Week 2 🧹 魔女の宅急便 🐈‍⬛ Kiki's Delivery Service 🌙

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start
Date
Chapter Pages
2 May 20 3 20

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.

Polls

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
5 Likes

Oh wow, I finished up on Sunday and I’m still the first one to post? :sweat_smile:

I’m still enjoying the story so far. I felt like this week was a little bit harder than last week’s reading. Mostly it’s adverbs that I don’t know so I’m happy to extensively read (listen?).

I haven’t seen the movie in years but I’m surprised how closely it’s followed the story for that so far. I had thought that the movie was only loosely based on the book, but maybe I was thinking of another Ghibli adaptation?

6 Likes

Not sure if the structure of the book counts as spoilers, so I will blur it out :sweat_smile:

From what I remember, the book becomes fairly episodic, with each chapter being its own little story with its own characters (aside from Kiki). The movie took some of those and has them play simultaneously, and also adds an overarching plot for Kiki.

… also, you made me want to rewatch the movie :joy:

6 Likes

My audible subscription expired before I was able to finish so now I have to read the book manually waw waw. :melting_face:

3 Likes

I’m definitely going to rewatch it when I’m done with the book. :grin:

…and maybe also some of my other Ghibli faves :joy:

3 Likes

I’m still on chapter 2 :sob:

4 Likes

Is there a last line for this week? I’m unsure where I’m up to since I’m reading digitally!

never mind I can't read lmao

Week 2 is aaaaaall the way to the end of Chapter 3. It’s by far the longest chapter at 12.5k words (next longest is like 9kish).

A last line would be good if anyone has a paper copy. Otherwise I’ll just eyeball it at 57% into the chapter. :sweat_smile:

edit: I was accidentally a week ahead of the book club here. See my next post below.

last line

ジジはそういうと、もうすーすーと寝息をたてていました。

I OCRed it from my physical copy, so apologies if there are mistakes.

2 Likes

I’m a little late, but I finally found the time to listen to chapter three. In general, I’m finding this to be great listening practice.

It was interesting to hear Kiki’s family’s theories on why magic has been disappearing. The rest of the chapter was quite similar to the movie. I hope that later chapters will diverge a bit.

3 Likes

I think that’s the end of week 3? Was wondering if there was a fixed break for the end of week 2. I suspect I’ve passed it!

Oh you’re right. I got myself ahead a week by reading the schedule wrong and that’s the end of that week. I forgot to come back and fix it.

I didn’t see an obvious line break at that page, but this is the end of the 20th page for me.

last line

「ずいぶん、いせいのいいこというじゃない。でもさっきの町みたいに、もう魔女が住んでるかもしれないよ」

1 Like