Week 12 šŸ‘» šŸ° Medium šŸ”®

Welcome to the twelfth week of Medium 霊åŖ’ęŽ¢åµåŸŽå”šēæ”ēæ !

Home thread for announcements, wiki, etc

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Up to Approximate Pages Percent End page
Week 12 - Dec 25 English sentence containing ā€œScarfā€ 52 76% 420

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you donā€™t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If youā€™re not sure if itā€™s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoplesā€™ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you donā€™t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 12 of Medium?

• Yes, Iā€™m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • Iā€™m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • Iā€™m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

1 Like

When Iā€™d first started reading this book my mind was so fixed on the cover that I ignored all the clues showing Kougetsu is a guy, and I imagined him as a woman (the one on the cover) for a few pages until I finally realized my mistake. I talked about how biased my brain can be and that I have to be more careful about my judgments with my brother (who hasnā€™t read this book). I showed him the cover and he immediately said:" of course not! The story is not from her point of view, she is just the femme fatale of the story, this is one of those ā€œwritten by menā€ books, youā€™ll see!"
And I canā€™t believe heā€™s been almost right from the beginning!

Well I did not expect this twist at all. I havenā€™t still finished this weekā€™s pages, Iā€™m halfway through ā€œiced coffeeā€ and I have mixed feelings. Some of the clues like the water drops being ice were interesting. Specially since I remember some of you mentioning why it hasnā€™t evaporated if it is tears or whatever.
But some other parts were not convincing at all. Like guessing Yuikaā€™s job based on how she walks and talks. Or using hidden microphones and such tricks. If you take into account that I, as a reader donā€™t have access to such information (I canā€™t see how they are walking!) This twist is even less satisfactory.

Unless I have missed sth, because I have to admit I was busy and didnā€™t read this part properly, only skimmed through it.

8 Likes

I donā€™t think you missed anything. I also thought it was unsatisfying. And thereā€™s even more coming.

8 Likes

Iā€™m not completely done yet with this weeks reading (and will probably finish the rest of the book this week) but

I canā€™t really stay focused through her lengthy explanations. I was already bored by his deductions how the crimes happened, hers bore me the same or even more since I feel like itā€™s even more extensive. I think the twist was interesting, but I donā€™t like how it evolves. Iā€™d rather learn more about her and why she chose to deceive if sheā€™s rich and doesnā€™t need money and why she went with a serial killer to a remote place? And why did she even want to catch him.

I have to admit at this point I am only skimming so could be that this was established and I missed it.

8 Likes

I find it amusing that every single person in this club has the exact same reaction to this bookā€¦ ā€œthe twist was interesting, but thenā€¦ā€ :clown_face:

I really wonder why Japanese hype this book so much. Itā€™s not like twists have never been done before. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Right? Itā€™s not like ā€œunreliable narratorā€ is such a new thing. Thatā€™s we have the expression ā€œunreliable narratorā€ to begin with.

I didnā€™t like the twist to begin with. I really wanted a supernatural element in a mystery novel. It opens so much more fun options to think about.

So far, ē•°äø–ē•Œć®åęŽ¢åµ 1 首ćŖć—å§«ę®ŗäŗŗäŗ‹ä»¶ | L32 is the only book I have seen actually doing it :frowning_face:

7 Likes

I would blur the part about the unreliable narrator. :eyes:

tbf, a supernatural element would have made this book betterā€¦ but personally, I donā€™t like it in mystery books. (However, I am also not a fan of unreliable narrators. I think it makes for lazy writingā€¦ but with this book, anything was better than continuing along the lines we wereā€¦ :sweat_smile: )

5 Likes

But that was revealed last week, right?

5 Likes

oh, apologiesā€¦ I thought that was this week. :see_no_evil: nvm.

4 Likes

No worries! Iā€™m also not super clear about the schedule anymore, but I remembered making a cryptic comment about it last week :upside_down_face:

Maybe not for this thread, but do you have any ā€œrecommendationsā€ for some who like them?

4 Likes

I thought the author was a little heavy handed with the bits about ā€œa detective fiction author should totally write a story where there are two ways to get to the right answer and the in-book detective only uses one of them, that would be super clever!ā€.

I guess this book might appeal more to the kind of reader who likes the puzzle-based type of mystery? That sort of reader probably was looking more closely at the clues at the time and might also have found it fun to go back and recheck for ā€œhow could you figure out the answer if you completely ignore anything Hisui said?ā€, before reading on. Thatā€™s not me, though, and in Japanese itā€™s much more effort to flip back in the book and recheck anything, so I almost never do it.

I see that Hisui has got Kongetsu to untie her arms and is now ostentatiously gesturing with her hands all the time. I suspect this is misdirection and sheā€™s doing something else she doesnā€™t want Kongetsu to notice. Also probably buying time.

I wonder what form the sequel books take, given that for those readers will know from the start sheā€™s a fake medium?

I am almost certainly going to read next weekā€™s section this week sometime, so as to finish the book by the end of the year.

8 Likes

No, sorry. I havenā€™t read enough Japanese mystery. The only thing, that I have noticed is that Japanese Horror seems to be more a mystery/thriller kinda thing with a supernatural part. :thinking:

4 Likes

thatā€™s a good thought. As far as I have seen so far, Japanese generally seem to hold those types of mysteries in high esteem. Much more so than the current generation of Western readers seem to do. (But thatā€™s entirely anecdotal based on what I noticed becoming bestsellers here, i.e. lots of unreliable narrators, twists that you could not see coming because you didnā€™t get the information, etc.)

7 Likes

Yes, the English Wikipedia article on Japanese detective fiction summarises it as a ęœ¬ę ¼ę“¾ / ē¤¾ä¼šę“¾ / ę–°ęœ¬ę ¼ę“¾ progression, with some illustrative quotes from authors about what they think is important in detective fiction.

If you want a detective story of the ā€œsocially realisticā€ type, I liked ē¬‘ć†č­¦å®˜ | L30?? ā€“ police procedural set in a Hokkaido police department with a corruption problem.

8 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

@cat sounds like something you might enjoy as well.

4 Likes

Maybe éœ‡ćˆć‚‹å²© 霊éØ“ćŠåˆę•ē‰©ęŽ§ | L30?? , although that is also ā€œplus Edo-period settingā€, and since I read it five years ago I donā€™t remember how strong the mystery element of it is.

4 Likes

I do love books about police corruption :eyes:

7 Likes

Iā€™m curious about this as well. You could do a prequel-type book where sheā€™s working on making herself stand out in the field and eventually settles on ā€œmediumā€.

6 Likes

The č§£čŖ¬ at the end also talks about it, saying you canā€™t use the same trick twice. It ends by saying something like ā€œso what did the author do in the next volume? Youā€™ll have to read to find out, but I can tell you that if you loved this book youā€™ll love it tooā€.
Well, č§£čŖ¬ guy, you just activated my trap card; I didnā€™t like it at all.

8 Likes

Well, we read äøƒå›žę­»ć‚“恠ē”·, which had a supernatural elementā€¦ I wouldnā€™t recommend it, but itā€™s there.

魔ēœ¼ć®å‡½ć®ę®ŗäŗŗ has (self-proclaimed) fortune-tellers, but definitely read the first book in the series (屍äŗŗč˜ć®ę®ŗäŗŗ) first.

Havenā€™t read it yet but éŒ¬é‡‘č”“åø«ć®åƆ室 has FMA-style alchemy.

ę£®å·ę™ŗ喜ā€™s äø‰é€”川 series arenā€™t mysteries, but involve the characters using mystery-like logic to accomplish goals around supernatural elements. (For instance, the second book is a Snow White pastiche where the Evil Queen is trying to kill Snow White, but they each have a magic mirror that will answer any question.)

ē™½äŗ•ę™ŗ之ā€™s books often have a fantastic element or tweak the rules of reality a bit, but they are very ć‚Ø惭悰惭 (and 悰惭 in particular)

I havenā€™t read any of her books, but ę–¹äøˆč²“ꁵ has supernatural works in her books as well.

If video games on outdated consoles are okay, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is literally about witch trials.

6 Likes