🥘 Home Thread for 僕らの食卓 👨‍👨‍👦

okawari ch4

I love ばーちゃん :heart:
And I love the boys looking and the photo of 穣 from when he was really unhappy and telling past him that everything will be ok :sob:
And おたん telling 種 that he has to give people he loves time to be with people they love :heart::heart::heart:

Incidentally I started watching the drama over the weekend. The casting for 豊 is perfect. With 穣 they did a good job with the look, but I was expecting him to be… cooler? The actor just doesn’t have the right vibe for me. They also aged 種 up maybe a year or so, which I get. The kid is also pretty good and not annoying (which I feared) although I think part of that is that the manga really captures how annoying a toddler can me :sweat_smile:. Anyway, it’s a decent adaptation so far. Just 穣 is not nearly cool enough.

5 Likes

おとん, as in おとうさん :eyes:. I also loved the lightbulb above 種’s head when he connects the dots :joy: 穣’s family is… honestly unbelievably great, but I’m not complaining. That’s what fiction is for.

4 Likes

Ack. I’m terrible at 12 key (but am trying to use it over querty). I’m faster at it now, but a lot of the time I don’t flick hard enough so I get あ段 a lot :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ch5:
man, that was rough to see the hands of the mother. That did not look like a healthy weight for a pregnant woman indeed…
Ex-boyfriend was not as bad as I thought he would be, but I still don’t like him.

Ch6: I can’t believe I am done with this week already :sob: I loved 種’s love rivalry declaration (although I’m a bit worried considering that the flash forward from last volume shows he will get serious about it). Looking forward to 豊 finally interacting more with his family.

2 Likes

Second page of chapter 4: wow, never would’ve guessed パクチー; according to my J->E dictionary it comes from Thai.

3 Likes

Ch5

I’m not entirely sure why 穣 was expecting 豊 to hate him… just that he slept with 元カレ before? He said that 豊 was the first person he had been with seriously, which isn’t untrue, but I guess you could think that he was implying 豊 was the first person he slept with?
But then when they slept together the first time I got the impression that 豊 didn’t think it was 穣’s first time (but it was his? Or maybe just his first time with a guy… :woman_shrugging:t4:).

Anyway this whole chapter was really sad, but because it was lampshaded as the story that he was telling 豊 it made it a lot better. But omg on pg 148 where they have the panels of 母さん being more and more sick and then just not there :sob::sob::sob:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what 豊 was saying (so he expected 穣 to have experience). I thought the problem was 穣 admitting to cheating on his then girlfriend. But if she is indeed the same who just walked away because he was focusing too much on tiny 種, then I’m all out of f*cks to give anyway :person_shrugging:)

2 Likes

Yeah maybe that? But still it’s bad, but they were also just in highschool, and his mom was dying and like, it’s maybe a shitty thing to have done but it’s not something that would fundamentally change someone’s view of him. Especially since he clearly knows that it was bad.

2 Likes

Chapter 4: Oh my gooood. How do they all continue to be so cute and precious? :face_holding_back_tears: 豊 telling photo 穣 it’s gonna be all right, 種 becoming more powerful with his newfound 好き knowledge…

Exactly. This could be more “realistic”, but it would be a worse work for it imo.

Chapter 5, p146: 穣 says 生きててくれれば here; how does that work?

Chapter 5: I’m not usually one for flashback episodes in the middle of all the action, but this was a good one. And wow, I hate 穣’s friend even more now. :upside_down_face: Felt like he was more taking advantage of 穣 in a tough time rather than helping him, and then to top it off wouldn’t even help him with the piercing on the day of this mother’s funeral. :upside_down_face:

Chapter 6: Had to laugh at the “Jordan” by 豊’s face on 172. Took me a second to realize what it was supposed to mean. :rofl: And I have to wonder if 穣’s SO WHAT shirt on p178 when 種 was asking if he liked 豊 was intentional or not. Certainly a great shirt for that occasion, haha. And 豊 taking off his tie to give 穣 and 穣 thinking things were going to happen and panicking. :rofl:

I don’t think I’ve said as much before, but I really appreciate おとん in this series. He’s a good dad, trying his best.

1 Like

生きている to be alive/to keep on living + くれる do the favor + conditional form (-えば, so る → れば) = if you do me the favor of keeping on living (it doesn’t matter [to make me worry even though I’m preparing for entrance exams])

1 Like

Oof; thank you for the breakdown!

1 Like

Chapter 6
*sigh* only one more week to go.

I rescind a teeny bit of my previous love for ばーちゃん for making 種 change from ゆかた to ゆたか :joy:

I think my favorite part of this chapter was the very last panel where after 穣 had said that he wanted 豊 to kiss him it definitely looks like 豊 had initiated that last kiss.

2 Likes

Final week, everyone! It’s been lovely reading with you all~

3 Likes

Until the next volume comes out in another 7 years

2 Likes

Don’t jinx it now. D:

2 Likes

I tried to google it and only found those automated websites that just average publication time

:rofl:

P202-204 (+4 for ebook) someone’s got the hornies. Also さしすせそ :joy:

P207 (211 ebook): I love confused 豊

P219/ebook 223: oh god, slaps on sunburns looks so painful. He looks fine but still. Also adorable victory dance (?)

Forgot to check the page: that fricking dude. I hate him so much.

Ebook 251: are birthday dreams a thing?

Edit wait that was the last page?? Noooo

2 Likes

The drama is good! I got the first volume after having seen the drama years ago. The child actor suits Tane’s personality so well.

My (late) week 5 thoughts:

The heaviness of this volume has caught me off guard. A lot more time is dedicated to detailing Minoru’s past tragedy than was spent on Yutaka’s in volume 1. Like shitsurei said, the part when the mom is suddenly no longer there. Oof.

Additionally, I’m enjoying how much more physical affection they get to show now that their relationship has developed.

3 Likes

:sob::sob::sob:

Done…I loved it so much. I need more (in less than 7 years!).

219 穣 remembering the night before and then shadow boxing/being giddy while he’s doing laundry was probably the cutest he’s been in the whole series. I just love how much they both love each other.
229 Dapper 豊 is adorable :heart:
238 豊 leaving, coming back, asking for the cigarette and then blowing smoke on 元カレ was *chef’s kiss*. Fuck. That. Guy.

3 Likes

We need to know the content of the letter. I hope it’s about the brother trying to reconnect with 豊… Or not, you know, then he is just set free and can move on with his life.

3 Likes
tangential tangents

Meanwhile in German ‘he’ is “er” and ‘she’ is “sie”… And ‘they’ is also “sie”. As is the formal ‘you’. :joy:

And then there’s the other cases but let’s not talk about those right now.

3 Likes