đŸ‡ŻđŸ‡” Index List of Book Clubs

I guess a poll would be in order

How to handle languages in book club listing?
  • Create a thread in each language subforum. Reading Reading
  • Make a table/section for each language and move the thread to All Languages
  • Other: Leave a comment.
0 voters

I can see what you mean but a few things come to mind:

• When Natively adds more languages, this will get out of hand if we use the same table.
  • If we create tables in the same thread for each language, it could get very long.

I’d still go for the separate threads in each language. My reasoning is someone trying to find a Korean Book Club is unlikely to get any interest in the Japanese ones and vice-versa. (@bibliothecary being a rare exception by doing both :sweat_smile:).

This also would keep the threads clean, and concise. Easy to escalate to more languages by each living on their own place.

As a middle ground, maybe we can put a notes column in the table where we specify there’s some important information such as that it’s on-going in multiple languages?

2 Likes

Those are very good points. :thinking:

That sounds like a good compromise! I need to think on my vote for the poll above still, but a notes section sounds workable!

2 Likes

If we have a thread in each sub-forum, we can have a Master thread in All Languages .

This way it should be very easy to put a table with flags and that in a glance see all the languages, without making a super huge thread.

It’s more work, but I think it’s also cleaner.

3 Likes

Thanks @Megumin for adding the きらきらăČかる thread! :blush:
(TBH I did not even know this thread existed, so another thank you for making it show up in my list of changes! :grin:)

2 Likes

Actually @eefara did that edit :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh ok? Hmmm it showed up in the list as if you had done it?! Maybe because you created the post in the first place? :thinking:

Anyways, thanks to @eefara then :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

No prob. I’m extremely stealthy; been working on my @Megumin impression. :eyes:

6 Likes

BTW @eefara not sure if the Onda Riku club was originally called something else on the list, but the with-in post links don’t work as fancy as this:

You need to hover over the title, and see what link name was assigned

In this case the Kanji was skipped while generating that link, probably due to a discourse limitation, meaning the link #onda-riku-club-5 doesn’t work, it has to be called #club-5 Internally.

Otherwise if you click it, it won’t do anything vs going to the right section.

3 Likes

Aaaah, thanks for the heads up! I could have sworn it was working when I first added it, but I must’ve been mistaken. :frowning: I’ll keep that in mind when adding future links though; thank you!

I also have to say, before seeing it in this thread I didn’t realize Discourse could have a table of content-esque set of links. It’s surprisingly handy.

2 Likes

Yeah, the only annoying part of it, is adding a header before the last one, changes all the links again, so you have to re-do them.

Something to take in mind if adding completely new sections.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. :sweat_smile: On one hand Natively has been massively influenced by WK with avid readers being introduced from that community. On the other hand, WK and Natively aren’t formally affiliated, so as Natively grows larger it feels weirder and weirder to credit stuff over on that end
 But it’s also a really great resource for Natively peeps looking for more reading variety, at least until Natively grows a bit more.

Maybe it would be best to not link outside of Natively on the book club tables, and instead rely on the individual book club thread creators to advertise their WK parent in the topic thread if they so wish
 Thoughts @Megumin?

4 Likes

Well, the table is called Natively Book Clubs, so putting non-natively in that table is at best, miss-leading.

If non-LN book clubs are added, they need their own separated table, maybe a separated thread to not make it ridiculously long.

I haven’t given any input until now because they were under the Informal Book Club, but it grows too much
 then yeah.

3 Likes

I can just remove the WK links for now, then. I think we’re still all clear on all of these clubs being Natively clubs (they’re not being hosted simultaneously on both sites, for example) so no need for a separate table/thread/etc. yet, at least.

@omk3 I don’t think I saw a link, but feel free to mention the Spooky WK Halloween club in the ăƒȘング thread, since I’ll be removing the reference here.

3 Likes

I can repurpose my second post and convert it to a Wiki to put non-natively there, if people find it that’s the best way to approach it.

1 Like

Hmm. I’m fine either way; I’ll leave it for others to chime in. Tagging @omk3, @nikoru, and @cat, since I believe they’ve each been the founder of a “crossover” club.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what club of mine you’re talking about
? I haven’t put any WK hosted clubs on the table and my informal thread for Level 7 was hosted here and has nothing to do with WK.

3 Likes

I was very confused at this “non-LN book clubs”, until I realized it means Learn Natively and not Light Novel :rofl:

All the clubs under the Informal category are fully hosted here on Natively.

In the case of きらきらăČかる, it is loosely part of a WK umbrella club, in that it lists books of certain characteristics (“profoundly weird” protagonists), with links to whatever reading thread is created. So there’s a link there that links to the thread here. It’s not an official club or anything. We can remove the link back from the table if you think it’s cleaner.

In the case of ăƒȘング, the connection is even looser. It was nominated in the Halloween club in WK, but didn’t get any votes, so I made a thread for it here. It’s fully a Natively club, but it has its origins in WK so to speak. Again, the link can be removed from the table. I really don’t mind either way.

Or we could add an (ext) next to the links to show the link to the parent club is external. Or WK. Personally, anything that brings more books to my attention is welcome. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

While this would work, the problem is that is one of the most predominant links there.

You are more likely to click on the Book Name, or the Club Name than the small House or Tag links, and then create confusion in my opinion.

1 Like

Ah, my mistake; I was thinking that Level 7 started over on WK and ended up here for some reason.

Would it be worth adding a separate external icon beside the house and tag? Small, doesn’t take up an extra post, etc. Not sure what would be best to use
 :chains:? To show a connection
?

1 Like

Now that I look at the table more carefully, is the “club” column even necessary? All books of the same club are under the same header, which is the name of the club itself. Couldn’t we put the link in the header and remove the column completely? Any link to a parent or related external club could go in the individual threads, or as a small icon in the table here.

5 Likes