百合 manga/novel discussion

I debated whether to drop this in the 吸血鬼 thread or here, but I’ve seen some people on Twitter talking about 猫ノ山寧々子はネコになる (not yet on Natively), which appears to be a 猫耳✕吸血鬼 百合 light novel, with art by someone I’ve followed for awhile whose style I really like. Perhaps it could be of interest to someone here?

5 Likes

I have been reading this yuri VN recently (I’m about 300k characters into it) Fuyukara, Kururu. | vndb

The story has been really good and its an interesting murder mystery game with yuri relationships. The story takes place at an all-girls school (where the girls are eternal) and the mission there is for everyone to become a genius. In order to do that, they go through something they call カーネーション. They age until they’re 18 and then de-age until they’re a newborn and repeat that cycle until they’re qualified as a genius. Once someone deems them a genius, they graduate the school and leave (no one knows what happens to them then). The VN talks about this process being inspired by Hebbian theory.

As for the mystery part, its explained on the vndb page but I’ll spoil it here in case someone is interested and would rather go in blind.

It seems Shihon-chan’s headless body was found in the meditation room.
A murder isn’t unusual, after all, there’s at least one bloodthirsty killer at school.
Murdering people is fine and all but it’s considered a taboo that must be never violated to decapitate and hide their head because one can never be revived if so.
If her head isn’t found within two days, she’ll really kick the bucket!

The game also has a lot of cute/funny CGs. I’m not finished with the story yet but from what I’ve read so far, I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes yuri or murder mysteries

7 Likes

If anyone ever wanted to dip their toes into some R18 yuri smut, I can recommend https://bookmeter.com/books/12757749 (can’t be added to natively for now. too NSFW. :rofl:). It’s around 36k characters long and so far I am enjoying it. It’s very much NSFW but seems written for women (i.e. not with a male gaze) which I appreciate. The MC is an inexperienced woman in her late 20s who - up until now - has not really fallen in love with anyone or been in a relationship. She visits a beauty salon where one of her former classmates (a ハーフ) works and apparently that classmate has been in love with MC for a while… “shenanigans” ensue from there. :smirk:
Language-wise I’d say N3. It’s pretty easy.

6 Likes

I was digging through my home collection and realised I have nearly a full set of 篠崎さん気をオタクしかに! which I’m… pretty sure I fumbled my way through when I bought it many years ago. Maybe I can actually read it now? Would be good to log it in any event (have requested it added).

So far just dug up and read my physical copy of あさがおと加瀬さん。 | L19 and have another two of these to go. I think I have a few more Yuri physicals to get through before I have to start ordering them from Japan…

I’m also really hopeful that 気になっている人が男じゃなかった will get some kind of physical, so I can log it.

/edit woo, they announced a tank physical! https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4046817321/

4 Likes

Stumbled upon 感情図鑑: 社会人百合短編集 | L30?? today and thought someone here might also be interested. :slight_smile: Finally some adults living adult lives. :partying_face: I hope it’s good.

2 Likes

there’s a 百合 manga/novel discussion thread and I only just now discovered it by coincidence

blasphemy

3 Likes

let me just add 2 recommendations just in case

this is a 百合 magazine, each volume has a bunch of manga oneshots - so far I onyl have the 1st volume and read some of it and can honestly recommend.

白と黒~Black & White~ 1 | L24??

about 2 women working in a bank. they have an extremely antagonistic relationship to the point of violence. I honestly love the characters and the dynamic and can whole heartedly recommend. The whole “secret mean girl and very lesbian about it” vibes are absolutely crazy :clap:

8 Likes

Galette is an interesting development, because (AIUI) it’s an independent magazine funded on a patreon-style supporter model, so the artists (many of whom have also been commercially published) seem to be more free to do the kinds of story they’re interested in without some of the “this is the kind of plot that sells to our readers” constraints of the commercial yuri magazines.

7 Likes

Speaking of commercial yuri magazines, I feel like aiming to be able to actually read a full mag of 百合姫 is one of my aims. Maybe all that time I spent lurking dynasty can be put to some use…

6 Likes

eefara reminded me of this place when liking s comment here and it occurred to me that this artist is a good fit here:

3 Likes