ハサミ男 Informal Reading Club ✂ (Profoundly Weird Book Club, Mystery)

Welcome to the ハサミ男 Informal Reading Club :scissors:

You can join the (WaniKani) Profoundly Weird Book Club here
or see the list for the “Profoundly Weird” Book Club here

ハサミ男 | L35 | Natively (learnnatively.com)

Japanese blurb

第美少女を殺害し、研ぎあげたハサミを首に突き立てる猟奇殺人犯「ハサミ男」。3番目の犠牲者を決め、綿密に調べ上げるが、自分の手口を真似て殺された彼女の死体を発見する羽目に陥る。自分以外の人間に、何故彼女を殺す必要があるのか。「ハサミ男」は調査をはじめる。精緻にして大胆な長編ミステリの傑作! 【2005年公開映画「ハサミ男」原作】(講談社文庫)

Automatically translated English blurb

The Scissors Man, a bizarre killer who murders a beautiful girl and sticks sharpened scissors to her neck, decides on a third victim and conducts a meticulous investigation, only to discover her dead body, murdered in a manner that mimics his own. Why would someone other than himself need to kill her? The Scissors Man begins his investigation. The “Scissors Man” begins his investigation. This is a masterpiece of elaborate and daring full-length mystery! It was made into a movie, “The Scissors Man”, released in 2005.

(Translated with DeepL)

This is the debut work of 殊能 将之. It won the 13th Mephisto Award in 1999, and was made into a movie in 2005. The author, born in Fukui, died in 2013 at the young age of 49 years old.

We will be reading this informally, which means you can join any time and read at whatever pace suits you. When you comment, make sure to use spoilers and to always mention up to where you’ve read, so that other readers know when it’s safe to open spoilers.

Discussion Rules

• Please mention which chapter your comment is meant for.
  • Please use spoiler tags liberally, both for referring to the book’s contents and for speculation of your own. Label your spoilers accordingly so that people know when it’s safe to view them.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read ハサミ男 with the book club?

• Yes
  • Not sure
  • No
0 voters
5 Likes

My brain and heart say yes, but my current track record with this year’s bookclubs is not great. :melting_face:

6 Likes

This is an informal club. You can read whenever and however fast or slow you like. No penalties if you fall behind or quit, if you finish before anyone else even starts, or several months or years later. Listen to your heart and brain and join us! :grin: :heart: :brain:

5 Likes

When do we officially start, btw? :grin:

2 Likes

No idea. Tomorrow? In a week? I’m open.

3 Likes

I’m almost done with ぼぎわんが来る, but I want to wrap up some other books…perhaps next Monday? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Finally someone who understands me.

5 Likes

Sounds good. And I should probably try and finish 砂の女 in the meantime (you know, instead of impulsively starting and finishing something easier as I may tend to do lately).

3 Likes

We could say we will start as soon as you’re done with 砂の女… :rofl:

2 Likes

:scream: That’s just mean! :pouting_cat:

But I will, I promise! :eyes:

2 Likes

It’s just like a carrot to tempt you to finish faster :carrot: :rofl: Good luck, though! It’s certainly a hard and slow read

3 Likes

where’s my ability to :100: react to this instead of like

5 Likes

I enjoyed the hell out of this book so I’ll be reading comments with :popcorn: whenever they start rolling it :pray:

4 Likes

This bc tends to hover right above my level so I usually don’t think about joining, but I have to say a title like ハサミ男 really got me interested …

6 Likes

:handshake:

I am so behind on all other bookclubs, though, I might as well just skip them for now and join this one instead. :shushing_face: don’t tell anyone. :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

I personally think this book is best read fast so jump right in!

:bangbang: peer pressure intensifies :bangbang:

3 Likes

Wait, I’ve started so many informal book clubs all at once that I’m realizing I have no idea any more when anything is supposed to start.

Is this Monday March 11, or March 18?

1 Like

I thought the 11th if it’s alright with everyone?

1 Like

As long as I don’t absolutely have to have finished 砂の女 by then :joy:

3 Likes

In that case, the 18th is fine too :wink:

3 Likes