1 Like

Oh let us know.
Based on some reviews Iโ€™ve seen of the series (and my language goals for the next year) Iโ€™m mostly reading this for listening practice and donโ€™t plan to read the rest of them, so this might be a really great thing to have but it might be totally silly to get it :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Will do! (Iโ€™m ordering paper though, so will be a while)

2 Likes

Just a reminder that weโ€™ll be starting in a couple of weeks - thereโ€™s still time to get your hands on a copy if you want to join! :smile:

10 Likes

Already got mine ready for when weโ€™re due to start reading :blush:

6 Likes

Does anyone know if you can get the anime in Europe? I couldnโ€™t find it on Crunchyroll or any youtube links, they all turned out to be invalid here. Where else do you get anime? Iโ€™m a total noob at anime, itโ€™s not really something Iโ€™ve gotten into, but thought it might be fun to watch after each chapter. Thanks!

1 Like

I just found it on a site - aniwatch

It appears yo be short episodes in Japanese with English subs but not sure if you can watch them all. Iโ€™ve never used the site before but it let me start watching without logging in. The tune is kinda catchy :joy:

5 Likes

Iโ€™ll have a look, thanks! I saw some people on here are listening to the audiobooks and that was also recommended to me on another thread, so I got that!

2 Likes

Iโ€™ll take a look at this soon!

1 Like

Joining this club as Iโ€™m already reading this on the Kindle.

3 Likes

As itโ€™s the 22nd here, Iโ€™ve begun reading.

It would be useful for the โ€˜read up toโ€™ sections to have an approximate percentage for e-book readers I think. I believe section one ends at the 4.24% mark in Japanese. (I think percentage based should be roughly equivalent for all digital versions in whatever format?)

5 Likes

@Jintor The :jp: digital info wasnโ€™t included because I didnโ€™t have access to it; if you (or anyone else) want to look up the weekly %s, I can update the reading schedule to include them. :grinning:

7 Likes

I will also be reading probably ahead of the book club and can also give percentages if weโ€™re missing them.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I have finished the first volume.

3 Likes