Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

2 Likes

Some progress updates don’t seem to appear in the filtered view:

No filter

Progress Update filter

This just happened to me again with Essential Japanese: An Introduction to the Standard Colloquial Language | L5 – I added a review, and it hasn’t been auto marked as “finished”, and the review doesn’t display for me on the page. I’ll write up a bug…

2 Likes

I can confirm. I did it with 86―エイティシックス―Ep.3 ―ラン・スルー・ザ・バトルフロント―〈下〉 | L37
I can’t see the review nor edit it.

2 Likes

What were you filtering by?

Progress updates.

2 Likes

I see. Mind creating a bug ticket?

I’m playing in this space right now with book providers, so i’ll check it out as i’m in here in the next day or two.

3 Likes

Is the “short story” category intended for single short stories like 雪女 | L25 or for full length books which are collections of short stories like おばちゃんたちのいるところ-Where The Wild Ladies Are | L32 or for both? (I had assumed from it being in the singular that it would only be the former, so was a bit surprised to also find the latter…)

5 Likes

I asked before, and it includes single short stories as well as collections where each story is ~50 pages or shorter

5 Likes

I too had asked and it’s both. I still find it confusing though.

5 Likes

Maybe “short stories and collections” would be a better name for that category? Unless it’s too long…

6 Likes

I think it makes sense to differentiate between a single short story and a collection, personally. Usually it’s obvious, but not always.

7 Likes

I tend to agree – to me they feel significantly different. I am unlikely to want to read a single short story (partly since I prefer paper books and a paper single short story is very unlikely, but also it’s like dealing in fiddling small change :slight_smile: ). Conversely somebody relatively new to reading might actively want a single story because it’s shorter and less of a commitment than an entire collection of them.

There are probably a few awkward cases where the Natively entry covers both a single short story on Aozora and also a real physical book which is a collection of stories of which the Aoroza one is just the title story. 陰翳礼讃 | L44 has that, but for nonfiction essays.

6 Likes

This could probably be solved via the advanced tag system that is planned (?). Or via the advanced search functionality, if you can filter for page count. :thinking:

5 Likes

I finally figured out what was going on here. My local time was out of sync because my motherboard battery seems to have died and windows didn’t do the syncing often enough, so sometimes my local clock would just be out of sync with the server. :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Or me, who just enjoys reading a short story as a pallette cleanser between longer reads, or doing an Aozora Advent short story challenge.

I will say the very large number of short stories I’ve read probably confuses my total book count, but that’s true on BookMeter as well.

6 Likes

Yeah for sure. We could certainly put the ‘book type’ into the content tags… and have a ‘short story collection’ book type.

I do think that grouping short story collections with short stories makes more sense than placing them in novels, but neither is a really great option and it’s a bit confusing, agreed @pm215

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this is planned or requested or something entirely unmentioned thus far (doubt it, but can’t find it) - are there plans for the advanced tagging or edition handling to show links between books/manga/tv shows/movies? Ex, 容疑者Xの献身 | L34?? and https://learnnatively.com/book/5cc882d1e4/ ?

*which isn’t showing a link preview for me but should show 容疑者Xの献身 | L33

5 Likes

I think this request covers what you’re talking about: Crosslinking between different media forms of the same title/property

Yeah, would be very nice. Like I said in the request, I like how AniList does their ‘relations’, which is a simple link with a ‘relation’ description (live action adaptation, manga adaptation… etc).

:confused: come on discourse.

7 Likes

Aha! Thank you for that. Added my vote.

shaking-fist-dark-mode

5 Likes