Week 1 ๐Ÿช„ Die kleine Hexe ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™€๏ธ

Useful Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapters
1 May 20 1-3

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if itโ€™s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! Thatโ€™s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.

Polls

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • Iโ€™m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • Iโ€™m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
7 Likes

Read this weekโ€™s assignment yesterday :blush: Itโ€™s a really sweet story, just as I had remembered it!

(At least in my version) there is a small amount of tricky expressions, so if you (as a learner) feel stumped, please donโ€™t hesitate to ask here :+1:

2 Likes

The Japanese version of the book was a bit hard to find. Even on amazon jp I kept finding other language editions instead. The author was listed again separately under her name in katakanaโ€ฆ Anyway itโ€™s already on natively ๅฐใ•ใ„้ญ”ๅฅณ ๆ–ฐใ—ใ„ไธ–็•Œใฎ็ซฅ่ฉฑใ‚ทใƒชใƒผใ‚บ | L22??

Unfortunately doesnโ€™t look like there was ever a digital edition and I will not pay for shipping (even if I did, itโ€™ll take at least a month by experience to ship), Iโ€™ll stick to German for this one.

3 Likes

Yesterday I read chapter 2 (itโ€™s taking so long, because I am reading it to my 2 year old daughter, and after about half a chapter she wants to โ€œreadโ€ it to me instead :laughing: meaning she goes through the whole book looking at the pictures and tells me what she sees there :joy: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

While reading chapter 2, there was a word even I had to look up :flushed: (and I am a native speaker lol): Muhme. It seems to be an old expression and means aunt. To be more specific the sister of the mother. I never heard of this before :sweat_smile:

Edit:

Ah, and just in case this was no typo. Itโ€™s a male author :wink:

7 Likes

Good catch, I think I just defaulted to she there. Maybe because all my favorite childhood books in German are for some reason by women authors.

I read this weeks portion, itโ€™s pretty charming :slightly_smiling_face: Despite not reading it before, it feels pretty nostalgic. I definitely had other german witchy books.

4 Likes

Ah, thanks for reminding me! I knew that word but probably only from reading Die kleine Hexe! :rofl: I think it fell out of use long ago. And I had remembered the meaning incorrectly - I thought it denotes a godmother. The more you know :sweat_smile:

2 Likes