Learning languages like I’m chasing waterfalls (learning log)

This isn’t me offering a definitive answer, just my opinion as a layperson.
Since you learned and then relearned English before adulthood, to me I’d just call you native. I say this because I’ve known a few people in the same position and while they often feel less confident calling themselves natives, I’ve noticed that they simply don’t make the errors I’d associate with learners but the ones I’d associate with natives. Comparing them to highly, highly proficient English learners who learned in adulthood, the latter group will make small but noticeable mistakes at times when speaking that are just… Not the sort native speakers make.

I’m sure there’s some linguistic definition here, but that’s how I’d approach as someone who is not :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

That makes sense actually. For mistakes, I would agree that I don’t make the typical learner mistakes, which is probably because my understanding of English grammar can be summed up to “this sounds the most natural”.

I still feel weird about calling myself an English native speaker, but it wouldn’t make much sense for me to take a standardized English test again either.

5 Likes

A little update for this month. I have just started not one, not two but three bookclubs! Four even, if you count the one I have outside of Natively. I’m mostly focused on Korean for now, but the Spanish bookclub will soon be coming.
And before you say, oh this layout feels familiar, yes, I copied @bibliothecary 's because it looked nice :sweat_smile:

Book Clubs :books:

I honestly wasn’t expecting to participate in the 소리를 보는 소년 bookclub. Back in November, right after I discovered Natively, I attempted to read it, and let’s just say that the level was way too high for me. It wasn’t even a vocab problem, because I had the help of the vocab spreadsheet, I just was not understanding anything because of the grammar. I was too unfamiliar with the way grammar structures were combined to form longer more complex sentences, and if you add to that the fact that I didn’t even know a lot of those grammar points, it’s no wonder I failed at the time.

I don’t really know what I was thinking today, but I figured that since I’d been reading higher levels lately, I’d see how easily I can read 소리를 보는 소년 now. There’s a pretty big preview on Yes24, so I just went for it, and I really wasn’t expecting to be able to read it this easily! Now of course, it’s only easy compared to how it was before. However, going from barely understanding anything to being to read it, albeit slowly and with lots of vocab help and the occasional grammar check, in just a couple months, is really not something that I expected I’d be able to do.

I feel like I’ve improved my Korean more these past couple months than in the full year before that, and keep in mind, that’s when I was just a beginner! I’d been wondering how some people that had studied Korean for around the same time as me could already read so much, but I just needed to start actually reading in order to get better at it!

8 Likes

This is really true :pleading_face: sometimes you just need to get started at something to actually learn and be able to do it. The hard part is finding fun books that are at your level, but I guess that is where natively comes in! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

:laughing:

It would be useful if Natively had some kind of tracking for users’ book clubs… Perhaps an idea for a new product request. :thinking:

Amazing progress, btw! :+1:

4 Likes

FWIW there is one already and it’s one of the big goals the first half of the year! Book clubs management will absolutely be added to Natively :smiling_face:

8 Likes

I’ve just broken through the 3000 pages mark in Korean! This also means that my Spanish is lagging a bit behind, at 2885 pages currently. It’s crazy to think that I’ve read more in Korean since November than I have in Spanish since… 2013? Of course in Spanish I’ve read almost exclusively novels, so it’s not the same as the bulk of picture books and graded readers I’ve read in Korean, but still.

10 Likes

Wowow! That’s amazing, congrats!

I do think it also goes to show how hard Korean is though. :joy: :sob:

2 Likes

Wow nice! That’s such awesome progress! :clap:t2: For anecdotal data purposes, I’ve only read around 9,000 pages in Korean. I think you’ll definitely surpass me soon at that rate haha :rofl:

4 Likes

Same, I’m at 12k but it’s mostly stuff <L20, need to read some actual novels! :rofl:

Every time I see this thread that TLC song starts playing in my head… :musical_note:

3 Likes

I’d totally forgotten this song! That’s kinda the spirit though, I’m clearly reading above my level a lot. It’s hard, and a lot of people think it’s a crazy thing to do, but it works, so I don’t really care.

In this case, I’m definitely not sticking to what I’m used to and moving too fast, but again, as long as it works I’ll continue doing it!

6 Likes

charli-xcx-aesthetic

4 Likes

A little bit of a mid month update.

Spanish
I’ve passed the 3000 pages mark with Spanish! However the page gap with Korean has only gotten bigger, so I really need to read more Spanish. On another note, I feel like my Spanish reading has taken a weird turn. I’ve been trying to read mostly things that I can find for free, apart from what I already have. Hence, I’ve been reading very old books that went into public domain, and books that authors chose to publish for free for whatever reason. Short stories are nice, because I can read them in one sitting, and they’re more likely to be free, but they can also get very strange, very quickly. I never thought I’d ever read a story entirely focused on castration, but as they say, never say never!

Korean
For Korean, I’ve been reading a lot this month. I first noticed 바보 동자 | L22 in newly added books, so I read that, and then I went on a bit of a tangent looking for picture books to read. That raises the question: can I catch up to @bibliothecary 's book count? Probably not, but that won’t stop me from trying!

9 Likes

I have a list for that! :sunglasses:

Is trying to catch up to @Naphthalene’s book count :rofl:

Congrats! :partying_face: I think it’s natural that there’s a difference since you’re reading at a higher level in Spanish - I’m sure you could blast through lots of Spanish picture books to bump the numbers if you wanted to, though it may not be particularly challenging or enjoyable. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

@Naphthalene is on a whole other level. That book count and that page count :exploding_head:. I’d be curious as to how many years they’ve been learning Japanese for though. They joined Natively before I’d even started learning Korean :joy:

4 Likes

That’s without re-reads too. I have at least ~200 re-reads (mostly manga, though)

I started in 2007. It’s going to be 17 years in a few months. Although, I don’t think I’ve been doing any active learning for the past 5 years or so :thinking:
The first time I managed to read a manga was in 2009; the first time I finished a novel was in 2015. So, yes, numbers will pile up over time :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve just hit some milestones for Korean. 100 books finished, 4000 pages read, and 1000 gradings! What can I say, I’ve been reading a lot in the past 10 days.

I’ve also realized that I’ve already read 64 out of the 124 두루책방 graded readers, so I’m slowly but surely getting closer to my goal of finishing all of them!

11 Likes

My end of the month checkpoint will be coming soon! In the meantime though, I have just encountered bibliophiles’ heaven. I’ve always said that you can never have too many books, and this just proves my point. Nevermind that the floor is literally caving in from the weight of the books.

Unfortunately it was mostly French books, with a couple English ones hidden in there as well. However, the atmostphere of being surrounded by books in every direction was just perfect.

I have a feeling that if I continue buying more physical books, this is what my appartment will turn into. And, besides the logistic troubles that this would bring, especially when I move, I wouldn’t mind that. Books, books everywhere!

13 Likes

I can smell this room :joy:

9 Likes

Ah, I could die happily in that room, crushed to death by an avalanche of books. XD Is this a used bookshop?

7 Likes