Week 3 of 🤸 体育館の殺人 🔪 | Mystery Novel Book Club

Welcome to week 3 of 体育館の殺人!

As a reminder, we are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):
Week 1: Misc + 1.1, 1.2 (29 pages)
Week 2: 1.3, 1.4 (26 pages)
Week 3: 1.5, 1.6 (40 pages)
Week 4: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 (43 pages)
Week 5: 2.4, 2.5 (32 pages)
Week 6: 3.1, 3.2, 3.3(34 pages)
Week 7: 3.4, 3.5 (37 pages)
Week 8: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 挑戦 (56 pages)
Week 9+10 (EXTENDED WEEK): 5.1 - end (78 pages)

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 3?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll

0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

2 Likes

I started and finished this week’s reading today.
Having an audiobook to mark the reading pace makes it much easier to read fast for me.

4 Likes

Hey, me too! I tried the audiobook today and it really helps.

Not all that much progress in this section, I thought. But apparently we’re about to meet the school’s genius squatter in the next chapter.

5 Likes

It reminds me of books I read as a kid about how teachers were vampires who slept at the schools.

Also this is something I recall reading in a review, but, people were talking about there being “Otaku” references so I’m assuming that must be him because no one else thus far fits the bill. Curious if that will bring any vocab challenges as that’s not a sphere I’m personally familiar with.

3 Likes

I just finished this week’s reading too! Looks like we’re about to get into the meat of the story.

Seeing as the next chapter title is「オタク拝見」, I think that’s a good guess.

I really don’t have much else to add here… I feel like this week’s reading mostly just confirmed everything we already knew, though the bit about the リヤカー (a very good 和製英語) entering through the 下手 side door seems like it’ll be important somehow!

4 Likes

I’m also curious as to if there’s a reason why such specific timings on everyone’s movements have been spelled out for the reader. The murderer was working in a crazy limited timeframe for this for sure.

3 Likes

I’m enjoying this book so far! It’s a pretty smooth ride even though I’m being fairly lazy about looking up words.

My random speculation is that 針宮理恵子 (the blonde girl) and the majime student president are secretly dating and that’s the friend she was waiting for :grin:

In terms of the murderer, I really have no idea beyond the fact it can’t be 佐川奈緒 since she’s the only person it could be!. I agree on the timings - I wonder if the murderer had a much shorter time frame than expected, since Class D were let out early? :thinking:

6 Likes

Haha I love this. Opposites attract right?

4 Likes