What are you watching today?

Half way through Steins Gate (S1 but plan to watch 0 after episode 23, so I am half way to being half way done). I love the voices of all the characters and while I only played up to the 2nd chapter of the VN, I still feel nostalgic listening to the sounds and characters. I do like the VNs art style WAY more, but the anime does an okay job.

2 Likes

After having actually seen the next episode yeah this is so true. I love how Yui’s lawyer is like “Are you cheating” and then she spends a bunch of time thinking about the time she stood up her husband for some random guy she just met only to say no, lol. Relatedly, do you have any idea what the できăȘい stuff at the end of ep 2 was supposed to mean? I feel like it was supposed to be vague because even Yui didn’t really get it at first but at the same time I feel like I’m missing something here.

2 Likes

I took it as a polite way of saying he can’t get it up but I think I’m only on episode 3? I’m forget, but not much farther in in any case

2 Likes

I considered that but I thought it was just me being dirty minded
 >.<
Explains why she said she would “cure” him before they started making out though.

2 Likes

Knee deep in Stein’s Gate. Stopped at episode 22, watched 23b, and starting Stein’s Gate 0. 2 episodes in, I understood most of what was happening but my brain was starting to trail off towards the end, but I get what’s happening still.

2 Likes

Have you seen (or read the VN of) Steins;Gate before? If you haven’t I wouldn’t really recommend this viewing approach.

How come? (They’ve both been on my “mildly interested, but probably too difficult” list for a while)

1 Like

(Minor spoilers) Steins;Gate is all about alternate timelines. Basically Steins;Gate 0 takes place in between the last two episodes of Steins;Gate, so some people like to stop before watching the last episode of Steins;Gate so they can watch Steins;Gate 0, then go back and watch the final episode of Steins;Gate afterward. But to me that would ruin the climax of the original series. It’s also not how it was intended to be experienced by the creators considering Steins;Gate 0 came out years after the original Steins;Gate. I’m not saying it’s a bad way to watch the series (though I haven’t tried watching it that way), just that I wouldn’t recommend it on first viewing.

2 Likes

Yes, I played Stein’s Gate before.

1 Like

Ahhh interesting. That makes sense and seems like sound advice. Will keep in mind!

Not quite the same, but
 reminds me of the Fate/Zero vs Fate/Stay Night UBW watch order debate. I watched it in the “wrong” order unknowingly (ie Zero first), and am actually glad I did.

1 Like

Fate is a series that people want to believe is consistent and has some true watch order but you’re better off just watching what you want and getting the picture later. Life is too short to be a Fate fan.

2 Likes

I’m a very big Fate fan, so I’ll have to disagree on the last part :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I started watching é›»æłąæ•™ćž« S1 | L30??. It’s honestly pretty bad so far but it’s like mindless content I guess. The only hard part is that the main character has a tendency to talk very fast sometimes. Also I just realised he has the same voice actor as Itoshiki Nozomu from Zetsubou Sensei. Kamiya Hiroshi is the best! :hearts: :hearts:

2 Likes

I’m also happy with a Fate/Zero first watch order. Especially since when I watched Fate, the alternative was Studio Deen Fate/Stay Night first, and I’m not sure I would have made it through that.

The Steins;Gate “chronological order” though I think is more of a rewatch thing. I’ve done it, and it is an interesting experience. Especially to explain the mindset of 0kabe sending the message at the end of the series, but it’s not a first time. That cliffhanger is not designed to fit a whole other anime in there, and honestly 0 assumes you know the endpoint anyway

Steins;Gate 0 Episode 8 still hits like a truck, even if you know there is a happy ever after coming though

I have the last scene of Steins;Gate 0 as a poster - it’s one of my favourite anime. But please, watch the original first.

Anyway, for myself I’ve been watching Cardcaptor Sakura slowly in JP dub at a 1 episode/day pace. It’s definitely better suited to my skill level than when I tried Log Horizon, as it was taking several passes and lookups to get much of anything (and e.g. Naotsugu’s conversation piece about open vs closed perverts is not exactly the most general purpose language to be worth spending that time learning :stuck_out_tongue: ), but I’d say I’m still getting about 50-60% of it. Still that does mean it’s a lot more manageable than the like 20-30% I was getting out of Log Horizon (especially since a lot of that 20% was imported gamer language anyway).

3 Likes

I also watched Fate/Zero first and I didn’t have an issue with that watch order. That said I’m not a huge fan of the Fate franchise. I thought Fate/Zero and UBW were both alright. Great action but incoherent plot. However, I hated the Heaven’s Feel movies.

How are you enjoying it content-wise so far? I’ve been thinking about watching it, but it’s pretty long for me at 70 episodes.

1 Like

So, I rewatched the series in English relatively recently which is part of the reason I picked it as one of the first shows to watch in Japanese for me. It saved me from having to understand everything to know what’s going on.

There is an overarching plot, but it moves at a glacial pace, so it’s probably best to treat it as an episodic challenge-of-the-week classical magical girl show. If that’s something you’d like, it’s a pretty well done example, and I enjoy it, but I may as well warn you if you’re worried about the episode count. That said, episode 46/the end of season 2 is a fine stopping point if you don’t want to watch it all.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s helpful. I do like magical girl series, but I’ve really only watched more serious shows (Madoka Magica, Magical Girl Raising Project) or ones with a sci-fi focus or some other “unusual” feature (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Symphogear, Princess Tutu). I’m not sure I’ve actually watched any that would be considered “traditional”. Though surely Cardcaptor Sakura has non-traditional aspects given it was made by CLAMP, right? My only experience with CLAMP is the anime adaption of Kobato, but that certainly felt non-traditional.

I heard that the anime has more filler (extra cards?) compared to the manga, so maybe if I have issues with the pacing of the anime I’d still enjoy the manga. Who knows.

1 Like

So by traditional, I really mean pre-Madoka, where so much of what has come since has been trying to deconstruct the genre and aimed at older audiences (though for something made for kids, in the 90s, the series is surprisingly progressive at times, speaking of the CLAMP influence).

Of the ones you’ve listed, Nanoha season 1 is the cloest - you can tell at points it was trying to be CCS before they found their footing and own identity.

Yeah, there’s a lot of episodes in the anime that are anime original, but I’m not sure filler is the best descriptor here. For the most part they fit pretty well and you’re not going to tell which are and which aren’t (apart from a few “why didn’t they use X card” moments because the episode is adapted from the manga but the previously captured card isn’t). And I think the anime-insert character actually adds quite a lot, so she’s second only to Dekomori really as far as how well integrated she is. (I think as of clear card she has made her way into the manga)

2 Likes

Watched episode 8 on the way to work today, it was so god damn hard fighting back the tears on the bus. OMG Talk about æ„ăšă‹ă—ă™ăŽă‚‹.

I’m an oddball who appreciates the DEEN version (still prefer ufotable adaptation overall tho), but I can definitely see that.

I also really disliked the Heaven’s Feel movies
 in part bc I’m a UBW fan, and HF is basically a complete rejection of UBW. As an aside, in the scene where Shirou turns his back on his ideals and goes after Sakura, Yuki Kajiura reprises the chorus from Believe (the first ED of Fate UBW, by her band Kalafina), in a very melancholic way
 Which is such a powerful touch.

HF arc works much better in the VN, bc it fills in a lot of (very messed up) background events and lore, in a way that adds depth. I still kinda hate it, but with more appreciation.

1 Like