Week 5 of 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 ✋ 🫧

木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 home thread

Welcome to week 5 of 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚!

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Starting Date Chapters Pages
Week 1 July 17 1 and 2 ~20
Week 2 July 24 3 and 4 ~22
Week 3 July 31 5 and 6 ~21
Week 4 August 7 7 and 8 ~22
Week 5 August 14 9 and 10 ~21
Week 6 August 21 11 and 12 ~22
Week 7 August 28 13 and 14 ~22
Week 8 September 4 15, 16, 17, 18 ~43
Week 9 September 11 19, 20 21, 22 ~45
Week 10 September 18 23, 24, 25, 26 ~42
Week 8 September 4 15, 16 and 17 ~32
Week 9 September 11 18, 19 and 20 ~33
Week 10 September 18 21,22 and 23 ~33
Week 11 September 25 24, 25 and 26 ~32

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 5?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

1 Like

I decided to get started on this week’s reading earlier in the week so I wouldn’t be in too much suspense seeing everyone’s comments. The reading went by in a flash!

It felt like there were less dramatic reveals compared to the previous few weeks’ readings, but somehow this was the first week that left me itching to keep reading. Maybe it’s because the previous weeks had bigger reveals at the end that made me want to stop and process and go back and reread instead of moving forward.

This book has the highest Natively level I’ve attempted, but so far it hasn’t been too bad. I think the biggest challenge hasn’t been the language itself, but the fact that it’s very important to catch the nuances and details of what is said. The discussion here has definitely been helpful for that!

Slightly off topic

I was listening to a Japanese podcast in the car the other day and was able to catch a reference to ユーミン because of this book! I didn’t know that the end song from the Ghibli movie 魔女の宅急便 was the same singer. 松任谷由実 - やさしさに包まれたなら (THE LAST WEDNESDAY TOUR 2006〜HERE COMES THE WAVE〜) - YouTube

5 Likes

I agree that I wanted tor read more after finishing this week’s section. While we got some important background on their relationships, there was no mention at all of the main mystery - if it is the main mystery- of why their father died.

So it seems that they were quite open about being siblings after all, and probably found out soon enough that their romantic relationship didn’t proceed beyond a few dates or so. I got the impression that they only realized they might have different feelings for each other when her boyfriend mentioned it. Did they act on these feelings? Or did they suppress them and maybe tried to seek out their father as one more way to cement their sibling status?

5 Likes
Also OT

She also sings Rouge no Dengon, which plays at the start when Kiki is riding her broom!

Well I’m halfway through this week’s reading already from my commute in, and it does look like our earlier suspicions are being clarified re the whole incest thing even if it’s super weird that Chiaki is also dating another guy at the same time

I need to reread the section about the fish, since I was being lazy about looking up the vocabulary but it’s clearly a key image!

5 Likes

… Oh wow. I can’t believe I missed that title drop. :man_facepalming:

I’m caught up! Also too tired to think right now, which is a shame. Hope this is sensible. There’s some mentions of the story telling in Eugenia, so depending on how little you want to know about your future books… Possibly spoiler-ish.

I’m really enjoying the book so far. Similar to Eugenia in that you have to clue together your own story, sort of… but very different vibes and much easier to read. I think it really helps that we only have 2 narrators (so far), but also that it seems they’re both very straightforward… That is, were getting straight up thoughts this time rather than a narrator speaking to some figure behind us. This makes me think we may be able to trust it more… Not that that necessary makes them reliable narrators at all, of course! Their memories are fuzzy and they may be telling themselves lies, too.

4 Likes

I always look out for the title in a book, some authors make it super cheesy :sweat_smile:

Yes, you’re right that it feels a bit similar to Eugenia, I thought it was a precursor although from looking at her bibliography, it seems that Eugenia was published first… I am expecting a more clear cut solution but who knows?

4 Likes

I just barely made it in time this week, but I also read it in one shot while drinking my morning coffee :sweat_smile: Very breezy writing style with a lot of repetition this time around. Now I just need to catch up on 予言の島 which I’m definitely at least a week behind in :cold_sweat:

I find it interesting that at least so far it’s entirely emotional infidelity and nothing physical has happened and yet there appears to be immense guilt on the part of Aki. Correct me if I’m wrong but she didn’t grow up with siblings, right? Does no one around, including herself, consider that maybe she just doesn’t know what a sibling bond can feel like? My brother and I are best friends and will happily talk on the phone for hours and have “馬鹿話” watching TV, but it doesn’t feel like romance, it feels like family.

6 Likes