Week 13 of 📚 本好きの下剋上 / 책벌레의 하극상 🪱

Welcome all to week 13 of our Bookworm bookclub!

bookworm_kr

Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Number Ch. Name :jp: Ch. Name :kr: Ending% / Page# :jp: Ending Page# :kr: # of Pages :jp: # of Pages :kr:
13 Nov 27 26 エピローグ 에필로그 88%/320 322 14 15

Junior JP version

(No page numbers known)

(Home thread) week 12 | week 14

Character Table
English Japanese Korean Notes
Myne マイン 마인 Protagonist (Eng. also written “Main”)
Tuuli トゥーリ 투리 Myne’s older sister
Effa エーファ 에파 Myne’s mother
Günter ギュンター 귄터 Myne’s father
Lutz ルッツ 루츠 Friend; same age as Myne
Ralph ラルフ 랄프 Friend; same age as Tuuli
Carla カルラ 칼라 Lutz and Ralph’s mother
Fey フェイ 페이 Friend; same age as Tuuli
Otto オットー 오토 Subordinate to Günter

Discussion ground rule suggestions

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for week 13?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’ve dropped the book
0 voters
1 Like

Just a heads up to my readers that this week officially marks the end of the main story! Next week, though technically our final week, only covers two side stories not connected to the main narrative, so once you finish this week, if you have no interest in side stories, you’re done! Congrats! :tada:

3 Likes

Aaaaah, I misunderstood and listened until the end.
That’s a very short week, then :sweat_smile:
Honestly, I’d recommend reading the first story on top of the epilogue, since it gives some extra context about the world.
The last story, though, is completely unrelated. It’s somewhat funny, but nothing special. Might as well push it to next week :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In hindsight I should’ve just bundled this week with last week’s reading for a slightly longer week, but oh well. Or bundled this week with next. :thinking:

1 Like

Wow, that was a wild epilogue! Not only was it really interesting to hear about Myne’s abnormal actions and intelligence from other people, it was also super exciting to have it confirmed that there is magic in this world. Of course, it’s very concerning to hear that Myne’s 身食い disease is literally her magic consuming her body’s growth/life resources, but it’s also helpful to know that there is a way to solve the problem. Thinking in more positive terms, magic tool + nobility + books, right? I wonder if it will get resolved before or after her 洗礼式, and also if anything unusual will happen there? I’m very intrigued! All in all, a fantastic epilogue that finished off the main story in the book really well. It answered some questions and left me with new theories about what will happen next. (I wrote this comment when I read ahead and finished the book a few weeks ago, and I’m really enjoying the series and am now on book 6!) I’m very glad that I started the series with this book club, because I didn’t know anything about the series at the time besides that it was popular and this gave the push to finally try it out.

6 Likes

Wow, you read books 2-5 between writing this comment and now? You must’ve really enjoyed them!

3 Likes

I know, right? I had the exact same feeling the first time I read the book. I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling like that :sweat_smile:

Nice! I really liked the way the story start moving from that volume. (I think it’s hinted at in the prologue?)

I can completely relate. At the time, I was going through a volume every 2-3 days. I think there’s one volume I even read in a single day… (Bookmeter, to the rescue!)
Volume 13! Of course. That makes absolute sense (and I won’t elaborate any further :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

Yeah the prologue implied that more action is going to happen, which I’m excited for. There was way too much ink making for me in the previous volume but the ending was so good that I’m hoping there were be similar stuff volume 6! I’m only ~60 pages in so TBD though.

Now I’m excited (only 8 more volumes to go haha)! The series is so long that I told myself I should take breaks between arcs, but… I don’t think I have that kind of self-discipline when it’s so much fun! :joy: Sadly real life is quite busy rn and I have the JLPT next week, so I’ll probably have to go more slowly for a bit :cry:

2 Likes

God that part nearly killed me. At least, I don’t remember anything that bad in the later volumes.

2 Likes

I think I read the epilogue the day after I finished the main story. I like that it recontextualized a lot of things in the book, and it was fun to get a look behind the curtain, so to speak of Otto’s family. I remember Gunter’s comment way back when that Otto was obsessed with his wife and thought he was just being spiteful, but man oh man was he right :sweat_smile:

I don’t think my curiosity has been piqued quite enough to read the next book, but I started the anime with Japanese subs and we’ll see where it goes from there. I can tell how much is omitted from the anime since an episode seems to be about 2 chapters worth of content, so it’s nice to know that if I fall in love somewhere along the line that there’s more to read in the books themselves.

On that note, I think I’m gonna bow out for the short stories for now. So yeah, thank you all for sticking it out and giving me reason to keep going. This is my too date hardest book and I wouldn’t have thought to attempt it without the book club!

:face_with_spiral_eyes:
I was HARDLY able to keep up with a chapter a day when I was trying to catch back up to book club. Honestly, I find it hard to read that much in English unless I’m obsessed with a book.

6 Likes

Now those dancing mushrooms and self-shaking trees make a lot more sense.

Yes.

I didn’t check anything other than the LN, but I’ve heard that the manga is better than the anime. Maybe the manga could also be a good compromise between content and difficulty?

4 Likes

I am incredibly relieved to hear that.

1 Like

Finished with this week’s reading! :slight_smile: It was fun to look back on everything from a different pov and it was a good “refresher” on the details of the story and how others view Myne. I have since started reading vol. 4 after a gap of around a year from vol. 3, so the refresher was appreciated!

After having read vol. 1 again now, I think it is a bit boring/frustrating to read, which is a shame. If I hadn’t have seen the anime and only read vol. 1, I don’t think I would have been interested in continuing. It makes sense to have included all her attempts at making paper/ink/whatever and struggling to integrate with her family, but I can’t wait to get to the exciting plot stuff in the upcoming volumes!

5 Likes

Ugggggh. All of you talking about the rest of the series in all the different threads are really making me curious about the next books. Maybe … I do keep reading after all? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

As far as I can tell, they literally all get better from volume 1. Intriguing, no?

4 Likes

5 Likes

Yesssssss join the 本好き side.

5 Likes

Was fighting for my life these last few days to try and catch up on like 4-5 weeks of reading I’d slacked off on, thank goodness the epilogue was interesting. If it had been another longer-than-average chapter about the struggle to live in a world without soy sauce, I would have flipped a table lmao.
I’m curious to see how the story continues in the 2nd book. This story got on my nerves sometimes, but overall I don’t regret reading it at all. The extra stories next week will be a nice way to wind down. I’m glad the book club was around to give me enough of a sense of obligation to stick with it the whole way, I learned a lot and the book was a good time overall.

5 Likes

Finally caught up and finished the book yesterday, and wow! Having only seen the anime, I have to say the LN is really, really good. I don’t remember if the epilogue was adapted in the anime or not, but it was a really great way to wrap things up and make me want to go pick up the second volume. Getting to hear Myne’s thoughts on everything is like getting to listen to the commentary track for your favourite movie

I was thinking this as well. It did a really good job at painting a more complete picture as to just how weird Myne acts from the perspective of people who have native to the world she’s been transported to, as well as doing a really good job at distinguishing between the general attitudes of the society they live in, and how the attitudes of the adults around her differ. ベンノ has clearly become intrigued in Myne as a vehicle for profit, オットー is appreciative of her ability to help him at his job, her dad’s overly-doting personality blinds him from second guessing her, and her mom and sister are so used to watching her try and fail things that to them, her succeeding seems more like luck than anything else.

I haven’t read the manga but I’d say the anime is still quite good, good enough to get me into the series at least. I’ve heard it cuts some content at various points to keep the pacing consistent and to avoid getting hung up for too long, but nothing ever felt wrong with it. Going off memory, but most of the first volume is adapted into the first 8-12 episodes or so. I’m pretty sure the babysitting/daycare stuff was cut, and I don’t remember if the attempts at 木簡 were left in, but by in large it was all there

5 Likes