🏴‍☠ Week 11 | Flesh&Blood ⛵

Welcome to the reading club for Flesh&Blood!

91mGjo9-CUL.SL1500

Home Thread | week 10 | week 12

Reading Schedule

Week Date # of Pages Ends on Page Ends on % Ending Line
11 July 15 18 240 80% 「今回もすんでのところで逃げ果せましたしね」

Google vocab spreadsheet: ~ FLESH & BLOOD ~ Volume 1 ~ Vocab list - Google Sheets
Feel free to contribute!

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

It might just be me, but I wish we’d get more show and less introspective thinking about why people act the way they do.

Anyway, I’m glad something actually happened this week! We got to meet Drake, and q fine character he is. He seems like a fun older uncle type - on the surface. You don’t get to be a feared pirate by being a fun older uncle after all. :slight_smile:

I have to admit I’m surprised we got this far into the book without much actually happening. Lots of setting the scene, which is fine, I’m not bored of it yet.

5 Likes

It’s kind of crazy that most of this book has taken place in the course of one day, and that day isn’t even over yet. Unless I’m gravely mistaken, 海斗 fell unconscious at dusk on the day he crossed over, and everything since he woke up has been within the same day. It feels like both a lot has happened, and nothing has really happened at all in that time. I’m looking forward to 海斗 learning more about self-defense and becoming a pirate, but I’m also beginning to think that won’t happen in this book. :joy:

4 Likes

Huh… I thought they’d just skipped over sleeping and eating and stuff and like a week or so had passed… but you are likely right… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

The author gets a bit…wibbly-wobbly with time passing in this series. Taking this volume as an example, Kaito lands in (iirc) early spring or so in the 16th century, despite it being summer before he leaves. It’s evening when he leaves, but likely morning when he arrives (due to a section I’m not sure if the club has reached yet because I’m doing a terrible job of keeping up). He does pass out after Vicente finds him for an unknown length of time, but that probably wasn’t more than a couple of hours. Anyway, time does continue to pass on, but it’s fun to see just how shifted things get in just this first volume, haha.

5 Likes