ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

Only half a day to get your votes in! Or shuffle them around even more I guess.

2 Likes

Well, a tie did not happen in the end, so

We have a winner!

The next book of the club will be 後宮の烏 | L34

9 Likes

That sounds above my current level but I’ll see if I feel like a big challenge when the book club starts :thinking: :grin:

5 Likes

Yeah it’s harder than I was hoping for as well (I only voted for it at the last minute, cuz I would have skipped out of the other leading choices this round).

Will do my best to stick with it tho, since I already dropped out during the last two :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

You can keep reading (and posting) even if you are behind schedule!

4 Likes

According to the rule of cutting the 5 lowest voted options (and including ties), the following 7 nominations will be removed:

5 Likes

RIP 青春ブタ野郎 (it was my very first nomination in round 1… That I never actually voted for :sweat_smile:)

Ironically now I’m kinda wanting to read it :sweat_smile: … Maybe just extensively with audiobook, when I’m bored or something…

3 Likes

Personally if I drop, it’s more about comprehensible input than pacing. That said, it’s nice knowing that we can come back to the threads later.

On another note, all the selections - and many of the nominations - so far have been L30+. So I’m thinking of starting a “beginner” LN club L20-29 only. Timing would depend on whether I keep up with 後宮の烏 or not. (Of course if someone else wants to start one instead, feel free). Since the last two rounds had 30-35 voters, I’m not too worried about substantial attrition from here, but if it looks like it might destabilize this club, I won’t make a separate one.

Would you be interested in a beginner light novel club (L20-29)?
  • Yes, and I’d still participate here
  • Yes, and I’d no longer participate here
  • Maybe / Something Else (optionally clarify in comments)
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

I would be interested in a lower level LN club, especially as I feel that the pace is a bit higher for me to keep up here… but my main issue is that I am interested in too many book clubs at once, which is also why I’m not able to read that many pages of a single book a week. So I’d probably join a L20-29 one, but I doubt I’d be able to read it alongside this one + at least 2 other book/novels clubs…

4 Likes

Expanding on “Maybe”: I’ve lurked this thread and polls for a while, but haven’t been interested in many of the books, nor motivated to join in. That said, I debated joining the 本好き readalong, and my reaction to 後宮の烏 winning round 2 is “Awesome!..And definitely beyond my level right now!” (I think 32 is my current ceiling, and anything 30+ is going to be a noticeable stretch.) It’d probably come down to both the books on offer and my enthusiasm level - I did end up joining the BL club for 今日からマ王; hopefully that goes well.

One thought for a lower-difficulty book club: L20-29 would cover most of the kids’ chapter books on this site, so a つばさ/青い鳥/みらい (and any other kids’ book imprints I may have missed) book club might work. On the other hand, kids’ books can be a crapshoot in terms of interesting material, if you’re an adult learner. I mean, to use one common example, the Magic Tree House is an adorable series, and I’ve read multiple books from it to my kids in the past before they started reading chapter books on their own…but I’m also kinda done with it at this point, regardless of language. There are options in the 20-29 range in mainstream LN imprints, but definitely fewer of them.

5 Likes

Your best bet there is nominating something. But thx for elaborating.

With very few exceptions, like https://learnnatively.com/book/a93506cde2/ I’m not interested in kids books. Somebody else gets to start that club :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m on the fence about whether I could do both rn. Assuming it does actually start, pacing would be by vote - so could go any which way.

3 Likes

I voted maybe just because I’m very picky and suspect there are very few < L30 LNs to begin with, let alone ones I’d be interested in. My sweet spot is around L29-33 (though I have occasionally read up to around L36), so I’m not against reading something L25-29 for a lighter read if it’s a book that interests me. Though there’s a good chance I wouldn’t follow the schedule closely.

5 Likes

Well there’s 327 unique LNs/series btwn L20-29 on the the site so far (222 are L26+)… So I’d say there’s more than a few :wink:

Whether they’ll be of interest is another question, of course

(that number jumps to 1,814 when you add L30 :open_mouth:)

3 Likes

Guess we’ll see then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d participate in a lower level LN club. I’m okay with bookworm but level 30 is about the highest I feel comfortable reading so far.

2 Likes

Probably because L30 is the temporary level for LNs.

4 Likes

Out of 12 LN (series) that I’ve read so far, only 4 were L30+. One was even L23, and it’s not a children’s book, though it might be more difficult than that for less experienced readers/learners purely because the MC’s ADHD is very apparent in his narration; the prose itself is very easy and smooth. (Though granted I’m not 100% certain it is officially a LN/light bungei, but it feels like YA so that’s how I classed it…)

I don’t pay much attention to Natively level when picking books (in fact, a fair few of them I added myself), but somehow by chance I keep picking LNs that are <L30 lmao. Many of the L31+ ones in my library I chose deliberately looking for ones higher than L30.

3 Likes

L31 - 40 is only 251 unique entries, so I think you may be on to something there

3 Likes

I voted Maybe as well because it depends on what the title is more than the level really.

It’s a struggle to finish a book in Japanese if you are not interested in it at all, and I don’t want to burn myself out.

5 Likes

Ok, I went ahead and made a separate post for the potential new club. So if you’re interested, please head over to 初心者のライトノベル読書会 books Beginner’s Light Novel Book Club L20-29 and feel free to nominate something!

9 Likes