5fa56bde-2ab1-4292-bdf6-0f20019630bd

Schedule

Week Start Date Final line Percentage Characters
5 Jan 29 その慟哭だけが響いていた。 34 42.816

Home thread | week 4 | week 6

Jpdb deck for the book:

Korean vocabulary sheet:

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Character Name Pronunciations
Kanji Reading
衛青 えいせい
夏高峻 か•こうしゅん
柳寿雪 りゅう•じゅせつ
星星 シンシン
Are you joining us for week 5?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
0 voters
1 Like

So her unfinished business was meeting her lover, not having revenge. That’s nice (and convenient).

I’m a bit surprised that it took so long for 寿雪 to figure out who the kid was… there aren’t many kids in the 後宮.

4 Likes

The headings and the entries in the “Schedule” table in this thread don’t match up, by the way.

1 Like

Whoops, thank you; let me go fix that…

3 Likes

The lady’s maid didn’t figure it out either (and had even more time to do so) – she thought it might have been 寿雪 who the earring was given to.

1 Like

I forgot the details already, but I thought that the maid said she expected 寿雪 to be an ally, not the person receiving the earring. She knew a boy got it. Still, while there aren’t many kids around, I expect that there should be more than one, so the maid can’t easily figure it out.
But, anyway, 寿雪 had extra information: who she got the earring from. I can’t remember if it’s before or after he said some of his agent picked it up in the 後宮 :thinking: That would be a confounding factor.

The maid says on p83 その相手(i.e. the person the earring was given to)はきっと、娘娘のおやさしさをわかっているでしょう。[…] ですから、その耳飾りをお持ちになったあなたがその相手か、知り合いかと思ったのです。 And she says the princess said she gave the earring to a 泣いている子, which could be either a boy or a girl. So I don’t think the maid did know it was a boy.

In 寿雪’s defence, 高峻 told her he found the earring, not that he was given it (and indeed for the earring 寿雪 has at this point that’s true!), and there’s been a lot of time passed between this old event of the princess giving an earring away and 高峻 coming to her and asking who dropped it, so the more plausible guess is that there’s at least one intervening step between the two.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I misremembered that (it’s been a while already :sweat_smile:)

That, I disagree with. We have no reason to believe that he is telling the truth at that point (in fact I only believed it when the person who dropped it turned to be real), plus she knows he has an ulterior motive (much nicer than expected, but still).

1 Like