🇰🇷 🇯🇵 Week 2 of 後宮の烏 / 후궁의 까마귀 🪶 👩

5fa56bde-2ab1-4292-bdf6-0f20019630bd

Schedule

Week Final line Percentage Characters
2 九九がぽかんとしてそれを眺めていた。 13 16.438

Home thread | week 1 | week 3

Jpdb deck for the book:

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Character Name Pronunciations
Kanji Reading
衛青 えいせい
夏高峻 か•こうしゅん
柳寿雪 りゅう•じゅせつ
星星 シンシン
Are you joining us for week 2?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
0 voters
2 Likes

Seems like Naphthalene called it. :grin:

I like 九九, I hope she shows up more. Nothing much to say in regards to the investigation, but I found it interesting that we find out 寿雪 has some white (?) hair she’s super conscious about right after learning that originally the reigning family has silver hair…

5 Likes

It’s my 6th 後宮-type series. I’m starting to see a pattern :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

What are the other 5?

I decided to try watching the anime ep, which ends with Koushun catching site of Jusetsu’s hair in the water. It’s mostly identical, and has been helpful with maintaining interest, and making things a bit easier to comprehend. Also I really liked that her request to Koushun at the end of the last section turned out to be the palace lady garments. There’s something neat about her going “fine, I’ll just figure it on my own then” combined with “magic lady just goes to talk to the commoners, and ends up learning she’s a bit clueless in the process”

I kinda wish I wasn’t reading a million other things rn, so I could slow down and take in some of the vocab more.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Neat! I added 後宮妃の管理人~寵臣夫婦は試される to my list. Almost added 花街の用心棒花は凍と後宮を守り, but your review convinced me otherwise

4 Likes

That’s the end of next week, by the way.
I decided to read a liiiiiittle bit ahead and came across that part.
I should really stop now, but weeks aren’t coming fast enough.
Needless to say, I have no issue maintaining interest.

It’s not horrible and it was entertaining enough if you like the genre… but your reaction to the current pick makes me doubt that :sweat_smile: (it’s definitely the weakest of the bunch as far as I am concerned, though)
I feel like you’re going to have the same problem with 管理人 by the way. Better check a free preview before buying anything.

4 Likes

Surprised to hear that… They skip right to it in the anime

If/when I get around to it, I’ll already have completed two harder entries in the genre (this + 薬屋のひとりごと), so that will probably balance things out a bit. Will keep in mind though.

Tbh, my enjoyment of the 後宮の烏 was being impacted by too much unfamiliar vocab (making it feel slow) + stress about pacing. I’ve dropped some other stuff now, so less stressed, and I think I’m enjoying it more.

2 Likes

I finally finished this week’s reading :books: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I’m having to do so many cards on jpdb just to keep up. I got up to 15 percent read before I reached the stopping point, but my version might be different.

I don’t have any comments about the story. I didn’t realise there was an anime until I saw a post here, so I watched the first episode. It helped the comprehension because I was getting confused with who is who.

It’s vaguely interesting so far. Not much has happened yet, so I’m still not sure if this is my kind of thing.

5 Likes

No, it’s the same for me. I remember some discussion in the home thread. I think the percentages are based on page number in the physical version.

Same, which is why pushed ahead a bit. (Including that part) I do like it so far.

4 Likes

I’m sure I’ve watched the first 3 episodes of the anime adaptation back when it was airing, then stopped to read the novels sometime in future. But I remember next to nothing now :sweat_smile:
Nevertheless I’m not going to write any theories for now to avoid possible spoilers.
From the very little I can remember from the anime I can say that I’m liking the novel more because characters are a little more fleshed out since we can read more of their thoughts.

Overall I enjoy the calm tone of this book but still there’s not much to discuss really, unless the story focuses more on that mystery solving parts, or we learn more about our MCs’ backgrounds, which based on hints we’ve got I’m sure we’ll get there soon. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m liking it thus far, it’s doing a good job of teasing the bigger mysteries behind the main ones. I think I might watch the anime after the book club ends, I don’t want to have the anime change the way I imagine the characters.

I hope 九九 becomes a recurring side-character / sidekick. She and 寿雪 are a nice contrast.

(Side note, how do you type characters names when they are not common readings of kanji? 九九 is easy but I’ve been copypasting 寿雪)

4 Likes

When I want to type 寿雪 I’d just type them individually ことぶき then select the character and then ゆき and select the character :laughing:

Or if I wasnt sure of the kunyomi reading I type a longer word with that character in it then erase the characters that I don’t need e.g. 寿命

3 Likes

Same as @clam0618, except if I am typing it a lot. Then I go through the trouble of adding it to the IME.
On my phone, I just need to select the word, then “user dictionary” and add the reading for it.

3 Likes

How many lines you have per pg will affect this. If you have less lines, there are more pages, so the percentage is measured more frequently (precisely). If you have more lines per page, there’s less pages, and the percentage is measured less precisely. So there will be some variation, depending on your setup.

2 Likes

Makes sense :smiley:
Thank you.

1 Like

I could understand for a 1% difference (because rounding will give that kind of difference) but a 2% discrepancy is quite huge, though (~6 physical pages here)

It’s not just a matter of rounding though. It’s rounding + measuring in broader strokes. Sorta like the difference between measuring in 1/4ths vs 1/6ths (tho less drastic). In my case: phone is 1/319ths vs tablet 1/327ths vs physical 1/320ths… Except the phone & tablet numbers include the front & back covers, table of contents, etc - which will shift the percentage a bit as well (by 4 pgs worth probably)

2 Likes
Getting out of topic

I’m sorry, I think you lost me here. Are you talking about number of virtual pages handled by the device (so, the increment when you turn a page) or the actual number of pages of those texts?
In the former case, that would mean your phone displays slightly more than one physical page per screen page, while the tablet has slightly less, which seems counterintuitive :sweat_smile:
If the different versions correspond to a different number of actual pages, though, that would indeed give differences in the percentages, but I am then confused at to why the initial schedule goes to 100%

Those are also included in the printed version. Typically, the first printed page will be page 5, the cover and its back being respectively 1 and 2, the title page (and back) being 3 and 4 (but usually do not have an apparent page number). By the way, back cover is also counted when the publisher provides info about how many pages are in a book (that’s why services like bookmeter or natively are somewhat overestimating the number of pages read)
Case in point, the physical preview shows that the main text starts on page 6
Edit: it’s page 7 in my ebook, because there’s an extra page about the legal details of the ebook.

In any case, the publisher has an online preview of the physical book, showing the page numbers. This week ends on page 47.

To take your examples (assuming they correspond to removed/extra pages)
47/319 = 14.7 ~ 15
47/320 = 14.6 ~ 15
47/327 = 14.4 ~ 14

None of those give 13% (not even close), so I am still unclear as to where that number came from.

1 Like
more off topic

I was referring to virtual pages. And that’s correct, I set the line spacing on my phone very narrow, so it displayed 15 lines per pg, vs my tablet which displays 14 per pg

Ahh my premise was wrong then. Sry about that

On my tablet and phone, the end of this week is p43 (which would correspond to physical p47). In which case 43/327 = 13.1 & 43/319 = 13.47… so I guess I’m not having the same issue.

I’m curious - does your app or reader show pg numbers? If so, do they match the app’s displayed percentage?

Tbh the more I think about this, the less I can think straight (it’s also 3:30AM here :sweat_smile:) … So I think I’ll just join you in being confused at this point

2 Likes