Visual Novel Reading Club

Pm sent.

It’s decided we will start Higurashi in March.

Another thing shouldn’t we maybe change the club’s name to something else. The problem is people in Japan don’t even know what you mean when you talk about visual novels. In Japan they are just called adventure game or adv.

Should we change the club’s name?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I don’t care.
0 voters
Did you finish reading マルコと銀河竜 MARCO&GALAXY DRAGON?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I’m still reading.
  • I stopped reading.
0 voters
3 Likes

I don’t see the relevance, and think it would be way more confusing to use either of those terms here. Adventure Game has a broader/different meaning in English. The demographic here isn’t native Japanese speakers.

If you really want to change it, may just add / アドベンチャゲーム before Reading Club

5 Likes

I don’t understand… how is that a problem for the club’s name? What would changing the club’s name achieve?

1 Like

Most of the time when I see VNs mentioned in jp media they’re usually called ノベルゲー or エロゲ if its an 18+ title. Most of the Japanese people I’ve talked know exactly what I mean by visual novel too (although maybe they picked it up by being in eng communities). I agree with what everyone said above though, changing the name would probably confuse more people.

8 Likes

Are you guys done your current VN? I own it on Steam but don’t want to jump into the middle of it, haha

We are done with Marco&, 5 weeks into Christmas Tina, and haven’t started with Higurashi.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks!I’ll probs join in with Higurashi :)

3 Likes

Been meaning to check out Higurashi, can’t wait!!

4 Likes

Is there a start date for Higurashi?

1 Like

Is anyone playing higurashi on the switch? I can only seem to find physical copies when searching online, I can’t find it in the shop :smiling_face_with_tear: I’m not in Japan so maybe that’s the difference?

Maybe try switching your region to Japan in the settings? No guarantee it will let you buy it tho.

I’ll be playing off a physical copy (which was ordered from Japan). Suruga-ya has them pretty cheap: Nintendo Switch Software WHEN THEY CRY | Game | Suruga-ya.com and they do free shipping pretty often (a few weekends each month, it seems)

1 Like

Looks like you’ll have to buy it from the Japanese eShop (on a Japanese eShop account you set up):

Your switch can be logged into multiple accounts and easily switch through them, and you can get eShop cards to pay for the game from play-asia.com.

4 Likes

I’ve had luck buying digital downloads from Amazon, but you will still need to have a Japanese eShop account to redeem it, but you can play it on any other Switch account on the console.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! Also @Legato and @shitsurei !

I will have a go this week and see what I can manage, hope to join you all :blush:

3 Likes

Is the Switch version the same as the free Steam version?

Can take a quick look assuming you don’t get an answer before that, I’ll try getting back to you in the evening.

Mind you there’s always the 07th-mod thingy for PC:

https://07th-mod.com/

2 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate it!

• Switch is voiced
  • Switch has OP sequence that might contain spoilers.
  • Switch phrases are split more evenly, while on PC some parts takes the full screen. (The 07th-mod, 3rd picture, gives the option to change this)
  • Some parts on the PC are auto progressing, while in switch you can manually advance everything.
  • Sounds/Music is different
  • Character models/sprites are different, even when selecting NEW/OLD in settings.
  • Switch is 16:9.
  • BGs have been reworked from the photo stylized ones in PC

- Switch has a prologue that it’s not in the PC version (It starts from the 共通/Common Route instead)

All the points can be changed to match the Switch (and other consoles I assume) version with the 07th-mod, except for the last point

Personally I’ll probably play PC with the 07th-mod, if you have more questions do let me know.

I think I have the PS4 version too but my PS4 is in a box.

4 Likes

Damn this is really detailed, thanks g

I’m a bit short on cash so I’ll probs just get the mod you mentioned, as long as nothing too drastic is changed I can deal with older art or 4:3 ratios. Thanks!

2 Likes

The mod also switches to 16:9 is a pretty much identical copy to the console version.
As mentioned, the only thing I noticed being different, even with the mod applied, is the prologue.

3 Likes