page
:kr:
No. of
pages
:kr:
Notes
6 26 Feb 3 62 10 line ending: …と留守電が入ってくる 55 10 line ending: …기분 나쁜 목소리가 들렸다

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.

Resources

:jp: Wanikani Book Club
:jp: Wanikani Vocabulary List
:jp: JPDB Vocabulary List

Poll

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

No lookups run complete, now to go through again.

In line with last week’s discussion,I was actively thinking about it this week while reading and I think we were correct to say that while the grammatical patterns are much easier than また夢, there is a larger more varied vocabulary that requires more lookups.

Fascinated by the change in protagonist pov and what the deal with with the coins was this time … And what rule was inadvertantly broken

5 Likes

I was kinda surprised that the protagonist wasn’t a child this time. I don’t know why I assumed it would always be the case, but I guess I did.

Seeing as I turned up the heat right before I read this, I didn’t exactly appreciate all the cold talk that was in the chapter. I felt like I could feel the cold mist creeping up on me too!

I’m curious to see where this goes. And also, she didn’t get a warning from Beniko about reading the instructions this time. I wonder if because she’s an adult she was supposed to know better :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Very spooky! Loads and loads of lookups, but I found myself very drawn in, even though it’s sorta basic (if it was in English). I need a little help here and there:

1. Re: payment, the reason Mika didn’t want to give up the 5y coin was it was blue with rust since it was so old, right? There was some mention about ‘compared to being a protective charm’ or something but it didn’t return to that point and made more of an issue of the rust thing.
  1. Brain freeze for this bit – 美紀は気にしないことにした = Miki decided to ignore it?
3 Likes

Correct. It was gross and rusted and she didn’t think Beniko would want it/didn’t want to push it on Beniko.

So she mentions this in the text, but 5 yen pieces are lucky in Japan because ごえん can be 5円 or 御縁.
Actually according to that article some people consider them UNlucky, but my friend collected them and strung them up so that’s how I think of them :joy:.

So I think because she found it when she moved in, it was “ごえん”, AND because it was rusted blue, she was hesitant to pay with it.

Yep!

5 Likes

Oh, i do remember the coins with the holes in them were the good ones to toss in the shrine donation box. (賽銭箱? Oof, had to shake the rust off that one, that’s a word I haven’t used in a while)

4 Likes

Hope you don’t offer a rusty blue one in the 賽銭箱 :joy:

4 Likes

That was a super atmospheric start.

No warning, more like excitement! This surprised me when Beniko says, スリルを楽しんでくださんせ

Totally different vibe!

4 Likes

I think the combination of it being a children’s book and revolving around a snack shop made me assume the same, but it’s nice that there’s variety. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I decided to read through the whole chapter first with no/minimal lookups, and I actually had a decent understanding! Although, at the beginning, I also assumed the protagonist was a child, and completely skimmed over her actual age. Really had me being like, huh, :thinking: I guess they do things different in Japan, this twelve year old has an apartment and a job.

5 Likes