The Horror Book Club 👻 😱

Welcome to the Horror Book Club!

We’ll likely organize a read every Summer and Halloween, with the occasional book in between whenever there’s interest.

Feel free to talk about anything horror-related here, and suggest books for the club to read.

We’ll be keeping this generally informal and unofficial. Whenever you’re in the mood for something horror-ish, come here and see if someone else is interested to read together. Or just come here to discuss what you’ve read and how you found it.

Currently reading:

image ぼぎわんが、来る | L36 (learnnatively.com) by 澤村伊智 (home thread)

The Book Club has read:

image リング | L35 (learnnatively.com) by 鈴木 光司 (home thread)

9 Likes

Reserved for nominations and stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nikoru This could also be the place we discuss a possible quick English-language horror book reading, if you have any recommendations.

2 Likes

Heard this is supposed to be good, even though I have 0 idea what it’s about. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh I’ve always wanted to read this too but never got around to it yet!

4 Likes

It’s on my to-read list! If I had any kind of free time, I’d start it right now, but alas…
I’ve read another book by this author, and I liked it, but it was more mystery than horror once again.

4 Likes

@omk3 Would you like me to list リング under this book club on the index of book clubs thread, or keep it in the informal catagory?

2 Likes

Yes, I think リング definitely belongs here, even if retroactively. Thanks for taking care of the organizational stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If anyone feels like a lighter difficulty horror I recommend 図書室の怪談 悪魔の本 (ポプラキミノベル み 1-1) | L26

3 Likes

When I look for Japanese horror recommendations online, I often come across books by 貴志祐介, most often this one:

(sorry for the Bookwalker links, none of these are on Natively)

I find the premise of these two also intriguing:

2 Likes

Nice, thank you for the thread!

To repeat the question in the リング bookclub:

Would somebody be interested in reading one in English or maybe even in the Japanese translation, to see whether the language is a factor?
I found a recommendations list for good horror books, and some of the abstracts sounded quite nice, so maybe I will explore that list a bit more.

2 Likes

And as I said in the other thread, I’m in :slight_smile:
I’m more interested in reading something quickly in English, as I’m drowning in Japanese right now.

I don’t have much to recommend, but I recently read about this book and how it’s supposedly very scary:

(do these links also benefit Natively if we end up buying? :thinking:)

2 Likes

Yes, anything you buy on amazon, if you originate from natively, counts, as long as it’s an amazon country Brandon already has managed to get the affiliate programme running. :+1:t2:

8 Likes

Not sure where else to post this, so throwing this in here for anyone interested:

(Amazon here)

It’s described as a 大どんでん返しの最恐ホラー and it popped up as a top recommendation from the same booktuber that introduced me/us to Tuberose so really this could go either way. Might be amazing, might be terrible.

8 Likes

Hopefully it’s as rad as the cover is.

2 Likes

Having just trash talked Tuberose again in the other thread, I’m kinda less enthusiastic about that kind of recommendation :joy:
At the same time, every time I see a prize winner these days my brain goes “oooooh that could work for my bingo card” :melting_face: If it’s a debut work and we read as a book club, I’m sold.

Edit: the blurb says it is a debut work!! Finally found something to put in there.

6 Likes

does anyone know a good horror audiobook that’s available on audiobook.jp ?
I was trying to find by general recommendations for horror books but the only ones I found like that were audible :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

There are a few if you search for ホラー.

This I’ve seen recommended a lot in Horror lists, but there’s a lot of dialect apparently, and it maybe be more sad than scary judging from reviews:
audiobook link

This is supposed to be good, again from reviews I’m reading, I have no personal experience:
audiobook link

There’s also リング and らせん (its sequel I believe).

3 Likes

thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pray: :pray: :pray:

yea, horror is a bit on the fence in a lot of matters when it comes to books, a lot of it is either more on the mystery side of things or sad/tragedy
黒い家 is supposed to be on the sadder/tragedy note from what I’ve heard for example

ぼっけえ、きょうてえ looks perfect! thank you!!!

about the ring I noticed its there but I was hoping to read the book without audio so I’m kinda leaving it there for now :rofl:

3 Likes

Very curious what you think if you do get around to reading (or listening to) ぼっけえ、きょうてえ. I keep looking at it without being able to decide whether I’m interested.

3 Likes