"What should I read next?" Megathread

Alright 裏世界ピクニック it is then!

I’ll go through トゲトゲ lyrics on my own, and just ask questions if I run into any hard spots I guess.

Thx everyone who voted & gave input :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I decided to order some physical books since it was nearing my birthday, and then I bought some more, and then some more after that… I wasn’t expecting to end up with so many. I’ve decided to start working through them by relative difficulty, but I can’t pick which of these three to start with.

I ended up with the tankobon softcover version, which I wasn’t expecting but I am quite happy with as I paid bunkobon price. Needless to say it’s a lot larger than I was expecting, and it came with a bookmark ribbon bound in the spine.

I was surprised to see that I couldn’t find this lurking my usual places for 100% off e-books, and I’ve seen this author’s books around before, so I grabbed it on sale. Not to mention the cover itself is gorgeous.

same as above, and honestly I’m surprised I even found this online for sale. It’s got a silly premise and seems like one of the tsubasa series that’s aimed at older kids.

• また、同じ夢を見ていた。
  • つながりの蔵
  • オンライン!
0 voters
1 Like

wow, I’m kinda shocked by the results (I expected また、同じ夢を見ていた to come out on top)! オンライン! クリア不可能!? 悪魔のゲーム! | L22?? it is then.

5 Likes

If you want to feel fancy, the ABC Japanese-English dictionary / 漢和英大辭典 : エービーシー式 is the most beautiful dictionary I’ve seen.

9 Likes

That’s a beautiful old school kind of book…

Personally I own:

• Kodansha’s Furigana Japanese Dictionary
  • Kodansha’s Essential Kanji Dictionary
  • 全訳用例 漢和辞典 ビジュアル版

but it’s been decades since I actually used any of them in anger. In fact I can’t remember now why I have the 漢和辞典 at all…

3 Likes

Useful for finding corresponding pronunciations in 薬屋のひとりごと and other 高級/pseudo-China setting books? (I’m grasping at straws lol)

That does indeed look fancy, but I had JP-JP in mind. Something like the one @CatDQ mentions here looks appealing - but also I wonder how useful it will be for L30s material

Also found this thread in the meantime:

So I guess I’ll have to ponder it for a while

5 Likes

I have a feeling I either picked it up cheap in book off on a whim, or else a friend gave me it second hand at some point. I’m pretty sure I haven’t ever seriously used it to look anything up…

4 Likes

I forced myself to go monolingual too early bc all the language bros told me to. I’ve reverted, but back when I was I got all the epwing files that I could find and definitely had an opinion about which dictionaries were the easy ones to understand. I don’t remember what they were, but that would maybe be my recommendation if you’re unsure of which mono dictionary you want.

I also have a kids dictionary I bought at bookoff that I personally don’t find very useful and I’d be happy to mail it to you if you’d want it. The definitions either use a lot of words I don’t know or aren’t all that descriptive because they’re stuck with child vocabulary. Which is not a glowing review on purpose.

8 Likes

I’d be happy to take it! If nothing else, it would give me a sense of what I do/don’t like in a dictionary. Will PM with my address

1 Like

I have a few dictionaries because I went to uni long before tablets and smartphones. The small one on the bottom is the only one I actually used regularly. :rofl:

The children dic is a decent tool for getting used to monolingual. If you can’t understand those explanations, you are not ready for monolingual, imo.

9 Likes