The 2023 Advent Reading Club(s)! 🎄 ⛄ ❄

❅12月6日❅

I read 4 of the 54字の物語, and though it’s a couple days late now, I also read 走れメロス from the Aozora calendar.

Today’s informal book club is for the 4-koma manga はんだくん (also ばらかもん technically, though I don’t own that one).

❅12月7日❅

I read 4 more of the 54字の物語.

I guess for one definition, the first was the first one I'd needed the 解説 to understand it, but it was because I'd had a different interpretation.

数分間の格闘の末、彼が釣り上げたのは小さなゴム片だった。世界中の海面が少しずつ下がり始めたのはこの日からだ。

I thought he’d decided to single-handedly fish up all the trash in the ocean (I pictured Animal Crossing tbh), so the water level goes down a tiny bit each time because of the water that the trash had displaced. Especially if he also extracts the big stuff like sunken ships and all those rubber tires that had been dumped in the ocean.

But that small piece of trash wasn’t meant to be just any ordinary piece of trash but a stopper—the man fishes it up, not knowing how important it is, and all the water starts draining beneath the Earth’s crust like a giant bathtub! Good thing this is fiction; that would be pretty terrifying…

I guess the clue is that it’s a several-second struggle to fish up a small piece of trash. Though I could see something being stuck in sand or silt or tangled up in seaweed or something and be difficult to fish up because of that.

The fourth one I needed the 解説 because I don’t know geography lol (also I didn’t notice the kanji mix-up…)

Today’s informal book club is for the LN and manga series 宝石商リチャード氏の謎鑑定

❅12月8日❅

I read 3 of the 54字の物語.

Today’s informal book club is for a baseball manga, 8月アウトロー

❅12月9日❅

I read 4 of the 54字の物語. The last one involved some wordplay that tbh I’m not sure I would have gotten even if I hadn’t gotten caught up on “Wait, but that isn’t a word, what.” It involved a missing radical, of all things. The characters were trying to talk about a theft, but the thief had stolen plates—including the plate radical! So every instance of 盗 turned into 次. I do know the kanji, but I still doubt I’d have made the connection.

Today’s informal book club is for the sci-fi manga 彼方のアストラ

❅12月10日❅

I read 4 of the 54字の物語.

Today’s informal book club is for the music BL manga ギヴン

❅12月11日❅

I read 4 of the 54字の物語.

Today’s informal book club is for one of my comfort series, 夏目友人帳

❅12月12日❅

I read 3 of the 54字の物語.

Today’s informal book club is for the cooking/child-raising not-actually-BL manga, パパと親父のウチご飯

4 Likes