ハンチバック Informal Reading Club

Welcome to the ハンチバック Informal Reading Club

ハンチバック | L31 (learnnatively.com)

Note: The book will receive 50% coins back on Bookwalker if purchased before March 14.
You can still get 50% coins back on Bookwalker until March 25, as long as the book is part of a purchase that totals at least 1500 yen.

Japanese blurb

私の身体は、生き抜いた時間の証として破壊されていく 「本を読むたび背骨は曲がり肺を潰し喉に孔を穿ち歩いては頭をぶつけ、私の身体は生きるために壊れてきた。」 圧倒的迫力&ユーモアで選考会に衝撃を与えた、第128回文學界新人賞受賞作。 打たれ、刻まれ、いつまでも自分の中から消えない言葉たちでした。この小説が本になって存在する世界に行きたい、と強く望みました。 ――村田沙耶香 小説に込められた強大な熱量にねじ伏せられたかのようで、 読後しばらく生きた心地がしなかった。 ――金原ひとみ 文字に刻まれた肉体を通して、 書くという行為への怨嗟と快楽、 その特権性と欺瞞が鮮明に浮かび上がる。 ――青山七恵 井沢釈華の背骨は、右肺を押し潰すかたちで極度に湾曲している。 両親が遺したグループホームの十畳の自室から釈華は、あらゆる言葉を送りだす――。

Automatically translated English blurb

My body is being destroyed as a testament to the time I have lived through. Every time I read a book, my spine bends, my lungs collapse, my throat is punctured, I walk and bump my head, my body has been broken in order to live." The 128th Bungakukai New Writers Award winner, which shocked the selection committee with its overwhelming power and humor. They were words that were struck, engraved, and will never be erased from my mind. I strongly wished to go to the world where this novel exists as a book. --Sayaka Murata I felt as if I had been twisted down by the mighty heat contained in the novel, I didn’t feel alive for a while after reading it. --Hitomi Kanehara Through the body carved in letters, The vindictiveness and pleasure of the act of writing, The privilege and deception of the act of writing come vividly to the surface. --Nanae Aoyama Shuka Izawa’s spine is extremely curved, crushing her right lung. From her 10-mat room in the group home left by her parents, Shakuka begins to launch every word she has to say.
(Translated with DeepL)

ハンチバック is 市川沙央’s first full-length novel. It has received the 128th 文學界新人賞 (Literary World New Face Award) and the 169th Akutagawa Ryunosuke Award. The author herself suffers from symptomatic scoliosis due to muscle disease congenital myopathy, and regularly uses a ventilator and an electric wheelchair like the novel’s protagonist.

The book is only 96 pages long, and as an Akutagawa winner, reading it gives you the chance to tick a box in the Akutagawa Prize Reading Challenge.

Start date: March 18

We will be reading this informally, which means you can join any time and read at whatever pace suits you. When you comment, make sure to use spoilers and to always mention up to where you’ve read , so that other readers know when it’s safe to open spoilers.

There are no chapters in this book, but there are blank lines between sections. I list
the sections below for easy reference. I’m reading the ebook so I don’t have the page numbers. If someone wants to provide them I’ll add them to the table.

Section # ends on end % end page
1 </div> 11%
2 夢です> 21%
3 ぼっきり折った。 26%
4 追い付きたっかた。 30%
5 付けられているのに… 38%
6 違いがあるだろう。 48%
7 局部を洗った。 50%
8 頷くかもですね」 57%
9 ように来ます」 63%
10 じゃあるまいし。 67%
11 私でもできた。 75%
12 言った日である。 80%
13 end of book 92%

Discussion Rules

• Please mention which chapter your comment is meant for.
  • Please use spoiler tags liberally, both for referring to the book’s contents and for speculation of your own. Label your spoilers accordingly so that people know when it’s safe to view them.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read ハンチバック with the book club?

• Yes
  • Not sure
  • No
  • I’ve already read the book but I’ll join the discussion
0 voters
3 Likes

@yukitanuki

I tentatively set the starting date as March 18 based on what you told me, but let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Any date is fine.

2 Likes

Sections 1 and 2 in the schedule have some funky formatting; is that intentional?

2 Likes

It’s exactly how they appear in the book. I also did a double take when I first opened it, but it appears intentional rather than a broken copy. :slight_smile:
(hopefully someone who has the paperback can confirm)

3 Likes

It is indeed intentional :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I think this should work out. I’ve been falling a bit behind on my reading since I got a bit sick recently, but I think I’ll be ready by March 18. Otherwise I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have coins… I get coins… could buy the book for like 200 yen… :flushed: oh the temptation… :melting_face:

1 Like

This story seems to have been published in a magazine:

which happens to be cheaper than the book itself.
But I don’t think a digital version is available. Just an FYI for those who might want to buy it physical.

3 Likes

From watching previous Akutagawa Prize ceremonies, my vague impression is that all (or most?) nominees are first published in literary magazines like the one you linked to, and are only published independently later (if at all?), sometimes even after the award winner is selected. I think maybe all debuts tend to get this treatment?

3 Likes

You might be right. This magazine seems to always have a Akutagawa prize edition publishing the latest winner…

This one has 東京都同情塔 and apparently they now also have a digital version. :eyes:

3 Likes

Just wanted to confirm that I’m ready to start on March 18!

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered a physical copy of the book, so I’ll start in about a week when it arrives :grin:

2 Likes

I love the cover and the feel of the physical version! It’s also very nice to read, since they had to space out everything a lot so it would be thick enough for a book (I assume).

In case anyone else hasn’t seen yet, there is also an audiobook on audible that’s included in the audible subscription. Since I have a subscription I will probably read along with the audiobook.

2 Likes
Section 1

Wiki article for ハプバ.
Although I was surprised when I read the first sentence, I really thought she is going to recall her own experience. But it was quickly clear that’s not the case. The audiobook narrator did an awesome job reading everything extremely deadpan :laughing: 「レッツゴー :neutral_face:

Does anyone know why × is pronounced ばつ?

And do you think the bar is really called 「×××××」or is that indicating the name is censored? Like if a bar was called **** ?

Section 2

〈高身長美男美女でブラックカード持ちの両親の元に生まれた165センチの私は健常者だったら天下取れたのに(何の天下だよ)〉

What is a ブラックカード ? When I google it it seems like to be some kind of credit card that you can have with a certain income? Since her parents have money, it makes sense, I guess?

Good that the book is so short, because I’m moving at snails pace trying to understand all of her references. I’ve never come in contact with 御題目 before either. I feel like I am learning a bit more about culture than in other books.

3 Likes

100% agree. I reread the beginning several times before I could orient myself (didn’t help that I didn’t immediately realize that ハプバ was something I should look up), then still had trouble with all the katakana I was hit with. So much vocabulary I don’t normally encounter in my reading :joy:

Then section 2 wasn’t much easier either, even if there was a complete subject change. :eyes:
No way this book is a L31.

It’s the sign of failure or error, also called 罰点.

Censored, is my understanding.

In section 1, I didn’t really get what the 地蔵たち are supposed to be and why they’re called that :thinking: (Edit: I think I found it: It’s people who just stand there during an idol concert instead of dancing, apparently. I’d say that by extension it’s anyone who doesn’t join in the action but just watches?)

I even have to look up some of the app names mentioned :sweat_smile: I do hope it gets easier. So far, the way the narration jumps around and the casual references to things that I have 0 understanding of reminds me of 推し、燃ゆ | L37 (learnnatively.com). The level of difficulty also feels similar.

3 Likes

Agreed, although maybe it gets toned down a bit as the story goes on? :sweat_smile: I feel like when I first got the book and opened a few random pages that it wasn’t that complex.

Apparently my brain already shut off at that point because I can’t recall that one at all :laughing: Very interesting and specific, though!

I think this is a good book if you are trying to get a feel for (possibly?) every day cultural references that Japanese people might make.

3 Likes

Section 5.

I’m not sure I got why 田中くん is opposed to VR, or feels he is a 弱者?

2 Likes

Since you two are struggling with the start, I just wanted to pop in and say that the story changes a bit and gets easier in a lot of ways (if you don’t regularly read smut ) after the beginning chapters. :smile:

3 Likes

That’s right, it’s just background info that she’s financially privileged basically. :money_with_wings:

4 Likes

I feel like there is way more emphasis on the main character’s body and less about her thoughts and feelings. It seems to me that we get detailed accounts on the practicalities of her body instead of hearing more about her opinions and thoughts. If we do hear her thoughts, they are often about what she is missing in relation to able-bodied people. (Not that I find it bad, I just noticed it. I think it is also normal to define yourself through your differences, because that is the reason why you are getting excluded after all.)

Section 5

アメリカの大学ではADAに基づき、電子教科書が普及済みどころか、箱から出して視覚障害者がすぐ使える仕様の端末リーダーでなければ配布物として採用されない。日本では社会に障害者はいないことになっているのでそんなアグレッシブな配慮はない

I really wouldn’t call basic accessibility アグレッシブな配慮. Really concerning how terrible living in Japan as a disabled person must be. I hope this book woke some people up.

I am not really sure what all of that was about, although when he said he felt like a 弱者 I too was worried if he’s dangerous :sweat_smile: How did you interpret it? I didn’t think that much more about it because she clearly spells out it has been a hostile conversation, so I at least know the intent of the conversation but am missing (apparently?) cultural context. Wish I had a Japanese person close by I could talk this through with. I feel like there is a lot that is not spelled out because it is implied through the experience of Japanese society excluding disabled people from public life. I don’t even know how the public discourse about disabled people is there, but from what I read in this book, it must be pretty bad. So I think not having this context about disability in Japan takes a bit away from the book. But I think I will revisit it when I understand all of that better.

Edit: I thought about it some more. Did he maybe put himself and her into a 弱者 person category because he is a low-wage worker (I assume?) and she is disabled? And both are judged by society? The fact that she was able to easily donate an expensive VR headset might have made him feel alienated, maybe? I am not sure.

4 Likes