5fa56bde-2ab1-4292-bdf6-0f20019630bd

Schedule

Week Start Date Final line Percentage Characters
6 Feb 5 End of chapter 1 40 50591

Home thread | week 5 | week 7

Jpdb deck for the book:

Korean vocabulary sheet:

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Character Name Pronunciations
Kanji Reading
衛青 えいせい
夏高峻 か•こうしゅん
柳寿雪 りゅう•じゅせつ
星星 シンシン
Are you joining us for week 6?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
0 voters

This all wrapped up quicker than I was expecting – I thought the dowager duchess might be the antagonist across the whole book, but clearly not.

I’m enjoying the interactions between the two main characters.

3 Likes

Yeah, I did not expect that execution to happen so soon!

I thought the end of the chapter was really cute.

4 Likes

At the very least, this section explained why 寿雪 was attacked. It’s not that that part of the 後宮 is completely without rules, it’s “just” that the emperor let the info leak. So I guess that area is usually not as bad.

On the other hand, not a fan of the interactions at the end. It would have been different if she had been, say, 10 years older, but as it is, just no. Plus, 高順 just coming in there without permission is generally annoying to me.

5 Likes

Mmm. I tend to forget what age everybody is supposed to be when I’m reading…

1 Like

Do we know 高順’s age? I keep on having to lower his age in my head, wasn’t 郭皓 described as a young man and 高順 has to be younger than him?

1 Like

On p50 it says that 高峻 lost his position as crown prince aged 13 and only got reinstated aged 18. After that he needs to become emperor and he’s been emperor for at least a few years I think. So early twenties?

2 Likes
5 Likes

But isn’t it how it’s supposed to be? Not defending this, there were definitely other ways to portrait a similar scene… I’m just genuinely asking because I’ve never read any other 後宮 novels.
The only other 後宮 story I’m reading is 薬屋のひとりごと(the manga), read only 3 vols so far and one of the consorts is only 14!
So I had prepared myself to encounter such interactions and even worse. I was even happy it wrapped up quickly and 高順 actually slept :sweat_smile:
Thought this is how it is in stories like this, both age-wise and consent-wise. But you mean this is sth that happened only in 後宮の烏?
Just trying to learn what should I expect when picking up a book in future.

3 Likes

I’m in awe of the fact that 40% == End of Ch. 1

I almost feel like why even bother with the chapters at that point?

5 Likes

Uh, no? In any 後宮 stuff I have read, the emperor will have a schedule of who he is visiting when, and they would usually have the right to say no. In the case of 薬屋のひとりごと (don’t know about the manga, but in the LN; MAYBE SPOILER FOR YOU), the former emperor would just do whatever, and the mother of the current emperor had him when she was nine, but he is presented as a monster.

If you mean リーシュ, she is not sleeping with the emperor :sweat_smile: She is just there for political reasons. That being said, I don’t care much about the background, I care about what the author does with the main character.

He has no right to do anything with her, by the way. She isn’t one of his wives, she just has a status in the 後宮 for historical reasons. He was asking her to become a wife, but she refused.

I am saying that the author chose to make the character 16, but didn’t have to, yes.
Make her 20, and I would be okay with this part.

6 Likes

I think I’m going to choose to believe that they are both 18 from now on. Maybe 21 so I don’t have to worry about them drinking lol.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply, now I see how the system works! I was kinda clueless about it :sweat_smile:
Yup like I said there were other ways to write this relationship. It’s always baffling to me why authors choose a young age for a character when they can simply choose a higher number.(maybe to target the younger audience?)Most of the times even the character’s behavior, way of thinking, talking, etc matches with an older age, not the typical 15, 16 years we usually see, and as a result I continuously forget their age and believe they’re much older.

4 Likes

Okay, I am way behind but I finally started reading and… it’s more difficult than expected. Does it get easier as you get used to the writing? I find myself constantly having to look up stuff and I haven’t had that experience in a long time. :sob: :melting_face:

4 Likes

Is it your first 後宮-type book? If so, it takes some time to get used to the vocabulary (and setting) but then it does get easier, yes.

2 Likes

Yes. Have not had this type of setting in books yet. :sweat_smile:
ok… will take the snail path. :melting_face:
thanks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t say I’m too engaged with this book unfortunately… Due to various things happening I fell behind and just caught up a bunch this week. I think the vocabulary is not helping because it makes it way slower and harder to read!

Also I really disliked the end of this chapter. He sounded so creepy saying she looked like a goddess in the pool :nauseated_face: and just gives me the creeps with the whole sneaking into her bedroom at night thing. It got my hackles up and I really wanted her to forcibly boot him out lol

6 Likes