Week 1 of 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 ✋ 🫧

木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 home thread

Welcome to week 1 of 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚!

Are you ready to stay in one empty room all night, trying to make the other party confess to murder?

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Starting Date Chapters Pages
Week 1 July 17 1 and 2 ~20
Week 2 July 24 3 and 4 ~22
Week 3 July 31 5 and 6 ~21
Week 4 August 7 7 and 8 ~22
Week 5 August 14 9 and 10 ~21
Week 6 August 21 11 and 12 ~22
Week 7 August 28 13 and 14 ~22
Week 8 September 4 15, 16, 17, 18 ~43
Week 9 September 11 19, 20 21, 22 ~45
Week 10 September 18 23, 24, 25, 26 ~42
Week 8 September 4 15, 16 and 17 ~32
Week 9 September 11 18, 19 and 20 ~33
Week 10 September 18 21,22 and 23 ~33
Week 11 September 25 24, 25 and 26 ~32

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 1?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

4 Likes

Am I ever!

I’ve read the first chapter, no comments as yet (we have a few days before Officially Open :tm: ) but I will say this reads very smoothly and maybe I’ll kick myself for saying this but 32 feels too high right now? :sweat_smile: But the last book by this author would jump around in difficulty each chapter so guess I’ll have to wait and see.

5 Likes

Hi! I started the book a few days ago and I’m now up to 25% (I like following the bookclub threads but can never keep up with the schedule…). For what it’s worth I had your same impression re: the difficulty and it’s been confirmed so far. I would put it at around 30, with not much (if any) specialized vocabulary.

4 Likes

So far it feels like a book I will enjoy reading. It’s still too early for theories, but I liked the way the chapters ended. The last sentences are 「彼女があの男を殺したのだと、彼女の口から、今夜中に。」 and 「私は穏やかな笑みを作り、自分を殺そうとしているかもしれない男を出迎える。」 respectively. On the surface it looks like both are in the same situation, but their perspectives differ. Can’t wait to find out more about the incident.

5 Likes

The race is on for my copy to arrive :sweat_smile: amazon is estimating between July 25th-August 2nd so I will be lurking on the discussion, not reading spoilers until it arrives :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Ooohhh this book is right up my alley right now! It feels really easy to read, and I was very surprised and happy to get a perspective switch between chapters. Fits the topic so well, I think. Also I love how she portrayed the situation they are in.

What confused me a little bit was the usage of彼 in chapter 2. At some point I thought it referred to the guy who was murdered, but then I realized it referred to her ex (?). Did it refer to him all the time or did it switch in between? :thinking:

4 Likes

I agree, the contrast between those two last sentences is so juicy!

1 Like

I believe 彼 consistently refers to the boyfriend, and あの男 is used for the man who was killed.

3 Likes

Thanks! In retrospect I thought so too. Guess I was just a bit confused by the mention of the new girlfriend as it came a bit out of the blue for me :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, I was a bit thrown off by that too, but the context of the rest of the chapter helped reinforce it.

Also I laughed at her describing the new girlfriend using… organic fruit?

Another thought from chapter 2

It seems to be at least hinted at that the boyfriend cheated? I was a bit confused about this sentence (page 32 on BookWalker, right at the end of chapter 2):

彼の上気した声が聞こえる。

It seems 上気 is an archaic spelling for 浮気, but there’s also 上気(じょうき)which means flushed or dizzy… I’m not sure which meaning is implied from the context, or if it’s meant to be ambiguous at this point, or if it’s a double meaning kind of thing.

4 Likes

Week 2 has started, but I realized I forgot to comment on this week.

It seems that two chapters per week was a good call, if the alternating viewpoints keep up. When we speed up halfway through the book, we might want to change the 3 chapters per week to 4 in order to keep the balance. Or not. Something to consider when the time comes.

I was unsure of the relationship between the two, thought they might even be siblings at first, or just roommates, but I believe it became clear they were in a relationship that sort of petered out? Probably not married. I read the first two chapters before the club started and I’m already hazy on the details.

It’s interesting that they both suspect each other of more or less the same thing. This would normally mean they’re both equally innocent, but I suspect the truth will turn out to be more complicated than that.

5 Likes

They were dating at the time of whatever incident happened, now he’s going to live with the girl he left her for is the gist I recall.

4 Likes