page
:kr:
No. of
pages
:kr:
Notes
11 1 Apr 5 117 11 end of chapter 106 11 end of chapter

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.

Resources

:jp: Wanikani Book Club
:jp: Wanikani Vocabulary List
:jp: JPDB Vocabulary List

Poll

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
3 Likes

I’m finally completely caught up!

Once again, I was not expecting this ending at all. The mysterious Beniko has finally personally intervened! It’s nice to see that the protagonist really just screwed himself on his own in the end. If he hadn’t been greedy and hadn’t stolen the candy or if he simply hadn’t eaten it, nothing would’ve gone wrong. And of course, if he hadn’t been horrible to everyone then she wouldn’t have had to come either.
We also finally get a sort of bad ending for a character, which is maybe more acceptable now than it would’ve been for one of the other chapters because the protagonist is not only an adult but also just really despicable.

This chapter felt slightly harder than the other ones, but I’m at least glad that it wasn’t the first one, or I might’ve gotten a bit discouraged by the level.

I just got the audiobook, so I already started listening back from the beginning and rereading along. Since I have the audiobooks for the entire series, I think I’ll probably continue reading the next volumes as well. It’s really a nice blend of a familiar setting and some new elements, to learn a lot of new words every chapter while not getting lost.

3 Likes

It’s always nice to read a fun and karmic ending. Almost literally a β€˜get what you deserve’ plot in this case, too.

Word-wise I have to say the difficulty jumped significantly in this chapter, with loads of new words as well as loads of hirigana usage for words that could have been in kanji, so I have to say if I didn’t have a text hooker I would probably have been pretty annoyed. Like if previous chapters I was at something like 80-90% word coverage I feel like I dropped to something like 60% here which felt frustrating.

4 Likes

Agree with the difficulty. Last week I was thinking it was a lot of hair salon vocabulary, but I was paying more attention this week and it just felt like the vocabulary for everything was just harder. I’m curious to know what the next story will bring in that regard.

I loved that he was just a complete ass and screwed himself over. A+ ending.

Also, anyone else get the impression that Beniko can also turn herself into a catπŸ™€?

4 Likes

How? Where? I think I missed this completely.

1 Like

I can’t remember if I was in this book club. I finished the book weeks ago.

1 Like

You said that you would read along in the initial poll. So I’m guessing you probably were in the bookclub.

2 Likes

The assistant who got the candy rescued her cat, and she was surprised that Beniko knew she was the one that had rescued her cat because there wasn’t anyone around when she did it.

Maybe she can just talk to cats :grin:

2 Likes

Ohh right. I was thinking more of something like a talking cat (or a snack that makes you able to talk with cats) in the moment.

It looks like we’ll have to read the next book(s) to find out!

2 Likes

Actually, I have a wild theory as to how Beniko came to be aware of the whole cat saving thing. I was rereading and listening along to chapter 2, and it has β€œκ³ μ–‘μ΄ λˆˆκΉ”μ‚¬νƒ•β€ (cat ι£΄ηŽ‰), so maybe you were right @shitsurei and she ate this to turn into a cat!

2 Likes

Based on all the candy that she has access to it could really be all of the above!

2 Likes

I think that I rushed through the book so that I could join and read another book. It worked well for reading motivation!
Now I’m clubless.

2 Likes

About beniko

I was thinking that, but at the party when ε…Έθ‘Œ is afraid of her in the shop

2 Likes