Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

So, the auto uploader is in a good enough place where I feel comfortable with a bit more outreach in German and Spanish. First reddit post for German! More to follow :slight_smile:

Edit: And promptly closed by moderators, ugh. Promotion is hard, even for free sites…

9 Likes

Sometimes Reddit is the worst :sweat_smile:

Is there a r/learngerman (or similar) sub as well? I feel like when there are some overlapping groups that the moderation rules tend to be more permissive in some

2 Likes

Not as far as I can tell. It’s unfortunate, because reddit is (imo) the best platform for anonymous virality, and it’s dominated by the moderation of the particular language forums. Japanese is quite permissive and, as a result, multiple apps have successfully launched there (including Natively). Korean not so much, but they have a spot for promotion. German, none seems permitted.

We’ll see, I sent a message to the moderators to see if there’s any leeway :slight_smile:

Spanish seems quite permissive but you never know.

I really need to get twitter going, but twitter is just a lot of work I think… which I’m not sure i’m well equipped for heh.

I have to figure it out, however.

6 Likes

I am constantly bemoaning how far behind all the other language learning communities are compared to Japanese. Like, r/learnjapanese can be toxic af, but man are there some good learning tools there :laughing:

8 Likes

Some “user” of r/German might ask the others how they track their reading of books etc. and then will probably be allowed to get answers that include LN, also by you, I’d suppose. Though there might be more answers at the moment that do not include it, as LN is not yet known to include German.

4 Likes

Funnily enough, the most traction I ever got in r/Korean was a post asking if there was a Korean version of Natively (back before there wasn’t one) and my response.

Of course, then when I posted in about Korean launch in the sub (which referenced that post), it was moderated as “content recommendation” which is relegated to a pinned biweekly thread no one looks at.

Oh well. They can moderate however they want. I just have to work at it harder :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, since r/German didn’t work, let’s try the r/Spanish subreddit - posted :smile:

Edit: I did also put a post on Twitter for German. If any use twitter (or X), a like or retweet would definitely help!

5 Likes

You could try r/languagelearning, they have 1.2m members compared to 300k in the German and Spanish subreddits.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely on my plan too. I was somewhat hoping to have french before I posted there, because that is the place where i hope to get the most traction. We’ll see.

That’s definitely a great shout though. I’m also realizing I launched at a bad time for the US, eesh. Rookie mistake :melting_face:

5 Likes

Does this mean if a language isn’t available with Amazon, then it won’t get added? (Asking because :ru: ;; )

2 Likes

Unfortunately no, not for the time being. It takes a bit of work to figure out auto-upload/series upload if it’s not amazon. And, tbh, I’d guess that Mandarin would be the next non-amazon language. Russian would come after that.

So a ways away I think :confused:

7 Likes

Still being a potential addition is good enough for me :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to both of those, honestly. Cheers for all your hard work thus far! <3

6 Likes

Is there any particular reason the data manager isn’t available in mobile? It’s a hassel to go find a PC when I just want to edit an entry because I messed something up

2 Likes

Also, I noticed that there’s something like the data manager available on phone anyway.
You can just go to your library and click the cogwheel icon on the book cover and it gives you something like this:

I don’t know if the data manager has more stuff, but that has covered all my needs so far.

Edit: just realized that the drop down menu gives “data manager” as the other option. Never mind then :sweat_smile:

(No idea what that can cover though)

3 Likes

Just noticed this in the OP:

The update is from a year and a half ago - maybe time to remove/update so newbies don’t get confused? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I just put the site in Desktop Version for a min when that happens, and pinch zoom in/out as necessary. But I agree, it would be great to see it implemented on mobile as well.

3 Likes

Data manager has a list of sessions with dates, pages/episodes, and read/watch time, for the particular book, series, or movie you’re viewing. Like:

Useful if you put in the wrong pgs, or added episodes late and want to go back and fix the dates/time, or other stuff like that.

3 Likes

I’ve done this as well! Not optimal, but works in a pinch.

1 Like

Curious to know what non-Amazon platform you’re thinking of using for Mandarin? (If you’ve gotten that far)

1 Like

It was just hard to fit it all onto a mobile screen… I should improve that though, good note :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m really not sure, haven’t done any research. What do people think is the most comprehensive one? Is there a website which lists all the books?

3 Likes