神去なあなあ series informal book club 🌲 🌳

Welcome to the 神去なあなあ Informal Reading Club :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree:

imageimage

神去なあなあ | L33 | Natively (learnnatively.com)

This is a short series of only two books, or rather, a standalone book and its sequel:
神去なあなあ日常 | L33 and 神去なあなあ夜話 | L33

Book 1 Discussion Thread: 神去なあなあ日常 Informal Reading Club
Book 2 Discussion Thread: 神去なあなあ夜話 Informal Reading Club

神去なあなあ日常

Japanese blurb

平野勇気、18歳。高校を出たらフリーターで食っていこうと思っていた。でもなぜか三重県の林業の現場に放り込まれてしまいーー。携帯も通じない山奥!ダニやヒルの襲来!勇気は無事、一人前になれるのか……? 四季のうつくしい神去村で、勇気と個性的な村人たちが繰り広げる騒動記!林業エンタテインメント小説の傑作。

English blurb

Yuki Hirano is just out of high school when his parents enroll him, against his will, in a forestry training program in the remote mountain village of Kamusari. No phone, no internet, no shopping. Just a small, inviting community where the most common expression is “take it easy.”

神去なあなあ夜話

Japanese blurb

三重県の山奥、神去(かむさり)村に放りこまれて一年が経った。最初はいやでたまらなかった田舎暮らしにも慣れ、いつのまにか林業にも夢中になっちゃった平野勇気、二十歳。村の起源にまつわる言い伝えや、村人たちの生活、かつて起こった事件、そしてそして、気になる直紀さんとの恋の行方などを、勇気がぐいぐい書き綴る。人気作『神去なあなあ日常』の後日譚。みんなたち、待たせたな!

English blurb

It’s been a year since Yuki Hirano left home—or more precisely, was booted from it—to study forestry in the remote mountain village of Kamusari. Being a woodsman is not the future he imagined, but his name means “courage,” and Yuki hopes to live up to it. He’s adapting to his job and learning constantly. In between, he records local legends—tales pulsing with life, passion, and wondrous gods. Kamusari has other charms as well. One of them is Nao.

Yuki’s crush on the only other young single person in the village isn’t a secret. Yet how impressed can she be with someone at least five years younger who makes less money and doesn’t even own a car? More daunting, she’s in love with another man. Finally finding his place among the villagers, a feeling deepened by his crush, Yuki seems headed for a dream life of adventure and camaraderie—and Nao could be the missing piece of that dream.

The plan is to start reading the sequel, 神去なあなあ夜話, in the beginning of April 2024 on April 15. Starting from the sequel is rather unconventional, but it’s only because the people who first formed this club have already read the first book independently (highly recommended by the way). My hope is that this thread can either house discussion for both books, or be the home thread for two separate threads, one for each book. Make sure to vote in the poll on whether you prefer one thread or separate threads for each book. Following poll results, this thread will be the home thread for both books. Each book will have a separate discussion thread, linked above.

In any case we will be reading this informally, which means you can join any time and read at whatever pace suits you. When you comment, make sure to use spoilers and to always mention up to where you’ve read (and in which book), so that other readers know when it’s safe to open spoilers.

Discussion Rules

• Please mention which chapter your comment is meant for.
  • Please use spoiler tags liberally, both for referring to the book’s contents and for speculation of your own. Label your spoilers accordingly so that people know when it’s safe to view them.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read 神去なあなあ with the book club?

• Yes
  • Not sure
  • No
0 voters

If so, which book are you interested in reading?

• Only 神去なあなあ日常 (and we’ll see about the sequel later)
  • Only 神去なあなあ夜話 (I’ve already read 日常, or don’t mind reading out of order)
  • Both
0 voters

If you’ll be reading 神去なあなあ日常, would you prefer…

• one thread for both books (this one)
  • a separate thread for each book (and this will be the home thread)
  • it’s fine either way
0 voters
3 Likes

I listened to about 1/3 of the first book in English and have been meaning to come back to it in Japanese. Not sure if I can make it through by April, but I might try. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Dunno when I’ll be able to start, but I’ve had 神去なあなあ日常 | L33 | Natively sitting on my shelf for a while, so it’d be good to finally read it!

6 Likes

These two are on the list of Miura Shion books I’ve been wanting to read. I’m planning on getting them next time I order from CDJapan, I’m just not sure whether I should use the current loyal customer coupon or wait for the regular mid-month one… I can never remember if the mid-month one is better or not.

5 Likes

Thank you for voting! I closed the poll and created separate threads for the two books. This will now be the home thread for the series, and will house discussion about both books and practical matters if they arise.

Book 1 Discussion Thread: 神去なあなあ日常 Informal Reading Club
Book 2 Discussion Thread : 神去なあなあ夜話 Informal Reading Club

5 Likes

It looks like people may want the start of the 神去なあなあ夜話 club to be pushed back, so here’s a poll to determine a suitable starting date:

If you are interested in reading 神去なあなあ夜話 (the sequel), when would you prefer the club to start?
  • Beginning of April
  • Mid-April
  • Beginning of May
  • Mid-May
  • June or later
  • Any time is good
0 voters
3 Likes

It seems there’s a slight preference for mid-April then? Shall we settle on that?

1 Like

There’s now a strong preference towards mid-April, so we’ll be starting this book April 15! :slight_smile:
Unless the poll results change dramatically once people start finishing the first book?

4 Likes