ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

I think both of the last ABC books started out with a lot of people and quickly became just 2-3 people due to the various factors. Also the MBC before 告白 ended up being just 4 with 2-3 of us finishing it out of spite.

I don’t think I’ve seen a book club before where (it seems like) many of the participants are rereading it rather than it being as new.

6 Likes

The Absolute Beginners Book Club over on WK often starts with more than a hundred members. From those, around 20 tend to stay until the end, and out of those 20, it’s roughly 5 people who actually participate with posts in the book club threads. These numbers are from memory and may vary a lot from club to club, of course. The smaller the number of people participating, the more active they tend to be in the book club threads though. In a book club with 50+ people, it’s easier to just lurk, I suppose. :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

After catching up with the thread I think I’ve shifted my position on the split a bit, and I guess I’ll toss it out as a suggestion since we’re closing in on the end of the voting period:
If コップクラフト does end up winning (which it seems like it will), I think we should hold off for a few weeks until after the reading begins before considering setting up another club. Hopefully this will give the winner here some breathing room and encourage more people to give it a shot. Then for those who do end up bouncing off of it but still want to participate in a book club, there will be another chance not too far into the future.

This would also give the forum some time to discuss and sort out how we’d like to structure our book clubs, and since コップクラフト will be ongoing it would serve as a nice pilot run to reference in addition to the mystery novel club.

9 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same.

Is only fair for コップクラフト, even if it’s a close win, a win is a win.

I’ll just keep on my reading on my own, until the next opportunity comes. I’ve even have new nominations in mind, in case there’s another voting round.

3 Likes

Handily, the poll for when to start should come in handy here. First choice is June 26, and second is July 10, so we could use those two dates if people are interested.

5 Likes

Okay! Voting has officially closed (I think I might have set it to close a day early :see_no_evil: sorry guys) with our winner being コップクラフト and a very healthy second place going to 本好き. There’s been some discussion about how we want to handle this first winning pick, given that コップクラフト is a bit of an outlier difficulty-wise and it and 本好き share very little overlap in terms of voters.

Here’s the rough plan as has so far been discussed:

• As the official winner, we will begin reading コップクラフト on June 26, as voted on in this poll (scroll to the bottom of the post).
  • On July 10th, we’ll reconvene here to check out the situation on コップクラフト’s side. If club participation has tanked significantly, and/or if there’s still significant interest in reading 本好き separately, and/or due to some other circumstance, we can discuss setting up a separate club thread for it.

How does that sound to everyone?

Please find the home thread for コップクラフト here.

13 Likes

Ah, and I’ve added a (temporary?) rule about only nominating LNs <=L30 in the home post, since we’ve had some discussion about keep difficulty consistent in this particular club. Let me know if I should change anything!

Setting a limit at level 30 would even exclude 本好き. :joy:

2 Likes

L+30-? :thinking: There can definitely be some wiggle room, haha. I’ll update that.

You could say nominations should be in the N2 Natively range, which is 27-33, but the high end of that still might be a bit much…

3 Likes

That seems a bit intense. Almost all of the nominations are L30 or above (one exception), including the winner, コップクラフト | L35. Honestly unless a lot of people are requesting a level-based limit, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

3 Likes

I’m happy to hear other opinions; I feel like the prevailing ones have been “I don’t care” or “Copcraft sticks out for being at a higher level”, so I just went with the latter for now. We have until our next voting period to decide, at least.

1 Like

By the way, I don’t think that コップクラフト is particularly hard for a light novel. I could see it drop in the N2 range with more gradings (so far only 3 people graded it, including myself).

5 Likes

Yeah, comparing JPDB ratings for some well graded books, Sword Art Online and Danmachi are both rated harder at 8/10 compared to 7/10 for Cop Craft. On Natively both are lvl 32 33 and 32 respectively ATM. Of course that’s just a statistical rating, but supports the fact it’s probably a bit too high.

4 Likes

Small correction that doesn’t affect your point, but SAO is L33 (not 32)

Did Discourse freak out and delete a bunch of votes or something?

3 Likes

Anyway, there’s a good sale for 青春ブタ野郎 for those interested. I bought the first volume for 199 yen. There’s a bunch more around half off, but I didn’t get any beyond the first.

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve never seen that before. :frowning: That’s our top two completely gone. Man, what the heck happened?

1 Like

It is quite a new feeling to see 本好き with no votes :joy:

It looks like everyone is still there but only got one vote (hence why the number of votes now match the number voters)

Edit: I just realized the same thing happened to the start date poll just below it.

I wonder if it happens to all multiple polls, including new ones?

• yes
  • maybe
  • no
  • how about that

0 voters

Well, it looks fine so far.
Maybe if I close it? I’ll wait a little bit anyway.

4 Likes

Whoa. I didn’t update today or anything, although I think I did in the last week. Still, bizarre.

1 Like