Week 1 ๐Ÿญ ใตใ—ใŽ้ง„่“ๅญๅฑ‹ ้Šญๅคฉๅ ‚ ๐Ÿ‘ต ์ด์ƒํ•œ ๊ณผ์ž ๊ฐ€๊ฒŒ ์ „์ฒœ๋‹น ๐Ÿฌ

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start
Date
Ch. :jp:
End
page
:jp:
No. of
pages
Digital
(epub/
BW)
Audio-
book
Notes
:kr:
End
page
No. of
pages
Notes
1 22 Jan 1 14 9 4.22%
8%
9:05 line ending: โ€ฆใŠใฎใžใฟใง๏ผŸใ€ 12 6 line ending: โ€ฆ์–ด๋–ค ๊ณ ๋ฏผ์„ ํ•ด๊ฒฐํ•˜๊ณ  ์‹ถ์œผ์‹œ์ฃ ?โ€

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if itโ€™s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! Thatโ€™s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you donโ€™t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.

Resources

:jp: Wanikani Book Club
:jp: Wanikani Vocabulary List
:jp: JPDB Vocabulary List

Poll

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • Iโ€™m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • Iโ€™m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
4 Likes

As noted in the home thread I believe this will end at approximately the 4.24% mark for the JPN digital version.

5 Likes

I decided to read along after all since the pace is pretty cruisy.

I just read this weekโ€™s section.

Not much to say since nothing has really happened yet :sweat_smile:

I finished at 8 percent with the Bookwalker version.

3 Likes

Even though Iโ€™m reading too many things rn, Iโ€™m going to see how long I can keep up with this book club, the pace doesnโ€™t seem so bad. famous last words

Re: digital %, Iโ€™m reading mine on ttsu reader and it also ends around ~4.22% for me. (I think ttsu calculates it by character % rather than pages?)

Comments

Not much has happened yet but it makes me want to read xxxHOLIC and Petshop of Horrors, heh. Iโ€™m guessing by the title and Mayumiโ€™s fear of water that sheโ€™s going to be turned into a mermaid.

Questions

ใ€Œใใ‚‡ใ†ใฎๅนธ้‹ใฎใŠๅฎใฏใ€ๆ˜ญๅ’Œๅ››ๅไบŒๅนดใฎๅๅ††็Ž‰ใงใ”ใ–ใ‚“ใ™ใ‹ใ€‚ใ‚ˆใ†ใ”ใ–ใ‚“ใ™ใญใˆใ€‚ใŠๅฎใ‚’ๆŒใฃใŸใŠๅฎขใŒๆฅใฆใใ‚Œใ‚‹ใจใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใ”ใ–ใ‚“ใ™ใญใˆใ€

What does ใ‚ˆใ†ใ”ใ–ใ‚“ใ™ mean? Google says it can be an old fashioned way of saying ใ‚ˆใ”ใ–ใ‚“ใ™ but Iโ€™m not sure that โ€œbest wishesโ€ or โ€œno problemโ€ fits here.

5 Likes

I just finished chapter 1 (weeks 1 to 3).
My bookwalker percentages are -
wk 1 - 8%
wk 2 - 15%
wk 3 - 20%

5 Likes

Thatโ€™s weird. Iโ€™m using a Kobo turned EPUB, but the discrepancy shouldnโ€™t be that big. Maybe Iโ€™m looking at the wrong end sentence (since I didnโ€™t get through the whole reading yet)

4 Likes

I got the same % as you with an epub, I think it has to do with page % vs character %, because when I logged it on Natively with the page count, it is about 9% which sounds roughly the same as clamโ€™s.

Just skimmed ch 1 to double check and get the rest of the % for epub/ttsu:

wk 1: ~4.22%
wk 2: ~11.63%
wk 3: ~16.45%

Not sure if the % is for the top of the page or the bottom of the page, but close enough.

4 Likes

Updated the %s here and in the home thread. Iโ€™ve included both the epub and Bookwalker estimates - in a perfect world, all digital versions would be the same %-wiseโ€ฆ :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

FYI: The audio book ends at 9:05 this week

3 Likes

I just finished this weekโ€™s reading! So far so good, although I did spend a lot of time looking up snacks. I learned a lot of new descriptive words, and some mimetic words as well. I feel like the level is perhaps a little high for me vocab wise, but since the grammar is so simple (for the Korean version), thatโ€™s nothing an inbuilt dictionnary canโ€™t fix!

Anyone else hungry now?

10 Likes

Iโ€™m struggling with a reading of a word. The Wanikani vocab list above shows a reading which I thought would be correct but when I put the word into DeepL it says it differently and Iโ€™m not sure which is correct because I think they have slightly different meanings. I can only put the physical page number because I donโ€™t have the ebook.

Page 11 near the end, itโ€™s the second last sentence, the word is: ้€šใฃใฆ. The sentence is:
้“ใฏใ€ใ‚‚ใ†ไฝ•็™พๅ›žใจ้€šใฃใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ‘ใฉใ€ใ‚ใ‚“ใชๅบ—ใ€่ฆ‹ใŸใ“ใจใชใ„ใ€‚

I read it as ใจใŠใฃใฆ (ใจใŠใ‚‹ - ้€šใ‚‹) which I think is like โ€˜throughโ€™ but when I put the sentence into DeepL to roughly check my understanding of it, DeepL uses ใ‹ใ‚ˆใฃใฆ (ใ‹ใ‚ˆใ† - ้€šใ†) which I thought had a meaning similar to โ€˜commuteโ€™.

If anyone can shed any light on which should be correct, please do. I understand the general meaning of the sentence so thatโ€™s not a problem, Iโ€™m just unsure on the correct Japanese to use in this case.

4 Likes

My version of the book has full furigana and it says ใจใŠใ‚‹ which I first thought is strange because she actually is on her commute, but then again in this context the relevant part is not the commute but that she walked along this road so often, so it all makes sense.

Here is an explanation in Japanese with a few examples:

It basically means ใ„ใ„ใงใ™.

10 Likes

I interpreted that as ใ„ใ„ใงใ™ since ใ‚ˆใ„ = ใ„ใ„ but maybe I oversimplified it. (oops, crossed messages with @nikoru so thatโ€™s 2 votes for that interpretation!)

6 Likes

Woo, Iโ€™m up to date, and (after many lookups) I basically understand most everything I think. Phew.

8 Likes

I didnโ€™t even see that there was a Natively book club for this, lol. There arenโ€™t any links or marks on the bookโ€™s Natively page to point here, only the old WK book club.

So, I read today till the first picture in the second chapter, with lots of lookups and over 100 new Anki vocab cards. The main hurdle for me so far is the lack of vocabulary and a lot of words that are written in hiragana. Those take more time to disambiguate compared to kanji, and in the end, I would still add their kanjified form to the Anki deck in most of the time.

5 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out! Iโ€™ve submitted feedback, so it should be updated soon. :+1:

6 Likes

Iโ€™ll add it into the reading schedule, will be useful if anyone wants to just listen to the audiobook. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh yeah this issue should be remedied once we have book clubs as a native feature.
Iโ€™m sure @brandon is taking note on these aspects of the new feature, riiiight? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Well I finished the book in 3 days :laughing:

Iโ€™ll pop in to discuss the relevant sections from time to time as they come up in the schedule :smiley:

8 Likes
Prologue thoughts

As another comment on this sentence, I happened across a related grammar point today and there is an interesting subtlety here that I wouldnโ€™t have gotten otherwise.
ใ€‚ใ€‚ใ€‚ใจใ„ใ„ใงใ™ใญ I hope (for the benefit of someone)
ใ€‚ใ€‚ใ€‚ใจใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ‘ใฉใ€ใ€‚ใ€‚ใ€‚ใจใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใงใ™ใŒ (I hope, for my benefit).

I had kinda been wondering if ็ด…ๅญใ•ใ‚“ was hoping this for her benefit or the customerโ€™s, but since she says ใ‚ˆใ†ใ”ใ–ใ‚“ใ™ใญใˆ it seems she does have a good intention.

about the proprietress's name

FYI my Japanese friend tells me ็ด…ๅญ is quite rare as a name, sheโ€™s never come across it. ็ด… means scarlet

7 Likes