đŸ‘· 🚧 Infrastructure Overhaul! Report newly broken functionality here! đŸ”„ 🚒

It doesn’t look like they do:

The < br > tag works though.

1 Like

oh! try it with capital ‘S’? And with ‘<’

<Spoiler></Spoiler>

This is part of the reason having the widget really helps

3 Likes

< > alone didn’t do anything, but the capital S worked, yes.

2 Likes

Erm, whut? This is something homegrown, I guess? Couldn’t find it in the HTML5 spec (or maybe I’m too stupid to use Google
)

<Spoiler> is not markdown, or am I missing something?

3 Likes

Could it be the reason spoilers in reviews don’t work in Firefox? That’s the tag used for spoilers in reviews, <Spoiler>, not [spoiler].

3 Likes

Requiring a capital S is very strange. It would never have occurred to me to not use lowercase. It’s also weird that it used <> instead of [], which is what I’d always seen before Natively. (That’s also what Discourse uses by the way.)

Either way, it should be made case insensitive.

3 Likes

I mean yeah
 there’s nothing in the HTML spec that does a spoiler behavior? :thinking:

Agreed that it should be case insensitive. Honestly not sure if it is case sensitive, but can try when I get home

1 Like

From my own small experiment, it’s definitely case sensitive. <spoiler> didn’t do anything, only <Spoiler> did.

5 Likes

If this is something you can modify, and not just a built-in limitation of the editor, typing <Spoiler> is infinitely more annoying than [spoiler] on mobile (at least on Gboard, which my devices use), and the widget doesn’t always work well with longer content
 So it would be really helpful to add the brackets one as a synonym

And as others said, the < > do misleadingly give the impression that it’s an HTML element, rather than a shortcode that adds a css class, iirc

2 Likes

unfortunately the <> are a limitation of the widget package i’m using
 but to be frank the API does make more sense than discourse’s does. Basically, they allow certain html elements and standard markdown
 but if you want a custom element you simply make a custom html element, similar to an XML document.

I perhaps could change the case insensitiveness, but I think the real solution here is to simply add the full widget :confused:

5 Likes

Ahh, it is a limitation then, gotcha.

I agree that the widget is the main solution, but case sensitivity is really an unnecessary confusion and inconvenience, esp on mobile. So it would be great to have both, if possible.

2 Likes

Well granted there is nothing (apart from <summary> but that’s a “hide details” thing) but if you call it “markdown” and it then turns out that it’s a HTML5 widget (or at least looks like one), then that’s not helpful for those trying to use that.

Why don’t you use a markdown widget? Some ages ago I used GitHub - markedjs/marked: A markdown parser and compiler. Built for speed. and was happy with it
 :thinking: You can just plug it in wherever, and you even get a nice menu with it and stuff.

1 Like

I can understand why it was built this way, because modern web development allows for custom HTML components, which by convention use upper case like <CustomComponent>. But usually those custom components aren’t exposed directly to the end user. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@brandon Hitting “issues with our servers” again

where is this happening?

On the URL in the screenshot:

i.e. “My Books” with these restrictions:

(still happening, btw)

2 Likes

Found the issue, will address tomorrow!

5 Likes

So, it seems like there are a few more issues here after exploring more:

• your page number (page 4) was outside the bounds of the results and causing an error. I should handle that better obviously, but that’s why that link is happening. I’m not entirely sure how you generated that link without hacking the p=4.
  • it seems like when you remove a ‘sort’ filter by clicking the ‘X’ on the tab, it breaks. I think this only happens for that filter from what I can tell.

If there’s other behavior that you observe, let me know! I will try to fix those bugs within the next day or so. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Easy: look at all books, go to page 4, reduce the number of books (in my case by clicking on the tag filter) :grin: No hacking involved :innocent:

I just double-checked, and you handle it gracefully when I reduce the number of books by filtering via status (i.e. choose “All”, go to the last page or so, change to “Reading”). In this case, I just get teleported to the first page, and the link is updated. It’s just when restricting via the custom tags that it doesn’t adapt the page number to the new smaller range.

BTW while you’re at it, it would be nice if I wouldn’t end up on the new first page (after the reduction) but on the new last page (i.e. the page closest to the previous page number). That would logically make much more sense to me.

Is that what has been reported a number of times by others as well? That the sorting does not update if one of the filters is removed via the X? (Otherwise I’m not sure what you’re referring to as “it breaks”).

Sure, thanks! :+1:

6 Likes

Found another funny one:

In “My Books”, when I select “Owned” with the sorting option “difficulty ascending”, when I then go to the last page and remove the sorting option (by clicking on the x in the bubble above the book list) I get this:

and the whole main area goes blank.

3 Likes