Seeking TV/Movie Recommendations Thread 📽📺

Creating a seeking recommendations thread for video sources based on the
The Seeking Recommendations Thread

7 Likes

Earlier I had asked in the book recommendations thread:

1 Like

I don’t have any specific recs. I remember seeing those things on Japanese TV, but I do not remember any names. However, I believe often those segments were part of some daytime variety show.
You could google グルメ 旅 番組 or something along those lines. 旅 and グルメ is basically synonymous on Japanese TV, I feel. There is no travel segment without at least 50% being devoted to local food/restaurants. :rofl:

You potentially might enjoy 孤独のグルメ S1 | L30??
It’s fiction but afaik the restaurants are all actual non-chain restaurants. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

That definitely looks like something I’d enjoy! I’ll need to figure out where to source it from since it’s not streaming anywhere where I live, but that’s not the end of the world. :innocent:

2 Likes

That’s really not what you asked for, but maybe it’s kind of interesting anyway? I like this YouTube channel where someone goes into different apartments and gets shown around. People are excited to show off their knickknacks and stuff haha

5 Likes

Not what I asked for, but something I didn’t know I needed in my life until now. Thanks for the rec, I’ll be binging a ton of these!

6 Likes

With a VPN you can make the streaming come to you instead if you’re okay paying a little extra each month. E.g. I’m in Germany, which definitely doesn’t have that series either, but I can watch it on Japanese Netflix right now with NordVPN. (Sometimes it breaks for a while when Netflix takes up the battle against VPNs again, but in the end it always starts working again.)

1 Like

I thought with the crackdown on password sharing that VPNs weren’t going to work anymore?
(And honestly, I wonder if that’s not what they actually had wanted to crack down on and password sharing was a good cover for it).

1 Like

Please don’t tell my Netflix/VPN :wink:

Without/with VPN

There are always days (and at worst, weeks) where it doesn’t work for a bit while Netflix is “winning”, and then it starts working again once VPNs pull ahead.

4 Likes

I really enjoy「バナナマンせっかくグルメ!」(You might have seen in on TV) They leave a big cutout/model of the show’s host in a random location. The model has a tablet it in that the host uses to communicate with people passing by. The first person to approach gets to recommend a local restaurant, as well as one dish they recommend the host to try there. They travel to a lot of unique locations. There are also funny moments where nobody is going near the place where the tablet is, so it is just the voice’s sad little voice coming from a tablet trying to lure people over :laughing:
You can watch it here, but it might be region locked (I live in Japan so I am not sure)? :thinking: https://www.tbs.co.jp/sekkaku-g/
It also sounds like it’s on AmazonJapan.

3 Likes

Oh that sounds great too!
I have a VPN that I think will spoof TBS at least…it’s just not up to fighting Netflix.

1 Like

I used it a week or two ago to watch an ep of アバター 伝説の少年アン | L30?? and it worked fine thankfully (also that was kinda weird… so I guess dubs are just weird in any language, if you’ve seen the original :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I think they give you a little bit of leeway for if you’re traveling, but if you tried it all the time they’d try and lock your account? At least that’s my impression. They kicked my mom off our account and she says that she can watch it about once or twice a month. Although I do take tech things that my mom has trouble with with a grain of salt :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

Could someone please recommend me a music program on japanese tv? Something which actually features some music not just people talking about music.

5 Likes

Do you want a show where artists do an interview and come on to play their music, or a show where people are talking about music more generally?

If the former, if HeyHeyHey is still a thing, that might work for you. I haven’t thought about that show in 25 years… so it’s super possible it doesn’t exist anymore. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh look at that, my VPN can fool TVer.

5 Likes

This HeyHeyHey show stopped airing over ten years ago. :rofl:

Something like that would be awesome I am sure I saw shows like that on japanese tv but I forgot to write down the channel and time they aired.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time since I was obsessed enough with Japanese music to watch any :rofl:
I thought it was unlikely that it was still around but thought it was worth a shot.

2 Likes

any good live action shows that aren’t dramas? Something laidback would be nice, I don’t really care the genre, it could be interviews for all I care, I just want something other than drama in the live action department lol. I’m at an N3 level but fine with more difficult shows : )

2 Likes

Have you seen はじめてのおつかい S1 | L20 ?
I actually haven’t, but from what I know about it, it fits chill, live action, and N3.

2 Likes