Week 2 ๐Ÿญ ใตใ—ใŽ้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ ้Šญๅคฉๅ ‚ ๐Ÿ‘ต ์ด์ƒํ•œ ๊ณผ์ž ๊ฐ€๊ฒŒ ์ „์ฒœ๋‹น ๐Ÿฌ

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start
Date
Ch. :jp:
End
page
:jp:
No. of
pages
Digital
(epub/
BW)
Audio-
book
Notes
:kr:
End
page
No. of
pages
Notes
2 29 Jan 1 23 9 11.63%
15%
20:33 line ending: โ€ฆใฉใ†ใ—ใŸใ‚‰ใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใ ใ‚ใ†๏ผŸใ€ 19 7 line ending: โ€ฆ์ •๋ง๋กœ ๊ทธ๋ ‡๊ฒŒ ๋ผ ๋ฒ„๋ฆฌ๋ฉด ์–ด๋–กํ•ด์•ผ ํ• ๊นŒ?

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if itโ€™s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! Thatโ€™s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you donโ€™t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.

Resources

:jp: Wanikani Book Club
:jp: Wanikani Vocabulary List
:jp: JPDB Vocabulary List

Poll

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • Iโ€™m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • Iโ€™m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
3 Likes

I just finished week 2. A little bit early, I know, but once I saw this post I couldnโ€™t wait. Iโ€™m still amazed at how easy the grammar has been for me, at least for the Korean translation. Hard vocab, easy grammar, I can read pretty easily, but when itโ€™s the opposite thatโ€™s a whole other story.

So far, between last week and this weekโ€™s reading, Iโ€™m at ~250 lingQs. (If youโ€™re not familiar with them, one lingQ equals one form of the word, so ์ฑ… , ์ฑ…์ด , ์ฑ…์„, ์ฑ…๋„ and ์ฑ…์œผ๋กœ would count as 5 lingQs for example.) 150 of those are from last week though, because really with the snack description I was almost marking every other word as unknown.

The mimetic words are the ones giving me the most trouble, because it feels like there are endless combinations of sounds, and here theyโ€™re all different ones. I donโ€™t even know whether I should make Anki cards for them or just ignore them.

As soon as I read โ€œ๋ฒ ๋‹ˆ์ฝ”์˜ ๋ˆˆ์ด ์ˆ˜์ƒํ•˜๊ฒŒ ๋น›๋‚˜๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์„ ๋งˆ์œ ๋ฏธ๋Š” ์•Œ์•„์ฐจ๋ฆฌ์ง€ ๋ชปํ–ˆ๋‹คโ€ I knew that something fishy was about to happen. And while I donโ€™t know exactly how much 10 yen is worth, it definitely doesnโ€™t sound like a lot for a magic snack.
What I wasnโ€™t expecting though was the description afterwards, with the dryness, the thirst, the scales slowly spreading. Itโ€™s really well written.

7 Likes

Started my first JPN readthrough but will probably need to read again once or twice to fully understand. Iโ€™m glad Iโ€™m getting the gist of things though!

Iโ€™m running into the usual issue where kids books use loads of kana-only words which makes seperating out the actual verb a huge pita, but at least yomitan will help out when I do my lookup pass in a bit.

6 Likes

I ended up going a paragraph or two past the section end because I didnโ€™t want to stop! Based on last weekโ€™s reading (and the beginning of chapter pictures) I knew what was coming, but the author did a really good job of making everything feel so visceral!

I laughed a little reading, ใ‚ใจใซใ‚‚ใ„ใ‚ใ„ใ‚ๆ›ธใ„ใฆใ‚ใฃใŸใŒใ€็œŸ็”ฑ็พŽใฏใใฎ้ƒจๅˆ†ใฏใ™ใฃใจใฐใ™ใ“ใจใซใ—ใŸboth from a โ€œbeen thereโ€ and โ€œthatโ€™s gonna come back to bite youโ€ perspective. I wonder what was written on the paper that she didnโ€™t bother to read.

Ugh yes!
Really happy Iโ€™m reading along to the audiobook :innocent:

4 Likes

Just finished week 2s pages and Iโ€™m getting on quite well with it with only some look ups for vocab. The grammar has been pretty straight forward. I kinda want to keep reading but at the same time, the weeks pages are taking me about an hour or so to read through (with a gap after about 5-6 pages). There are bits that Iโ€™m missing but mostly, Iโ€™ve got the gist of whatโ€™s going on (and I was not prepared for the way this is going).

7 Likes

always read the small print, kids!

/edit oops, i overread by a few pages. Might need to edit my EPUB to mark the ending sentences as well lol

4 Likes

If they did, then we wouldnโ€™t have a story :smile:

I feel ya. Sometimes even Yomitan and 10ten Reader fail to parse hiraganized parts like ไป˜ใๆทปใ„ vs ใคใๆทปใ„ใ€‚

5 Likes

personally i think she has a personal injury action arising from reckless provision even with a warning label but i appreciate itโ€™s very hard to sue a magic shop

7 Likes

A few qs

Near the end of this week's reading

ๆณณใ’ใ‚‹ใ‚ˆใ†ใซใฏใชใชใ‚ŠใŸใ‹ใฃใŸใ‘ใฉใ€ใ“ใ‚“ใชใตใ†ใซใฏใชใ‚ŠใŸใใชใ‹ใฃใŸใ€‚
Is this ่Šฑใชใ‚ŠใŸใ‹ใฃใŸ in the meaning where ใฏใช is like โ€˜pre-eminent, a sterling example ofโ€™ etc?

In the bathroom

I wasnโ€™t clear on this, but did she dash out of the toilets after lunch ended (so everybody is back in class)? So she basically skipped the last few periods of school and ran home?

3 Likes
re: a few qs

Iโ€™m pretty sure thatโ€™s a ใซใฏ there. With some extra spaces to help parse (and getting rid of the extra ใช):
ๆณณใ’ใ‚‹ใ‚ˆใ† ใซใฏ ใชใ‚ŠใŸใ‹ใฃใŸ ใ‘ใฉใ€ใ“ใ‚“ใชใตใ†ใซใฏใชใ‚ŠใŸใใชใ‹ใฃใŸใ€‚

I wanted to be able to swim, but this isnโ€™t the way I wanted it to happen (or something along those lines. Translation is hard :joy:)

Yeah thatโ€™s what I got out of it.

4 Likes

Doh, youโ€™re right about that missing ใซ๏ผ I did think that reading was a bit needlessly complicated.

2 Likes

Missed the end line for this week and accidentally finished the chapterโ€ฆ :sweat_smile:

Out of interest, are those kind of DIY sweets common in Japan? Iโ€™ve never heard of them beforeโ€ฆ :astonished:

3 Likes
Not sure if they're common...

but I was envisioning something like this:

Popinโ€™ Cookinโ€™ Kawaii Gummy Land DIY Candy Kit โ€“ Japan Candy Store

They had a bunch of the kits at a nearby grocery store in Japantown back when I lived in San Francisco, and my coworkers and I would do them all the time at lunch or after work, so to me they feel common :joy:

3 Likes

They look so cute! I kinda wanna try them as long as theyโ€™re from a reputable, non-magical source. :joy:

3 Likes
I had something similar as a child

Itโ€™s French though.
Amazon.fr

2 Likes

I know ๅƒ•ใฎๅฟƒใฎใ‚„ใฐใ„ใ‚„ใค had a โ€˜mix your own sherbertโ€™ sort of thing that was pivotal in a chapter. I think ้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ generally have these more oddball sweets, if ใ ใŒใ—ใ‹ใ— or ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‹ใ„ไธŠๆ‰‹้ซ˜ๆœจใ•ใ‚“ (or even Hi Score Girl) etc is any representation.

2 Likes

Finished this weekโ€™s section!

Omigosh, popin cookin, me and my friend bought a popin cookin kit once in college because she really wanted to make one. It was fun to make but didnโ€™t taste that great.

4 Likes

Yeah in my experience they are way more about the process than the product :joy:

4 Likes