Week 4 ๐Ÿญ ใตใ—ใŽ้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ ้Šญๅคฉๅ ‚ ๐Ÿ‘ต ์ด์ƒํ•œ ๊ณผ์ž ๊ฐ€๊ฒŒ ์ „์ฒœ๋‹น ๐Ÿฌ

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start
Date
Ch. :jp:
End
page
:jp:
No. of
pages
Digital
(epub/
BW)
Audio-
book
Notes
:kr:
End
page
No. of
pages
Notes
4 12 Feb 2 41 10 23%
?
39:20 line ending: โ€ฆไธญ่บซใฏใฉใ‚“ใ‚ใฎใชใ‚“ใ ใ‚ใ†๏ผŸ 35 9 line ending: โ€ฆ์•Œ๋งน์ด๋Š” ์–ด๋–จ๊นŒ?โ€™

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if itโ€™s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! Thatโ€™s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you donโ€™t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.

Resources

:jp: Wanikani Book Club
:jp: Wanikani Vocabulary List
:jp: JPDB Vocabulary List

Poll

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • Iโ€™m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • Iโ€™m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
1 Like

Finished my initial read, happy to get the gist of it but will go back over again today probably.

I liked the immediate twist on the formula by the viewpoint character not being the intended customer, and how that spiralled out of control very quickly

/edit also, Damn lil sis even scarier than the living biscuits!

6 Likes

Near the end of the chapter:

ใบใ‚ใƒƒใจใ€ใ‚ขใƒกใฎ้ƒจๅˆ†ใ‚’ใชใ‚ใฆใฟใ›ใฆใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€ๆต็พŽใฏใกใ‚ใ‚ŠใจไฟกไนŸใ‚’่ฆ‹ใŸใ€‚
What is ใกใ‚ใ‚Š? I could only find a sake warmer jug or something which doesnโ€™t seem right.

3 Likes

I had the same trouble. Iโ€™m pretty sure itโ€™s ใกใ‚‰ใ‚Š.

3 Likes

Isnโ€™t that past the section this week?

On that note, Iโ€™m at 39:20 in the audiobook and ~23% in the epub for the end of section.

2 Likes

wait was this week not the entirety of chapter two

/fakeedit dโ€™oh! This is what happens when you donโ€™t read the instructions!!!

7 Likes

At least youโ€™ll have pre-read next weekโ€™s section and can go for a deeper pass right away :blush:

5 Likes

Iโ€™ve just finished this weekโ€™s reading, but Iโ€™m tempted to just finish the chapter to see what happensโ€ฆ :nerd_face:

Thank you! Added to the table. :grin:

4 Likes
ใกใ‚ใ‚Š

According to Daijirin, it is indeed the same as ใกใ‚‰ใ‚Š:

4 Likes

I just finished this week! So far, Iโ€™m at 102 LingQs for this chapter. Understanding was a lot easier, thanks to the similar setting as last week. I do find the differences very interesting though. I have a feeling that ์‹ ์•ผ will only suffer from worse side effects after daring to steal from the old lady. @bibliothecary , maybe youโ€™ll get your dark chapter ending this time!

This weekโ€™s main character is much less lovable than chapter 1โ€™s. Just seeing this sentence, the author really wanted to make us understand how much of a bad person he is.
๋ˆˆ๋ฌผ์ด ๊ทธ๋ ๊ทธ๋ ํ•œ ๋™์ƒ ์–ผ๊ตด์„ ๋ณด๊ณ ์„œ ์‹ ์•ผ๋Š” ๋งŒ์กฑ์Šค๋Ÿฌ์› ๋‹ค. (He saw the tears flowing on his little sisterโ€™s face and was satisfied.)

The one sentence Iโ€™m having trouble with is the last one. ์•Œ๋งน์ด๋Š” ์–ด๋–จ๊นŒ? Is it saying, relating that to the previous sentence (๋™๋ฌผ๋“ค๋„ ์ฃ„๋‹ค ๋ฌด์‹œ๋ฌด์‹œํ•˜๊ฒŒ ์ƒ๊ฒผ์–ด.) something like animals look terrifying, but do they actually act that way? Is their core also scary?

4 Likes

I got behindโ€ฆbut Iโ€™ve finished this week!

Main character for this story is mean! Stop being mean to your sister! As a younger sibling, I feel the need to defend younger siblings of the world. Also, I listened ahead on the audiobook but my comprehension is trash, so Iโ€™m interested to see if what I thought was happening is actually what will happen.

Oh, I also love how when reading childrenโ€™s stuff in Japanese even the most basic plot points impress me. I guess because itโ€™s so much work to read. I was like, woah! heโ€™s stealing!! Gasp!

7 Likes

haha i feel that. i feel like im reading charlie and the chocolate factory again or enid blyton

5 Likes

Thereโ€™s a freedom to reading in a foreign language. You know what makes good or bad plots still, but you donโ€™t know what makes good or bad prose. So you can get a lot more enjoyment out of things that you wouldnโ€™t be able to stand in English (or whatever other languages you speak).

5 Likes

Iโ€™ve noticed that my average rating for Korean is much higher than for Spanish. And this makes sense, the better you know a language, the more youโ€™ll be able to pick and choose what you read, so your standards are higher. Plus, if you end up reading a slightly less good book, youโ€™ll definitely notice the small (or big) things that prevent it from being a better book.
My Korean rating average is slowly getting lower though, proof of my improving reading level.

3 Likes