🥘 Home Thread for 僕らの食卓 👨‍👨‍👦

Oh good point. It looks the same as what 穣 was wearing the whole time so I didn’t even think of that :rofl:

2 Likes

Ch 3 cover: they are eating papico ice cream! (The bottle shaped thing, comes in pairs; 豊 is holding both in the top panel). The coffee flavor is one of my favorites.

Ha! ニトリ became リトニ. The logo/font is the same too. That’s a bit on the nose.

P81 ebook: どうせ脱ぐんだから indeed :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Some random thoughts! :smile:

Week 1

  • Tane is so cute!!! :heart_eyes:
  • I like that he’s carrying a leek on the cover, because why not? :leafy_green:
  • And him happily munching away on a rice ball the size of his head… :joy:

Minoru: Here’s our address, come visit us
Yutaka: -visits-
Minoru: -shocked Pikachu face-
:rofl:

  • I hope we get to see some pottery-making! :star_struck:
  • Tane being dressed and ready super early for Yutaka’s visit! Adorable!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • The way Yutaka’s brother treats him seems so harsh, especially since we’ve seen how close Minoru & Tane are… ㅠㅠ

Week 2

  • Yutaka hugging Tane, who’s been waiting for him to arrive :sob: Look at Tane’s little face… :heart:
  • Minoru being a bit annoyed that Tane butts in to invite Yutaka to the party :smirk:
  • At this point, I’m not even sure what Yutaka/Yukata’s real name is, Tane and his dad both call him Yukata?! :rofl:
  • It’s so sweet how teary Yutaka gets when Minoru comes over to look after him when he’s sick :smiling_face_with_tear:
  • It’s lovely seeing Yutaka happy and relaxed like this… cute :smiling_face:
  • Give daddy a kiss, Minoru! :kissing_closed_eyes:
  • Oh, here’s Yutaka’s sad backstory… The childish drawings make it even more tragic… :sob:
  • First kiss in the snow! :snowflake: :kissing: I wasn’t expecting that so soon.
  • And now Minoru & Tane’s sad past??? :sob: :sob: :sob:
  • Wait, they’ve met before?! :astonished:
  • A love confession… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
3 Likes

Oh, I wonder how that works in Korean… It’s pretty straightforward in Japanese, since we have the kanji 豊 for Yutaka, and katakana hiragana for Yukata (would have been funnier, but harder to understand if it was written 浴衣👘, though).

3 Likes

I’m to the point where I see 豊 and then I freeze because my brain can’t decide if I should say Yutaka or Yukata because 種 has corrupted me. (Even though, yes, it’s always ゆかた in kana. My brain doesn’t care.)

Funnily enough 豊か came up in another book I was reading and I was totally fine there :joy:

4 Likes

You made me remember Tane always speak in hiragana, so it couldn’t possibly be katakana (and checking, it is indeed hiragana)

Well, you get the position of the か for free :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Same here. He’s a menace. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

유타카
유카타

The syllable blocks are switched! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No hanja for you :triumph:


P83 ebook (oversharing a bit): people assuming the gender of the person you are dating is not only relatable, it’s one of the major features of comp het that I rely on to navigate social interactions without outing myself :sweat_smile: I could misgender them to fit the narrative, but I hate that. Also, it makes me feel like a word wizard of Oz (‘cause it’s “please ignore the man behind the curtain” level of stealth). The worst example that comes to mind was when I used “person” as a placeholder in French (where we don’t have the gender neutral they) so that I could just use “she” (the word “person” is feminine) repeatedly for the rest of the conversation and the guy I was talking to still gendered the “person” in a way that fits heteronormativity :joy: (alcohol was had, but still, I can’t believe that worked so maybe it didn’t? But then why keep the pronouns that way?)

P89 ebook/85: got sucker punched in the feels.

P98 ebook/ 94: he is at home with his tie again! Not even tucking it(?) away while eating.

End of section: honestly, I can’t stand that dude, anyway. I can’t even bother trying to remember his name, but he seems like a horribly manipulative pos. I don’t know if we’ll get immediately 穣 to tell us about him, but I won’t be sad if we don’t. Between that guy and the former girlfriend from last book, 穣 hasn’t been gifted with great relationships (until now that is :triumph:)

2 Likes

Nice, that’s pretty sneaky!

2 Likes

okawari week 1:

Uggggh, a cliffhanger!
Well now I’m glad I stretched out my reading to most of the week so I don’t have to wait as long.

I knew I didn’t like 元カレ before we even found out who he was.

Also, he weirdly looks like one of the characters from 消えた初恋 who isn’t nearly as bad but is still kinda an ass. :joy:


I really like just how real their relationship feels. Most of the time there’s a lot of small things that maybe cause drama for 10 minutes or something, occasionally punctuated with bigger things.

And the 梅 from the mom :sob::sob::sob:
I love this manga so much :heart:

I wonder about this a lot for gendered languages. I mean, it’s not like English speakers like when someone asks to be called they (and tbf it took a little bit of getting used to, grammatically, the first time someone I interacted with on a regular basis started to use they/them). But other than a few gendered nouns (that English is pretty quickly shedding), there isn’t a lot of grammatical legwork that you have to do. But how can you “they” in a language that requires grammatical gender?

@Naphthalene, you reminded me that there are all kinds of linguistic tricks and I’m sure that languages will evolve just fine. I mean, in all honesty “they” is a hack based on the fact that English doesn’t assume gender of an unknown person. We even have a grammatically correct gender neutral word (it), but only give that to things that we don’t extend personhood to, so yeah, I get that no one wants that as their gender :joy:

3 Likes

It’s also pretty unnatural. I kept fearing he would get confused and ask for clarifications. But nah.

In French, when you know the gender of the person you are talking about, you would either use “he” as default, “he or she”, or (in writing) use gender inclusive writing (basically use a dash or middle dot to add the feminine ending at the end of masculine constructs). HOWEVER, in my specific use case, how could I not know the gender of the person I was dating. Using “he” would be interpreted as the person being explicitly masculine, he or she would be extremely suspicious, and writing tricks do not work out loud.
The singular they in English has been sooo helpful :joy:

When it comes to non-binary people, in French we have neopronouns like iel. That one specifically is getting more and more common, so we can hope that it becomes mainstream at some point.

3 Likes

Pronouns make sense to me, but what do you do about adjective conjugations, for example?

2 Likes

The most common usage I know is to use the “masculine” forms with it. Again, grammatically, those are supposedly gender neutral, but that neutrality is typically only used in the plural when referring to both men and women at the same time (or when the gender of the person is not known, but then it makes it sound like you are assuming the person is male, which is less than ideal; hopefully the use of neutral pronouns will also help with that).

2 Likes

That makes sense and also I suppose what I would have guessed.
I think there’s some small part of me that learned that all women are elles and all men are ils and men and women are ils in French class at the age of 12 and have never forgiven gendered languages since :joy:

2 Likes

Week 3

  • Minoru looks so… downcast when he’s confessing, like he’s sorry towards Yutaka for liking him ㅠㅠ
  • Tane comforting him and telling him to apologise if they fought is so adorable
  • I like that Yutaka doesn’t have a long-drawn-out internal struggle over his feelings towards Minoru, and them becoming a couple is a very understated scene in the playground
  • Tane and his dad are so cute! :laughing:

  • Tane is so happy Yukata Yutaka is staying over :blush:
  • The bonding moment between Yutaka and the dad is so touching… I was slightly apprehensive because in a lot of BL this would be the moment the parent expresses the hope that their children will get married and have children of their own in the future, unwittingly hurting the MC which sends them into a spiral of self-doubt. Thankfully that didn’t happen, but Yutaka ends up crying from being so touched! :heart:
  • I love Tane’s cute little face popping up in the corner of panels :joy:
    download (2)
  • Grown-up Tane!!! :heart_eyes:
  • ADORABLE!!!

The second volume hasn’t been translated into Korean yet, so I might wait for that or read it in Japanese, I’m not sure… :thinking:

3 Likes

That made me wonder how long ago it was published and… April of this year?? Okay, fine, I will accept that it doesn’t have official translations yet (nor a next volume… although I’d appreciate if it doesn’t take another 7 years)

3 Likes

Looks like we’re on the cutting edge of 種. :thinking:

1 Like

Week five!

3 Likes

P115 ebook: Oh! Angry 豊! (Also rofl at the jam jam, the jammed jam jam even)

P117 ebook: 穣 with his hair up! Cute! Also title drop on the page (including おかわり)

P120 ebook: もち膨らんでる revenge.

P122 ebook: 種先生 to the rescue (unilaterally deciding that 穣 is in the wrong)

P130 ebook: “あの子が幸せそうだと私も幸せなの” :sob:

2 Likes