Home thread for 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 ✋ 🫧

Welcome to the home thread for 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 | L32 , the 5th pick of the Mystery Novel Book Club!

We will start reading on July 17.

The book is divided into 26 chapters of roughly equal length. The club voted for a reading pace of 2 chapters per week for the first half of the book, and then 3 chapters per week for the rest o f it. If we find this too fast or too slow while reading, we can always discuss reading pace again.

I only have the ebook, but I tried to set up my pages to as close to physical size as possible. If someone has the paperback and wants to provide actual page numbers, I’ll be happy to change the table.

Please note that the schedule changed based on this poll, and we’re taking 10 weeks instead of the planned 11. The old schedule is kept at the end of the table for historical reasons.

Week Starting Date Chapters Pages
Week 1 July 17 1 and 2 ~20
Week 2 July 24 3 and 4 ~22
Week 3 July 31 5 and 6 ~21
Week 4 August 7 7 and 8 ~22
Week 5 August 14 9 and 10 ~21
Week 6 August 21 11 and 12 ~22
Week 7 August 28 13 and 14 ~22
Week 8 September 4 15, 16, 17, 18 ~43
Week 9 September 11 19, 20 21, 22 ~45
Week 10 September 18 23, 24, 25, 26 ~42
Week 8 September 4 15, 16 and 17 ~32
Week 9 September 11 18, 19 and 20 ~33
Week 10 September 18 21,22 and 23 ~33
Week 11 September 25 24, 25 and 26 ~32

Will you be reading along when the club starts on July 17th?

• Yes
  • No, but I want to click a poll
  • I’ll read it but at my own pace
0 voters

Which version of the book will you be reading?

• Ebook
  • Physical copy
0 voters
4 Likes

Ahh I’m excited! Hopefully my copy shows up in time for week 1 :sweat_smile: I don’t know if you can fix this but the poll asks about starting April 24th? Bit of time travelling :grin:

3 Likes

Haha, I knew I had missed something! Thanks, fixed it.

3 Likes

I think I’ll jump on for my first book club! I’m not entirely sure if I’ll be able to keep up, though, so I tentatively put “read at my own pace.” We’ll see how it goes :blush:

5 Likes

I see we’ve got the author tagged in the thread now. :eyes: I definitely want to join, but I need to sit down and take a hard look at my book club schedules; I’d be reading this side-by-side with コップクラフト and 予言の島, and those are already kind of pushing things to the side. I’m hoping I can finangle it; it’ll likely come down to my work and how busy things get…

Question for @Megumin and @brandon, now that I’m looking at thread tags. Do you think we need the bookclub tag still, since there’s an entire subcategory?

Was also wondering your inspiration for the title emojis, @omk3.

3 Likes

If you would feel more comfortable with a different reading pace, feel free to say so. We can have a poll to decide on reading amount for each week - I just based the current schedule on the amount of pages we have been reading so far, but this doesn’t mean it can’t change.

I thought it might be a good idea. If there are any objections I can always remove it. I agree that the bookclub tag is probably redundant.

Haven’t you seen the cover?

3 Likes

Aaah. The hand made sense, but I didn’t initially see the bubbles on the cover.

Nah, it’s fine; the schedule doesn’t seem overly quick to me, it’s just that when I have three books all at a minimum of a reasonable 30 pages a week that I start to give pause. :sweat_smile: Not to worry; in my case this is a me problem. If anyone does want to suggest a ~20 page/week schedule, then I’d probably vote for it, but like I said, this is mostly due to my own book greed. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Sure, but if several people who are interested in the book have the same me problem, maybe it becomes a we problem and we adjust the schedule to accommodate everyone. Just saying it’s possible :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha, I like the way you think. Well, I’ll keep my eyes open in that case; speak up anyone if you’re running into the same issue of “stop voting on so many interesting books all at once”.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in a poll at least! Don’t want everyone to slow down on my account as I am just dipping my toes in a book club for the first time, but if enough people are interested…

4 Likes

I’m currently only reading 2 books with scheduled clubs but my work and personal life have reached peak levels of craziness lately so if people wanted to go slower I wouldn’t exactly object :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Let’s vote for reading cadence then!

How many pages would you prefer we read per week?

(the book is around 298 pages - but there’s a 解説 we can ignore, and each one of the 26 chapters is about 10-11 pages by my calculations)

• 1 chapter/week throughout ~10 pages/week, 26 weeks
  • 1 chapter/week, then 2 chapters/week halfway through the book ~10, then 20 pages/week, ~19 weeks
  • 2 chapters/week throught ~20 pages/week, 13 weeks
  • 2 chapters/week, then 3 chapters/week halfway through the book ~20, then 30 pages/week, ~11 weeks
  • 3 chapters/week throughout ~30 pages/week, 9 weeks (one week would need to be 2 chapters)
  • 3 chapters/week, then 4 chapters/week halfway through the book ~30, then 40 pages per week (8 weeks)
  • 4 chapters/week throughout ~40 pages/week (6-7 weeks, some weeks would need to be more or fewer chapters)
  • I have another idea (please elaborate)

0 voters

3 Likes

I didn’t vote for it (was trying to be realistic with myself), but if 3 chapters/week makes it I’ll do my best.

3 Likes

Wow things are getting active here haha

I liked the pace of the past book but could use more reading per day so I did the fastest two options

Suppose this means I should pick up more book clubs again

Edit: Is there the nomination post or somewhere else to check what options we have for getting the book?

4 Likes

You can always go to the Natively page to check. Looks like the typical physical or ebook, but no audiobook.

3 Likes

My preference is a slightly faster pace but since my copy is due to turn up between 24th July and 1st August that might be making a rod for my own back :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It looks like we’ll be doing 2 chapter a week at first, and switch to 3 chapters a week later on. I’ll keep the poll open for one more day (in case there are any Sunday voters), then I’ll update the schedule in the home post. If the book turns out to be a much easier, or a much harder read than expected, we can always re-discuss schedule after a couple of weeks.

6 Likes

Thanks to everyone who voted. The poll is now closed, and the schedule is updated in the hope post. Looking forward to starting in a week!

7 Likes

If anyone was planning on buying their copy from Bookwalker (and has a few other books on the wishlist to buy), they’re having a sale starting tomorrow with 50% coinback for purchases over 1,500円!

5 Likes

Week 1 posted a little early because I wasn’t sure I would be able to post it on the date. Officially, we start reading in two days!

4 Likes