神去なあなあ日常 Informal Reading Club 🌳

Welcome to the 神去なあなあ日常 Informal Reading Club :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree:

神去なあなあ home thread

神去なあなあ日常 | L33

This is a a standalone book, but there’s also a sequel: 神去なあなあ夜話 | L33
Click here to go to the 神去なあなあ夜話 Informal Reading Club’s page.

Japanese blurb

平野勇気、18歳。高校を出たらフリーターで食っていこうと思っていた。でもなぜか三重県の林業の現場に放り込まれてしまいーー。携帯も通じない山奥!ダニやヒルの襲来!勇気は無事、一人前になれるのか……? 四季のうつくしい神去村で、勇気と個性的な村人たちが繰り広げる騒動記!林業エンタテインメント小説の傑作。

English blurb

Yuki Hirano is just out of high school when his parents enroll him, against his will, in a forestry training program in the remote mountain village of Kamusari. No phone, no internet, no shopping. Just a small, inviting community where the most common expression is “take it easy.”

This is an informal book club, which means you can join any time and read at whatever pace suits you. When you comment, make sure to use spoilers and to always mention up to where you’ve read (and in which book), so that other readers know when it’s safe to open spoilers.

Discussion Rules

• Please mention which chapter your comment is meant for.
  • Please use spoiler tags liberally, both for referring to the book’s contents and for speculation of your own. Label your spoilers accordingly so that people know when it’s safe to view them.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read 神去なあなあ日常 with the book club?

• Yes
  • Not sure
  • No
  • I’ve already read it but I’ll join the discussion
0 voters
2 Likes

Since I’ve already read the book, it’s up to you guys to decide a starting date if you wish. Or you can just comment here whenever you get around to reading it.

Just fiy, we’re planning to start reading the sequel in the beginning of April, so you might (or might not) want to read this before then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need to sit down and plot out all my myriad clubs atm. :thinking: Does anyone have any thoughts on the audiobook for this book? Is it well-made? I’m thinking of listening and reading along.

2 Likes

I really liked the audiobook. The narrator is very pleasant to listen to. While I generally dislike background sound effects and music, these were very well made. Possibly because it’s set in nature, it was all very soothing. I recommend it.

3 Likes

Should @omk3 be fine with this as well, I would not mind waiting a bit longer if anyone (@eefara?) wants to catch up first and then read the sequel along with us. I meant to read it next, but I could as well read one book or so in-between if this makes a difference. :wink:
Otherwise, I will be happy to start as planned in the beginning of April and are already looking forward to it! :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Fine by me too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am also going to try and finish up ひげを剃る and start 神去なあなあ日常 to catch up, so a push back would help me too.

I also have a trip at the beginning of April so another reason a push back would be great :innocent:

3 Likes

I posted a poll in the home thread, so now everyone can vote for your preferred starting date (for the sequel). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Started reading the book today! The audiobook is really good so far; I’m a little sad, because if I do read the next book, I won’t have access to that audiobook. :face_holding_back_tears:

I think what I want to do for now is this: I’ll read and try to finish the book before the club for the next one starts, but I don’t know yet if I want to read the sequel; just depends on how much I like this one.

So I’ve gotten through the first 10% of the book, ending at the paragraph break just after 勇気 falls down and gets covered in snow while trying to shake snow from trees. I’m enjoying it so far; that small town feel is definitely coming through. I’m really sympathizing with 勇気 here; it’s really tough to one day just be packed up and sent off to god knows where. Would someone be able to clarify why he was sent? Did he/his parents apply for some kind of government work program?

On the other hand I can see how this is likely going to be a really formative experience for him; while I wouldn’t exactly be pleased to suddenly be told I’m going to become a lumberjack, I bet the scenery out there is incredibly beautiful.

New pronoun learned: わて. Does Japanese just give up at a certain point for assigning kanji to something? It’s 私 for this one apparently; there’s like four or five pronouns I already know attached to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yes. If I remember correctly, he was just working a part time job, showing no ambition whatsoever, and having no direction in his life at all. There was this government work program to send young people to remote places with lack of workers, and his parents applied to it on his behalf. Certainly not a fun surprise at all!

3 Likes

Dad wasn’t even there when he got sent, either. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The whole setup in the beginning felt a bit farfetched to me, to be honest. But how else could he land completely unexpectedly in that remote village against his will? We need some suspension of disbelief here. At least I hope that it’s not something families would normally do. :joy:

3 Likes

You know what? I think I’ll join in for this since the audiobook seems like a nice listen! :raising_hand_woman:t2:

4 Likes

Yes, same here. It certainly felt far-fetched. But at the same time, it was such a unique setting. And the more I was drawn into the story, the less I cared.

And the wonderfully special atmosphere in that remote village made me buy all that followed in the latter part of the book. :grin:

3 Likes

I started and already listened up to 25% thanks to the intense cleaning session I did this morning (anyone else like audiobooks while cleaning?)!

So far this is a nice and relaxing story. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s also interesting learning facts about the lumber industry and forestry! I agree that the beginning was pretty far-fetched, but I’ll forgive it. I don’t necessarily think this is the type of book that requires absolute realism.

Spoiler up to 25% ish - It was nice that Yuki was praised by his new colleagues, but then he tried to run away right away! :laughing: The ensuing car chase was a bit silly but entertaining.

I especially like Yoki and his voice actor. I am always a sucker for the rough and tumble チンピラ vibes type characters. :rofl:The entire story reminds me a bit of an anime so far? I can see it being animated into a slice of life type story!

The writing and characters feel similar to 船を編む, the only other 三浦しをん book I’ve read. I’m enjoying this a lot more so far, though.

5 Likes

so many bookclubs I want to join… so little time… :face_holding_back_tears: I will read it someday… :melting_face:

6 Likes
Read to pg 24 this evening. I’m quite enjoying it so far.

住人は本当は、しじゅう神去弁でしゃべっているのだと思って読んでほしい。

I actually laughed out loud at that part. I’m glad we do still get some dialect though despite him telling us to imagine it. I love dialects.

Personally, I found how quickly Yuuki was informed of and shipped off on his move to be hilarious.

あたたかくなったら、このあたりに住むひとは花粉症で大変だろう。

Yeah, that’s a big reason why I don’t think I’d ever want to live there, beautiful and relaxed as it may be. I’m pretty sure cedar’s what I’m allergic to (touching the tree or its leaves will give me a rash, so it stands to reason I’d be allergic to the pollen too—hell, that might be what causes the rash I often get during pollen season) and they live in a forest full of it.

Yoki took out the battery from Yuuki’s cell and then threw the battery into the swamp? I. don’t think that’s very environmentally friendly. Like, at all. Also, what the hell, he might not be able to use it while he’s here, but that doesn’t mean ya gotta destroy it!

3 Likes

Ah, I didn’t catch that part. What a nice detail, haha.

2 Likes

So there’s a Yuuki, a Yoki, and now a Yuuko too… -cries in bad with names-

They may have zero overlap in kanji, so it’s not as bad as it could be, but that doesn’t change that they all sound incredibly similar. Please tell me there aren’t any more…

4 Likes

In the English translation she is renamed to Risa. I suppose the translator decided that there was no way the readers could keep the names straight. :joy:

4 Likes