JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 Book Club

Hello! I’m hosting a book club for JoJo starting on New Years 2024.

It’s on WaniKani’s forums, partially because I keep forgetting to check Natively’s forums :face_with_peeking_eye:

The idea is to read at around the original publication rate of 1 chapter per week. It’s around an intermediate level on Natively. The WK post should be visible without an account. Please feel free to post any questions or comments here too. If WaniKani shuts down its forums, I plan to migrate here.

8 Likes

…is there reason to be concerned about this? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There weren’t great signs earlier in the year. Frankly I still don’t have confidence in WK as a company, but it seems like they are maybe planning to try to profit off of book clubs, so it could be safe for now.

Although I don’t see many new users on the forums this year and many people have said how they don’t recommend WK anymore, so I am curious if they earn enough to keep people on staff. The main tech guys seem to work part time and have limited hours.

3 Likes

I have totally missed this :eyes: to be fair, I barely use WK anymore because most of my bookclubs are here

5 Likes

Seriously?? That seems insane to me… especially as they offer literally zero support for them.

Although yes perhaps people would then migrate over here :eyes:

9 Likes

I’m shocked to hear that WK might consider charging for the forums.
Is like they are running out of ideas/income areas.

2 Likes

Do you have any source for this? First time I ever hear about it, and it doesn’t really sound plausible to me. :thinking:

3 Likes

What are your sources for this? I’m only on a few threads on WK nowadays, and don’t really browse the forums otherwise. Is this a legit concern? If it is, I need to try to figure out if I can archive some threads…

3 Likes

If you need to cross that bridge, this seems it could be handy:

1 Like

The book clubs are the best part of WK’s forums since the team doesn’t help people practice Japanese there anymore, but they don’t do much of anything with the forums in general.

edit: sorry forgot to say, but the only reason I’m starting the club there is that I’ve been wanting to do this club for longer than I’ve known about natively and I started posting about it in the WK forums to begin with. Plus I think there are currently more forum members there. Although if things change (and the club is projected to run for about 20 years), I will move the club if necessary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nothing like that that I’ve heard of, sorry if I gave that impression.

We already talked on discord, but I was just confused by hidden features mentioned in this thread

Textufugu, the platform that Tofugu used to run that promised a living textbook to users still has a forum that it seems members (and bots) can post to, but given past reactions of staff to certain situations and posts, I don’t have faith in WK to continue hosting the forums if they become really unprofitable.

2 Likes

Oh no worries, I completely understand, I love the WK forums and there lots of crosspollination :slight_smile:

Perhaps in the future, with more dedicated support we’ll get even more bookclubs here… but as it is, we already are getting a lot!

That’s a heck of a bookclub! :rofl:. 頑張って!

6 Likes

Yeah, I’d say it’s just about the opposite: you’d need to implement features to curb bookclubs here if you don’t want them spreading like mold, haha.

Phew. Godspeed!

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t expect anyone but me to commit to 20 years lol. If anyone sticks with it for that long though, drinks are on me at a JoJo Bar in Osaka. If the bars have all closed, I’ll make sure to ask Maru for some of the recipes lmao

if he’d stop fricking changing the recipes! I’ve had at least 4 different Abbacchios, although they’ve all been good

5 Likes

I’d be interested in a Jojo book club.
I used Wanikani years ago but ended up leaving because I preferred Heisig, so I’m not on there now.

1 Like

Sweet welcome to the club!

That’s no problem. You have a couple of choices

1. you could check the thread links without an account (they should always be visible) and then comment/reply here
  2. Message WK mods and access the forums through your old account (it shouldn’t be deleted unless you ask for that
  3. Make a new WK account just for the sake of posting

I think 1’s probably the easiest, but 2 or 3 would let you get email updates and the option to to click polls. There are also probably more choices, but I don’t know them off the top of my head lol

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve made a new account over there. I’m looking forward to reading some JoJo :smiley:

1 Like

Fantastic! I look forward to reading with you!!

1 Like

On track to start up on the 1st of January!

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking now that I’ve settled into running the club, would people like it crossposted over here?

I’ve got discussion/comprehension questions that I make weekly, a spreadsheet which outlines the different names of chapters along with which volume of a version they belong to, and also a shitton of places where you can find copies - digital/physical/legally free

The spreadsheet has tanko and bunko through Part 6 and I’m working on filling in the divisions for the less common editions like the conbini ones in earlier Parts.

1 Like